The Might 980 Ti

WaitDontSh00t

Hey peoples! (Yeah..typo in title.."Mighty", don't judge!)

Thinking of upgrading my whole PC soon. Not sure if I should wait for Pascal or not, but if I don't I'm most likely going to get a 980 Ti.

So here is my question about the 980 Ti!

I have been doing lots of research lately on all the different versions of it. I'm not 100% positive yet, but I am leaning on the side of getting a liquid cooled version of it. As far as I know the only benefit over the others is much lower temps.

So saying that, I'm torn on which 980 Ti I would get.

Based off of research, it seems as though the EVGA Hybrid and the Gigabyte Waterforfce are the best liquid cooled ones out there as of now. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I might go SLI one day, that's a whole another thing I'm not sure if I'll do. Though just wanted to say that, in case it made a difference.

Though, what do you guys think of these? Which would you get, if either? I wanted to see what you guys had as a recommendation or what you thought.

Thanks! 

Get the Galax HOF 980ti if it fits your color scheme.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

There is really only one reason to go liquid cooling and its temperatures, most do not offer any OC or Benefits other than that for the casual user. If your Air cooling cards are doing fine temp wise than there really is no point in spending the extra money on the water cooling. 

get the evga. why gigabyte has a proprietary fan plug so you have to rewire it to put a different fan on it and has very hjard tubing that isn't really good for routing. jayztwosense just released a vid on the waterforce 980ti. 

tbh its not worth it to get watercooled gpus though. you pay a premium for really no justifibale gains

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

I have the EVGA 980ti Hybrid and love it. Idles at 25c, max temp is 50c. Mine boosts to 1366mhz on the core stock, 1513mhz on the core overclocking. Build quality is much better than the MSI or Gigabyte version, the MSI radiator fan has to be plugged into the motherboard and the Gigabyte radiator fan can't be replaced. The EVGA version also has a replacement fan shroud if you want LEDs and runs almost silent.

I did a lot of research and personally feel the EVGA Hybrid is the best example even if you don't consider the upgrade program and customer service offered by EVGA.

Did I mention you can get 5 years of warranty for 50 bucks?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Thanks for your opinion guys. I currently own a GTX 670 and my max temp is usually 65C.

When I heard the water cooled temps of the 980 ti, I guess it just sounded nice to me. I'm not sure how air cooled card temps would be in my new build would be, especially if I had SLI. 

Though I will take a look at Air cooled ones now and see which are some good ones also.

msi and corsair also make an AiO 980ti

btw you can edit topic titles

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

msi and corsair also make an AiO 980ti

btw you can edit topic titles

It's a CPU block slapped on a GPU, under a cheap plastic shroud. Not impressed by the MSI SeaHawk

It's a CPU block slapped on a GPU, under a cheap plastic shroud. Not impressed by the MSI SeaHawk

uh

what do you think all the other liquid cooled AiO GPUs are..........

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thinking of upgrading my whole PC soon. Not sure if I should wait for Pascal or not, but if I don't I'm most likely going to get a 980 Ti.

I have been doing lots of research lately on all the different versions of it. I'm not 100% positive yet, but I am leaning on the side of getting a liquid cooled version of it. As far as I know the only benefit over the others is much lower temps.

Based off of research, it seems as though the EVGA Hybrid and the Gigabyte Waterforfce are the best liquid cooled ones out there as of now. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I might go SLI one day, that's a whole another thing I'm not sure if I'll do. Though just wanted to say that, in case it made a difference.

Though, what do you guys think of these? Which would you get, if either? I wanted to see what you guys had as a recommendation or what you thought.

Thanks! 

I would get a solid air cooled 980ti that has water block support

I have my reasons for hating AIOs

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

I gained like 40 mhz on the core clock when I put my card on water. Not a big difference, but 980ti is a kindda hot card, so if you manage to get a quiet water cooling setup it could be nice. Two 980tis with two G10s and two AIOs would be very bothersome though.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

uh

Not the EVGA, it's a block made for the GPU. The radiator might be a standard 120mm but the block isn't. And the EVGA has a nice metal shroud. The hoses are also better on the EVGA.

