First Build; No Budget

JLCitadel

Just because I have no budget, doesn't mean I'm going to piss money away on dimishing returns where I won't be able to tell the difference, or a tiny increase in performance for benchmarking. There's a difference between having no budget, and pissing money in the toilet. As for the x79, I assume you're referring to a motherboard? I'm still brand new to computer building, so I'm not sure what this is referring to but I'll look into it.

I see Linus swear by them, and I'd use them, as for the SSD's that's not necessary. I figured it would be, so I will definitely take those out. How many rads do you think is enough?

I'm not looking for a insanely overkill build, that pisses money away. I'm looking to build one that will last, for a smart reasonable price. I'm looking for quality products with longevity in the operating, and future proof as well. Now I'm certainly aware that Gpu & Cpus get outclassed very quickly, but it's not a big deal to replace those, 1200$ every couple of years.

on the rads, 2 480's is probably still overkill (assuming you can get them both in the case with out modding), honestly id post in the water cooling subforum and ask, they will be able to help way more than me, ive only ever water cooled one computer, i mostly stick to high end air. remember that if you are going to be changing out the cpu in a few years, you will also need a new motherboard (and therefore a clean OS install) gpus can be swapped easily, but dont discount storage replacement, figure that a good cpu/gpu that you keep cool and dust free could last 4+ years however i usually replace hard drives every 2, either due to a drive failure or due to storage needs. hope this helps.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

There is never overkill when it comes to cooling people :).  Why not a 4930k?

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

you don't think the 360 rad will fit in the front of a 900D? I've seen one there, but i could be wrong

This is the video that Linus did a overkill build but which looks like yours. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44526-august-10th-overkill-buyers-guide-where-to-buy-components/ around the 26-27 min he say something about the 360 rad in the front not fitting.

Everyday Rig: CPU: Intel i7 3930k (stock), Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Advance Edition, Ram: 32Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, Storage: 128Gb Samsung 830, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX Noctua F12 iPPC 2000RPM and Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM, Windows 10 Pro, Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 80Gold, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Keyboard: Corsair K65 Cherry Red,  Mouse: Razer Mamba TE

There is never overkill when it comes to cooling people :).  Why not a 4930k?

Price to performance increase is not nearly worth it. The new ones coming out are a disappointment. As for the watercooling, do you know if the gpu blocks need to be replaced every generation? 600 700 etc.. If so it's sorta pointless with a new gen every year. Plus with 15 fans I'm pretty sure GPU won't even come close to overheating, I'm only looking to clock the processor to stable 4.7 range.

3 titans would be much much faster than 2 770's in benchmarks but maybe not games. 

That's true, I might go the path of the 790 being released soon, then sli that when it's not longer top of the line.

on the rads, 2 480's is probably still overkill (assuming you can get them both in the case with out modding), honestly id post in the water cooling subforum and ask, they will be able to help way more than me, ive only ever water cooled one computer, i mostly stick to high end air. remember that if you are going to be changing out the cpu in a few years, you will also need a new motherboard (and therefore a clean OS install) gpus can be swapped easily, but dont discount storage replacement, figure that a good cpu/gpu that you keep cool and dust free could last 4+ years however i usually replace hard drives every 2, either due to a drive failure or due to storage needs. hope this helps.

I don't think you're aware of the sheer size of my case. It was designed with overkill watercooling in mind.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price to performance increase is not nearly worth it. The new ones coming out are a disappointment. As for the watercooling, do you know if the gpu blocks need to be replaced every generation? 600 700 etc.. If so it's sorta pointless with a new gen every year. Plus with 15 fans I'm pretty sure GPU won't even come close to overheating, I'm only looking to clock the processor to stable 4.7 range.

That's true, I might go the path of the 790 being released soon, then sli that when it's not longer top of the line.

I don't think you're aware of the sheer size of my case. It was designed with overkill watercooling in mind.

900D is huge i was just assuming the 480s wouldnt both fit in the bottom section due to the power supply, i may also have a personal bias here as i tend to like very clean builds and putting the second 480 anywhere else would complicate the cooling loop :)

as to the waterblocks they tend (not always, but usually) to be specific to the cards (reference vs non-reference, 770 vs 780, etc)

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

900D is huge i was just assuming the 480s wouldnt both fit in the bottom section due to the power supply, i may also have a personal bias here as i tend to like very clean builds and putting the second 480 anywhere else would complicate the cooling loop :)

as to the waterblocks they tend (not always, but usually) to be specific to the cards (reference vs non-reference, 770 vs 780, etc)

