Windows 8 is sooo high tech, why all the hate?

DyGr00339

R?

The new series has a new naming scheme. It will be called the R9-970 not 9970. Also, you can fix your vanishing avatar by using a picture of a smaller file size

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

The new series has a new naming scheme. It will be called the R9-970 not 9970. Also, you can fix your vanishing avatar by using a picture of a smaller file size

Basically, everything stays the same and they're just adding an R to it? :P

Also, I like his avatar like this. It fits his title :)

Basically, everything stays the same and they're just adding an R to it? :P

Also, I like his avatar like this. It fits his title :)

From memory yeah, it's going down the exact same route of the APU's. I can't exactly remember the exact naming scheme. It confused me when I first saw it.

Also, I wouldn't know about the picture. My phone refuses to load it, I can just see a mass of overlapping text where the picture should be as the file size is too large. At least, that's how I fixed the problem when my avatar was like that

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

From memory yeah, it's going down the exact same route of the APU's. I can't exactly remember the exact naming scheme. It confused me when I first saw it.

Also, I wouldn't know about the picture. My phone refuses to load it, I can just see a mass of overlapping text where the picture should be as the file size is too large. At least, that's how I fixed the problem when my avatar was like that

There is none lol

Start screen in Windows 8 doesn't need more click. In fact it takes less to navigate.

You can also pin folders, something you could not have in Windows 7 Start Menu, allowing you to jump to location directly.

The reason why people don't like Windows 8, is because it's different. It changes something drastic.. the Start Menu.

The same story was with Windows 95. People hated the Start Menu, the Task bar was "too small". People preferred folders. Then people got used to it, and now they aren't open to even try anything else. And by try.. I mean ACTUALLY try. Not spend 2 sec and go "ok f*ck it! UNINSTALL! UNINSTALL! FORMAT!! Burn computer!!!", all freaking out. Sit down, LEARN it, discover how to use it, spend at least a month with it, THEN you can judge.

This is something that hurt Microsoft... reviewers by journalist. When Windows 8 was out, most, is not all, journalist and bloggers, didn't touch the beta version. No. They waited it is officially released, and then it's a race on writing a review of it in less than hour! All because its a race of who gets it's review first. How can you even comment? It's worst then looking at pictures and judging.

i was esceptical when i got my win 8 laptop but im 100 percent satisfyed in every wey and if you dont like the start menu simply dnt use it i almost never use it same with win 7

The reason why people don't like Windows 8, is because it's different. It changes something drastic.. the Start Menu.

The same story was with Windows 95. People hated the Start Menu, the Task bar was "too small". People preferred folders. Then people got used to it, and now they aren't open to even try anything else. And by try.. I mean ACTUALLY try. Not spend 2 sec and go "ok f*ck it! UNINSTALL! UNINSTALL! FORMAT!! Burn computer!!!", all freaking out. Sit down, LEARN it, discover how to use it, spend at least a month with it, THEN you can judge.

Have been using 8 for months now. Gave start screen a fair chance. It's not more clicks, but way more 'distance'. Also, I find it to be distracting and it disturbs my workflow by taking in the whole screen.

After a couple of months, I installed Startisback and I'm happy now :)

I immediately dismiss a lot of people who outright bash 8. Even if you hate Metro you can hide it and use a third party start. Why not spend less on a newer system that gets more gaming performance?

When tools to slim/cut Windows 8 will be in proper stage and not Alpha/Beta ill buy 8 for their proper OEM license. Integrate Start button programs and get rid of some stupid features like MS store and moar...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

no pain no gain

qRcZYNs.jpg

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Having to use startisback to make it like windows 7 only proves the point that touch interfaces make a world of difference to windows 8. I used it with a touchscreen, and I could get used to it in a week tops.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

1- Distance is still faster than aiming and clicking more times.

2- You are not suppose to do large distance in most cases. As mentioned. The most used tiles should be closest at the bottom left corner of the screen. The rest pinned on your task bar.

3- I honestly don't get this "it changes the work flow" argument. Nothing is changed.

1- Distance is still faster than aiming and clicking more times.

2- You are not suppose to do large distance in most cases. As mentioned. The most used tiles should be closest at the bottom left corner of the screen. The rest pinned on your task bar.

3- I honestly don't get this "it changes the work flow" argument. Nothing is changed.

1. You opinion. I hate using my mouse anyways. Win8 search is broken.
  2. Would be nice if Win8 didn't automatically align all the tiles to the top left, if that's the case
  3. Well, I do. I find it very distracting to have something cover the whole screen while working. It makes me lose my focus and train of thought.
  4. It's not because you like Modern UI, that everybody needs to like it. It's not because you think nothing has changed, that everybody experiences this way.

One thing I hate about using Windows 8 as a desktop user (using StartIsBack) is that it still comes installed with all the crappy applications for Modern UI. I never thought we would get to a point where Windows would include 'bloatware' on its own installation...

In my opinion, you should have the option to install it without modern UI...