So is the EVGA..and the Gigabyte version... EVGA uses the same circular Asetek designed pump / block unit as the Corsair & MSI option. Gigabyte uses a CM designed unit, as can be noted by the square design and ribbed tubing.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Not the EVGA, it's a block made for the GPU. The radiator might be a standard 120mm but the block isn't. And the EVGA has a nice metal shroud. The hoses are also better on the EVGA.

you're kidding, right?

its literally the exact same AIO

THE SAME

the only difference is that EVGA has a different looking mount for the block

it is the same block

it is the same radiator

it is the same pump

it is the same tubing

they are made by the same manufacturer, Asetek

evga-gtx-980ti-hybrid.jpg

GTX-980-TI-SEA-HAWK-1.jpg

ITS THE SAME

Spoiler

uh

LMAO

Thanks! 

I would go with the EVGA variant. I've heard nothing but good stories about their Customer Support, if you even need to contact them in the first place. My vote goes towards the EVGA option.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

SNIP

You made me stop playing so as to prove you wrong, please don't do that.

"The difference rests in the heatsink design, as we described above. EVGA's Hybrid utilizes a custom GPU cooling block with a large, unibody copper extrusion. Fan differences can also impact thermal performance."

So is the EVGA..and the Gigabyte version... EVGA uses the same circular Asetek designed pump / block unit as the Corsair & MSI option. Gigabyte uses a CM designed unit, as can be noted by the square design and ribbed tubing.

"The difference rests in the heatsink design, as we described above. EVGA's Hybrid utilizes a custom GPU cooling block with a large, unibody copper extrusion. Fan differences can also impact thermal performance."

You're right in the sense that the EVGA squeezes out cooler temperatures, but both units are manufactured by Asetek. Thank you for informing though, appreciate it. I should've done my homework.

xRWJg59.jpg

QsGIGPZ.jpg

You're right in the sense that the EVGA squeezes out cooler temperatures, but both units are manufactured by Asetek.

Sure, and a 950 and 980ti are both made by EVGA, your point? The blocks are different, the block on the EVGA is made for that graphics card verses the block on the others that's just a generic block.

Sure, and a 950 and 980ti are both made by EVGA, your point? The blocks are different, the block on the EVGA is made for that graphics card verses the block on the others that's just a generic block.

That was my point :) I was under the impression that you thought the EVGA cooling solution had no relation to the MSI + Corsair one.

That was my point :) I was under the impression that you thought the EVGA cooling solution had no relation to the MSI + Corsair one.

:lol: no. read my post. I said it's the same radiator. The EVGA and MSI have better hoses than the Gigabyte though. Major difference is the block, minor difference between the MSI and EVGA is how the radiator fan connects. Both are advantages to the EVGA.

:lol: no. read my post. I said it's the same radiator. The EVGA and MSI have better hoses than the Gigabyte though. Major difference is the block, minor difference between the MSI and EVGA is how the radiator fan connects. Both are advantages to the EVGA.

I see, thanks for clearing that up!

1) you think i care if you're playing or not? lol

2) a"unibody copper extrusion" doesn't mean crap

its an extra 2mm of copper added to the bottom

more copper does not mean lower temperatures, clearly you dont know how watercooling works

3) there is literally no possible way to modify a waterblock so that it performs 20 degrees better

it just isn't possible in the real world

clearly they didn't use a standard fan for all their testing or didn't put the same load on their cards, or got a bad seahawk sample

4) look at more than one review

you can see people (like linus or jayztwocents) getting less than 10C difference between the MSI/Corsair card and the Hybrid

so you can see that the gamernexus "benchmarks" are far from accurate

5) you're still wrong about the tubing, and the radiator, and the pump

its all from asetek

Spoiler

1) you think i care if you're playing or not? lol

2) a"unibody copper extrusion" doesn't mean crap

its an extra 2mm of copper added to the bottom

more copper does not mean lower temperatures, clearly you dont know how watercooling works

3) there is literally no possible way to modify a waterblock so that it performs 20 degrees better

it just isn't possible in the real world

clearly they didn't use a standard fan for all their testing or didn't put the same load on their cards, or got a bad seahawk sample

4) look at more than one review

you can see people (like linus or jayztwocents) getting less than 10C difference between the MSI/Corsair card and the Hybrid

so you can see that the gamernexus "benchmarks" are far from accurate

5) you're still wrong about the tubing, and the radiator, and the pump

its all from asetek

No, you're wrong. Big surprise but just because two things are from the same manufacturer doesn't mean they're the same. And I've REPEATEDLY said the block is different.

EDIT* Oh, and I love Jay but my Hybrid kills his, even the boost clock is higher on mine. So I don't know what he did. And you've been proven wrong in the past going off Linus and his poor testing methods so let's not go there again.