I'm very good with managing and keeping things clean or organized, I'll be taking my time when doing my build to ensure it's perfectly clean, cool, sexy, sensible, and future proof. Does this include cross generation? Like a 670 and 770 would have different water blocks? I'm assuming so, as for ram cooling blocks, would they differ as well?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very good with managing and keeping things clean or organized, I'll be taking my time when doing my build to ensure it's perfectly clean, cool, sexy, sensible, and future proof. Does this include cross generation? Like a 670 and 770 would have different water blocks? I'm assuming so, as for ram cooling blocks, would they differ as well?

usually (almost always, this gen may have some overlap with 600 due to the split gk104/gk110 chipset) with cross gen cards you need new blocks, btw make sure to get blocks that are compatible or you will burn out the card, not to mention that water cooling parts dont last forever, gaskets wear out, blocks crack, etc. as for ram it depends, if you stick with dominator you should be fine but other solutions will vary, but as i mentioned earlier not much of a point in putting your memory underwater, mostly just epeen/ making your loop look the way you want. you are better off putting your chipset/mosfet underwater than your ram. look at the asus maximum vi formula, it has a built in block on the mosfet, thermal armor (if you like the sabertooth visual)

usually (almost always, this gen may have some overlap with 600 due to the split gk104/gk110 chipset) with cross gen cards you need new blocks, btw make sure to get blocks that are compatible or you will burn out the card, not to mention that water cooling parts dont last forever, gaskets wear out, blocks crack, etc. as for ram it depends, if you stick with dominator you should be fine but other solutions will vary, but as i mentioned earlier not much of a point in putting your memory underwater, mostly just epeen/ making your loop look the way you want.

Well I was thinking, it'd almost be pointless to do cooling, if I only had water going to the cpu block, i'd have only 5 tubes, if i counted right? been a long day lol & I'm not completely sure how radiators work

Well I was thinking, it'd almost be pointless to do cooling, if I only had water going to the cpu block, i'd have only 5 tubes, if i counted right? been a long day lol & I'm not completely sure how radiators work

if this is your first water cooled box, post in the water cooling forum and ask for help, as ive said ive water cooled only 1 machine, some of those guys are mad crazy skilled at water cooling they can help much more than i can. if your looking for aesthetics then use the memory block, just realize it wont really help performance. i edited my above post, might want to check it out. you should put up some pics when you start building this beast. :)

if this is your first water cooled box, post in the water cooling forum and ask for help, as ive said ive water cooled only 1 machine, some of those guys are mad crazy skilled at water cooling they can help much more than i can. if your looking for aesthetics then use the memory block, just realize it wont really help performance. i edited my above post, might want to check it out. you should put up some pics when you start building this beast. :)

I actually will be doing a video log along with posting pictures, I'll attempt an instructional video like Linus has with his, I'll also mention how to build a similar computer for cheaper, & as long as memory blocks work cross gens, like ddr2>3>4 cooling blocks are the same ya know? & It is my first watercooling build, I'm going to watch more indepth videos on it.

I actually will be doing a video log along with posting pictures, I'll attempt an instructional video like Linus has with his, I'll also mention how to build a similar computer for cheaper, & as long as memory blocks work cross gens, like ddr2>3>4 cooling blocks are the same ya know? & It is my first watercooling build, I'm going to watch more indepth videos on it.

youll have to check compatibility but the blocks should just sit on top of the memory (scewed on). again check online for compatibility and ask the experts over in the water cooling sub-forum. cant wait to see the video log.

I need static pressure fans for the radiators, and noctua's are ugly as hell. Idc how good they are, and I'm not custom painting fans.

u can also go sycthe GTs I also wudd recommend going the gtx 770 4gb models cost a little more but u can get better fps on that 2560 monitor or u can even go 7970s they perform jus as good as gtx 770s and have 3 gb cost less or I wudd even say buy gtx 780s also for cpu and mobo go for 3930k socket 2011 cuz ivy bridge e coming out soon and it will prob rape haswell in performance again these are suggestions

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

Such an all out build for a first one....

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

he prob saved up money so he cudd go all out instead of being impatient and jus buying one when he wanted it or he has a good job and gets paid well enough to buy this

System Specs~~~~~

Case-Corsair Air 540                                   CPU-i7 4770k                           Ram-Corsair Vengeance 16 Gbs    PSU-Corsair RM1000

Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula    Graphics-Asus Gtx 780 Ti x2     CPU Cooler-Corsair H100i               SSDs-Corsair Force GS 128/360 Gb       

he prob saved up money so he cudd go all out instead of being impatient and jus buying one when he wanted it or he has a good job and gets paid well enough to buy this

But for a first build, thats pretty good.

If only i was smart first build (current build). November 2011.