1- Don't blame Windows for using a crappy mouse. Windows 8 search isn't broken. You probably broke something in the OS

2- And how do you propose to have it in a organize mater?

3- You should work on that then.

4- No no.. there is a difference between: "I don't like it, because xyz" (where xyz represents a well constructed argument and how to improve things to have it fixed), and, "I don't like it because it sucks" or "I don't like it, because I don't get it from the screen shots"

I think you need to check the definition of bloatware.

If you have the option, then OEMs will choose not to, and then you have the same story as XP with the classic menu, but a much worse, because now, the entire experience is different. Try supporting that on the phone!

1. You opinion. I hate using my mouse anyways. Win8 search is broken.
  2. Would be nice if Win8 didn't automatically align all the tiles to the top left, if that's the case
  3. Well, I do. I find it very distracting to have something cover the whole screen while working. It makes me lose my focus and train of thought.
  4. It's not because you like Modern UI, that everybody needs to like it. It's not because you think nothing has changed, that everybody experiences this way.

One thing I hate about using Windows 8 as a desktop user (using StartIsBack) is that it still comes installed with all the crappy applications for Modern UI. I never thought we would get to a point where Windows would include 'bloatware' on its own installation...

In my opinion, you should have the option to install it without modern UI...

1. Not to be that guy, but in fact this is actually not a matter of opinion. A lot of math, testing and work with hypothesis and so on have gone into the design of the start screen. It was concluded that it is indeed faster/more effective to reach a big target that is further away than a small target that is closer due to less accuracy with the mouse pointer required.

2. Move the tiles and design the screen like you want it to be. You computer won't know how you want things to be... If you don't optimize it for your use then of course it's a tedious process. You don't ride a bike that is too small either, don't you?

3. I can't sympathize with that as I have a very different experience but who am I to say what's right and wrong.  ;)

Now I wouldn't exactly call it bloatware rather than system apps that add some basic functionality. I will agree that the system would work just fine without them but they have their uses like weather forecast and straight access to e-mail. I can understand why you wouldn't want them although I don't mind them at all but it is up to you if you want to use them and pin them or just leave them be and ignore them.

I encourage you to read this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

It explains what I said in #1 as well as overall the thoughts behind the design of the start screen. It will be explained exactly why it is a superior design with many well-substantiated points. I found it to be very enlightening.

Don't blame Windows for using a crappy mouse. Windows 8 search isn't broken. You probably broke something in the OS

Logitech Performance MX. By no means crappy. I just don't like using a mouse for navigation within an OS. Keyboard is always faster. With broken I meant 'still not as functional as the start menu search in windows7/startisback', 8.1 should fix that, but why in the name of everything that is holy wasn't it good from the beginning?

And how do you propose to have it in a organize mater?

If the start screen is designed to be used with the most important buttons in the bottom left, Windows 8 should organize your buttons towards the bottom left by default. As it is now, it ordens everything towards top left, which contradicts your statement.

You should work on that then.

Why should I adapt to my computer? A computer is a productivity tool, so it is the one that should facilitate me instead of the other way around. I genuinly have trouble with things that take up my whole screen when I'm working on something else. As I said before: it makes me lose my train of thought. This is the same reason I use multiple monitors: so I can have lots of windows next to eachother. That way, I can switch between them without losing them out of sight. As I said before: it's not because you don't have trouble with this, that nobody has trouble with it.

I've raid an article from a UI designer with a psychology degree talking about this topic when Windows 8 was just released and it seems the human mind works this way. Can't seem to find it any more, but two minutes on Google got me this:

The advantage of the overlaid menu is that it preserves context. Cognitively, there’s more of a burden when you have to switch context twice (desktop->start screen; start screen -> desktop).

source: http://blog.laptopmag.com/usability-expert-windows-8-on-pcs-is-confusing-a-cognitive-burden

No no.. there is a difference between: "I don't like it, because xyz" (where xyz represents a well constructed argument and how to improve things to have it fixed), and, "I don't like it because it sucks" or "I don't like it, because I don't get it from the screen shots"

I told you I don't like the Modern UI because of a multitude of reasons, which I clearly stated and explained. What do I have to say more? I have even used the bloody interface for more than a month. Well, I tried to use it...

I have seen you react this way in countless threads, always bashing anyone that doesn't like Win8/Modern UI, even if they have good reasons. It makes me wonder how the hell you got chosen as 'Trusted Adivsor' for OS'es. A part of the job of an advisor is to see the complete picture, to play devil's advocate and not just shout your own opinion.

I think you need to check the definition of bloatware.

Form wikipedia:

the same term bloatware is also commonly used to refer to preinstalled software on a device, usually included by the hardware manufacturer, that is mostly unwanted by the purchaser. This may account for up to 45% of pre-installed software on a new device.

Okay, in this case I was talking to the software 'manufacturer' instead the hardware manufacturer, but the point still stands. I don't use Modern UI, so I don't need those useless -for me- apps installed.

If you have the option, then OEMs will choose not to, and then you have the same story as XP with the classic menu, but a much worse, because now, the entire experience is different. Try supporting that on the phone!

