Worth buying sound card?

Arwinnd

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a sound card. Now i have on-board sound card from realtek ( my motherboard MSI P55-GD65 ). I use Razer Carcharias headset. Will it be a great difference if i will buy Xonar Phoebus for example? Do you have other suggestions of worth to buy sound card, or maybe should i buy Logitech G35 Headset? 

A Xonar DG will work fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't buy a soundcard that is more expensive, than the stuff (headset/speakers/etc.) you want drive with it ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

A Xonar DG will work fine.

I had it. It sucks. It was worst than my on-board sound card.

Yes its worth it, also inb4 people start bashing soundcards 

Why is it worth it?

We don't bash sound cards, we just point out when they are of no benefit.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No, if you really want to buy something for $200 that will be worth it, pick up these two things.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009S332TQ/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished - refurbished for $99

and a headphone amp

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/headphone-amps.html

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E10-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005VO7LG6

It's worth it even if you don't have good headset. The sound will be much more clear, loud and you will hear the details better. I Have a Xonar Xense D2X and I will definitely recommend it! If you have a expensive headset, it's a must have. 

For me Razer Carcharias was expensive. Why do i need to amplify my headset? I don't need louder sound. I like it what it is. I need more clear and real sound and surround effects, and amplifier wont make it for me is that true?   

No, save the money and buy headphones that are worth it, you won't hear a noticeable sound upgrade

If you buy an expensive headset it's even more important that you buy a good sound card...It's a BIG difference!

If you buy an expensive headset it's even more important that you buy a good sound card...It's a BIG difference!

So maybe G35? I don't have really much money ( when we look on the prices of electronics ). 200 USD is really much for me and in my country u can eat good for month for that amount. 

No, it's not important and it won't have that big of a difference. Just because the headset is expensive doesn't mean it sounds good. Read the FAQ

So maybe G35? I don't have really much money ( when we look on the prices of electronics ). 200 USD is really much for me and in my country u can eat good for month for that amount.

Hell no then. Save your money, read the FAQ why sound cards are useless. If you can, return the headset and buy a real headphone like 558's, it will give you the open sound you are looking for.

Lets put it that way. In our country we earn like 1500 in our currency min. Its like 500 USD. So... for me Razer Carcharias was en expensive headset. It cost me about 250 ( in our currency ) . I don't have money for amplifiers, headsets for 200 USD and so on. I like the way Razer Carcharias sound like, but i have no surround sound. I used razer surround to emulate it. It was fine, but it crashes my pc. So eighter I need sound card to do this, or better headset which doesn't needs sound card. I don't need military solutions. I'm not an audiophile. I don't need loud sound also ( I like my ears ). So... Will it be better with Asus Xonar DX than with my onboard sound? Will Logitech G35 be better in sound overall than Razer Carcharias? 

No, it's not important and it won't have that big of a difference. Just because the headset is expensive doesn't mean it sounds good. Read the FAQ

Just because the headset is expensive doesn't mean it sounds good, thats true, but in general a good soundcard will make a difference.

Just because the headset is expensive doesn't mean it sounds good, thats true, but in general a good soundcard will make a difference.

Yes it will, but for the $100-$200 your going to spend, there's much better available.

Lets put it that way. In our country we earn like 1500 in our currency min. Its like 500 USD. So... for me Razer Carcharias was en expensive headset. It cost me about 250 ( in our currency ) . I don't have money for amplifiers, headsets for 200 USD and so on. I like the way Razer Carcharias sound like, but i have no surround sound. I used razer surround to emulate it. It was fine, but it crashes my pc. So eighter I need sound card to do this, or better headset which doesn't needs sound card. I don't need military solutions. I'm not an audiophile. I don't need loud sound also ( I like my ears ). So... Will it be better with Asus Xonar DX than with my onboard sound? Will Logitech G35 be better in sound overall than Razer Carcharias? 

Can't say anything about the G35 vs Carcharias but the Xonar D2X will be much better than your onboard sound. The onboard audio is also different from motherboard to motherboard but even the best onboard audio can't compare to a good sound card like the xonar series. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. It's not the most important thing :)

Can't say anything about the G35 vs Carcharias but the Xonar D2X will be much better than your onboard sound. The onboard audio is also different from motherboard to motherboard but even the best onboard audio can't compare to a good sound card like the xonar series. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. It's not the most important thing :)

But there is product like Xonar DX ( only DX ) and do you recommend it over G35? Coz i can buy just G35. I don't know what's better.To buy G35 and sell carcharias or buy Asus Xonar DX. I just feel like these sound cards are outdated. 

But there is product like Xonar DX ( only DX ) and do you recommend it over G35? Coz i can buy just G35. I don't know what's better.To buy G35 and sell carcharias or buy Asus Xonar DX. I just feel like these sound cards are outdated. 

The thing is that sound technology is not improving fast, so it's not outdated. What do you mean when you say G35 over Xonar DX? G35 is a headset and xonar DX is a soundcard.

The thing is that sound technology is not improving fast, so it's not outdated. What do you mean when you say G35 over Xonar DX? G35 is a headset and xonar DX is a soundcard.

I mean of course tandem of Carcharias with Xonar DX VS G35

I changed my mind. I will go with Logitech G35. Thank you guys, but you were absolutely not helpful.