I used a 750w power supply from cooler master when i had only 1 graphics card...and i went with the hyper 212 plus instead of evo...and went with the cm storm enforcer case when there are better ones for airflow :(

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I used a 750w power supply from cooler master when i had only 1 graphics card...and i went with the hyper 212 plus instead of evo...and went with the cm storm enforcer case when there are better ones for airflow :(

its ok we feel ur pain

System Specs~~~~~

its ok we feel ur pain

Except me  :lol:

I bought a laptop, lenovo y580 ideapad, was half off, 1500 laptop for 780$, 2 years ago. Great decision.

youll have to check compatibility but the blocks should just sit on top of the memory (scewed on). again check online for compatibility and ask the experts over in the water cooling sub-forum. cant wait to see the video log.

Yeah sounds good, more tubing the better, IMO

Get a ViewSonic VP2770-LED if you have no budget. It's the best monitor for 2560x1440 bar none.

I'll look into it right now :) one problem though, is it doesn't seem like many games will fullscreen on res's higher than 1080?

u can also go sycthe GTs I also wudd recommend going the gtx 770 4gb models cost a little more but u can get better fps on that 2560 monitor or u can even go 7970s they perform jus as good as gtx 770s and have 3 gb cost less or I wudd even say buy gtx 780s also for cpu and mobo go for 3930k socket 2011 cuz ivy bridge e coming out soon and it will prob rape haswell in performance again these are suggestions

I'm unfamiliar with 7970s, nvidia card still? I'm new to the pc build realm still  :P as for the ivy-e I heard it was crap ($ to pref.), and that broadwell was the next stop.

Well, in my opinion, building an all out pc once, and keeping regular maintenance, then doing updates every 2-4 is the best way to go, till 10 years, and you replace the rig, sort of like a car or house, you go all out, put all ur money into it, you get it back with longevity, and performance, as long as you take care of it, and when certain things need upgrades, you give them such :). I find that if a man, buys a house, pays it off, has a car, a boat, and a computer, there's a certain ease you have, like having everything paid off, no matter what happens, unless your hit by a tornado, or hurricane, god forbid, you have many less worries. Unless you have kids to put through college, like my father paying me through haha, which is actually the person paying for my computer  :ph34r: bet you thought I was an old geser with bank didnt you.  ;)

read that part ^

Wait for 9 series or 2x 7970 ghz edition  ;)

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Wait for 9 series or 2x 7970 ghz edition  ;)

You mean 8 series? & I'm guna look up those 7970's im interested now.

Nope 8 was mobile and OEM only

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Nope 8 was mobile and OEM only

Why are 660'Ti's so high in performance per dollar? & I thought you meant 800 series not the 7990s next gen, when does 9 come out?

Except me  :lol:

I bought a laptop, lenovo y580 ideapad, was half off, 1500 laptop for 780$, 2 years ago. Great decision.

Yeah sounds good, more tubing the better, IMO

I'll look into it right now :) one problem though, is it doesn't seem like many games will fullscreen on res's higher than 1080?

I'm unfamiliar with 7970s, nvidia card still? I'm new to the pc build realm still  :P as for the ivy-e I heard it was crap ($ to pref.), and that broadwell was the next stop.

Well, in my opinion, building an all out pc once, and keeping regular maintenance, then doing updates every 2-4 is the best way to go, till 10 years, and you replace the rig, sort of like a car or house, you go all out, put all ur money into it, you get it back with longevity, and performance, as long as you take care of it, and when certain things need upgrades, you give them such :). I find that if a man, buys a house, pays it off, has a car, a boat, and a computer, there's a certain ease you have, like having everything paid off, no matter what happens, unless your hit by a tornado, or hurricane, god forbid, you have many less worries. Unless you have kids to put through college, like my father paying me through haha, which is actually the person paying for my computer  :ph34r: bet you thought I was an old geser with bank didnt you.  ;)

read that part ^

Yes they will

No ...8 series are OEM card only, 9 series is consumer cards. 8 series is a refreshed 7 series and 9 series is an all new card. Might want to get info right before you correct people...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

No ...8 series are OEM card only, 9 series is consumer cards. 8 series is a refreshed 7 series and 9 series is an all new card. Might want to get info right before you correct people...

First off, that was very rude, second off I was not correcting you, hence the question mark, thirdly I replied to his post saying I thought you was speaking of the 800 series gtx geforce coming out in q1 next year, so do yourself a favor and take your own advice. & I'll never buy an amd product. They're not even close to the same level as nvidia. (In my personal very biased opinion, but thank you for your suggestion.

Yes they will

Alright, but do you know if this out preforms the QTX monitors from korea that is getting hyped up now? Apparently they're the equivilent to a 700$ IPS by dell. (Sorry if my abreviations are off.)