Why can MAC OS not run on AMD HW?

LokiFire

As title^

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Not quite sure what you are on about, but remember that .exe files only run on windows

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

No drivers

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Not quite sure what you are on about, but remember that .exe files only run on windows

You missed the point entirely, you need an intel based rig.

With a Niresh kernel it can

However, Apple does not want you to use their OS on PC hardware. They never used AMD, so why develop for something that'll lead to the bootlegging of their intellectual property?

It probably CAN as their CPUs share the same Instruction Set Architecture with Intel, and they are probably just 'blocked' by the OS arbitrarily.

The parts that can run OS X have probably been included in actual Macs at some point and so they are whitelisted.

Almost as cool as my temps  

You missed the point entirely, you need an intel based rig.

What does the OP mean by AMD HW?

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

What does the OP mean by AMD HW?

HW = Hardware.

pretty much cus apple is partnered with Intel and it does drivers only for the hardware that it sells it

every mac os is pretty much tailored for specific hardware it sells with, that's why it runs so good and that's why it takes a lot of time and hacks and workarounds to get a mac os running on your custom pc

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

i thought macs had amd GPU's for a while? 

anyway, as stated above, they arn't going to develop things when they won;t use them. thus they never developed some drivers for AMD stuff.

It because the stock MacOS Kernel only has support for Intel CPU instructions as Apple only use Intel CPUs in their hardware, there's no need to add support from AMD hardware to the kernel.

You can get custom kernels which do support AMD hardware.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

HW = Hardware.

Ahhhhhh, that would make sense. now that I re-read it it looks like I can't read.  :blink:

I am actually highly intrigued and would not mind trying it out myself.

If the rumors are true then by 2017 Apple will be using AMD, so expect support around then.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

It probably CAN as their CPUs share the same Instruction Set Architecture with Intel, and they are probably just 'blocked' by the OS arbitrarily.

The parts that can run OS X have probably been included in actual Macs at some point and so they are whitelisted.

pretty much yes, but I challenge you to find me an AMD CPU with AVX2 instruction set extension

yes the base x86 is there yes most of the extensions are there but some are not so that's quite sad

still doesn't mean you can't run it with some tinkering, hacks and workarounds, just bodge it

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Most people are wrong here.

Apple doesn't use AMD CPUs as much because of a licensing deal they picked up with Intel in like 2005. The licence says they will only use Intel CPUs which benefits both parties.

Now the issue with that is that some of the most advanced power saving, security and resource management features are designed with Intel's CPUs in mind. Fusion drives cannot work without an Intel CPU for one example. This means that even if you manage to get OS X working with an AMD CPU a lot of the most advanced features that make a Mac a Macintosh will be disabled in order for it to work.

Shame really, but that's just the edge that Intel has on Apple right now.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

I had a fairly stable install of Mavericks on an Athlon based machine with an AMD GPU. I just didn't have audio. It was super difficult but it did work. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

You CANNOT Run Mac OS on x86 full stop.

You can run selected versions of (Mac) OS X on x86 INCLUDING AMD, I had a Snow Leopard VM on my laptop, it said I had a Core2 Single when in reality it was an A10 5750m with only one CPU core enabled for that VM.

Installing OS X on AMD based CPUs is hard and because of that I have never tried. I know someone who ran Mavericks natively on their FX 6300 though.

I've personally tried to hackintosh my AMD rig.

OS X does boot, there are multiple versions of the operating system that come with custom AMD kernels, but it's an absolute nightmare.

Drivers/kernel extensions are the biggest issue.

Hardware that would normally work fine in OS X (My HD6570) would suddenly no longer work, also lots of AMD based boards have USB controller issues and ethernet controllers that just won't work.

The hard drive I've been screwing with to put OS X on, I've literally put that hard drive into my Dell OptiPlex 760 machine, together with the HD6570.....

It booted right up with everything working except for audio.

Mac OS X (Hackintosh) on AMD is possible, but it's an absolute pain in the ass, and you might have to buy some external peripherals (ethernet, audio) because a lot of them fail to work, even when the same hardware is used in some intel build, (like an ethernet controller), the driver that works on the intel boards, doesn't work on your AMD board.

If you want to Hackintosh, just get an intel build. Most intel core series work fine, Pentium and Celerons don't work fine, and the newer Atoms don't seem to work at all.