If OEMs will all choose not to install Modern UI, then maybe it isn't that great after all. And before you come yelling with 'well, everybody is just afraid of something new': maybe change isn't always good.

I, together with A LOT of other people, am used to the start menu. I can use it to such an extent that i can fire up applications or software configuration dialogs in under half a second without even moving my hand away from the keyboard. It allows me to open those things without losing my view on what I'm currently working on -which would make me lose my train of thought.

Why would I want change from that? It's pretty ideal in my eyes.

1. Not to be that guy, but in fact this is actually not a matter of opinion. A lot of math, testing and work with hypothesis and so on have gone into the design of the start screen. It was concluded that it is indeed faster/more effective to reach a big target that is further away than a small target that is closer due to less accuracy with the mouse pointer required.

I encourage you to read this article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

It explains what I said in #1 as well as overall the thoughts behind the design of the start screen. It will be explained exactly why it is a superior design with many well-substantiated points. I found it to be very enlightening.

Please, be that guy. I love reading up on stuff like this! I'm very sure Microsoft has put the necessary thought into Modern UI, but that doesn't change all of the above. I haven't read the article yet, it's half past one and I have to be up at 6, but I'll check it out in the morning.

I wanted to thank you for not being single-minded, it's nice to actually have a conversation instead of just being 'yelled' at with opinions.

Logitech Performance MX. By no means crappy. I just don't like using a mouse for navigation within an OS. Keyboard is always faster. With broken I meant 'still not as functional a the start menu search in windows7/startisback', 8.1 should fix that, but why in the name of everything that is holy wasn't it good from the beginning?

That's the mouse I use. So I don't know what you are talking about. Like I am being really honest!

If the start screen is designed to be used with the most important buttons in the bottom left, Windows 8 should organize your buttons towards the bottom left by default. As it is now, it ordens everything towards top left, which contradicts your statement.

Yes, well there is an order for things, such as we are read thing from top left to right to bottom.

It doesn't work at the bottom, it feel strange.

Why should I adapt to my computer? A computer is a productivity tool, so it is the one that should facilitate me instead of the other way around. I genuinly have trouble with things that take up my whole screen when I'm working on something else. As I said before: it makes me lose my train of thought. This is the same reason I use multiple monitors: so I can have lots of windows next to eachother. That way, I can switch between them without losing them out of sight. As I said before: it's not because you don't have trouble with this, that nobody has trouble with it.

Me too I like to hold and use a hammer by the head. But I had to adapt using it by the handle.

I've raid an article from a UI designer with a psychology degree talking about this topic when Windows 8 was just released and it seems the human mind works this way. Can't seem to find it any more, but two minutes on Google got me this:

You know how many experts are wrong?

I told you I don't like the Modern UI because of a multitude of reasons, which I clearly stated and explained. What do I have to say more? I have even used the bloody interface for more than a month. Well, I tried to use it...

Well it wasn't clear to me.

I have seen you react this way in countless threads, always bashing anyone that doesn't like Win8/Modern UI, even if they have good reasons. It makes me wonder how the hell you got chosen as 'Trusted Adivsor' for OS'es. A part of the job of an advisor is to see the complete picture, to play devil's advocate and not just shout your own opinion.

I do play devil advocate, and I like to challenge people opinions on things. The hot topic on OSs is Win8 hate. That's what I do, and propose alternatives, if I can.

Somewhere on this section of the forum, I already listed my long list of thing I don't like about Windows and Windows 8, and its issues that people ignore, as they are fixed upon the Start Screen.

If I don't comment on something, is mostly because I either agree, or respect your view.

If OEMs will all choose not to install Modern UI, then maybe it isn't that great after all. And before you come yelling with 'well, everybody is just afraid of something new': maybe change isn't always good.

OEMs installed task bar replacement programs to Windows 7 task bar, when it came out. I guess it sucked?!

I, together with A LOT of other people, am used to the start menu. I can use it to such an extent that i can fire up applications or software configuration dialogs in under half a second without even moving my hand away from the keyboard.

You can do that with the Start Screen.

Start screen in Windows 8 doesn't need more click. In fact it takes less to navigate.

You can also pin folders, something you could not have in Windows 7 Start Menu, allowing you to jump to location directly.

This is something that hurt Microsoft... reviewers by journalist. When Windows 8 was out, most, is not all, journalist and bloggers, didn't touch the beta version. No. They waited it is officially released, and then it's a race on writing a review of it in less than hour! All because its a race of who gets it's review first. How can you even comment? It's worst then looking at pictures and judging.

Yup, nearly ever "review" of Win 8 I've read (especially those released right after Win 8), the reviewer states "you can't do this" or "you have to do it this way", while more often than not they were wrong. Thankfully I had already sat down a learned these things or I might have believed them. It took less than an hour with Win 8 to learn that these things "you can't do" CAN be done (often faster and easier than any other version of Windows), the reviewers were just simply not doing it. And the sad thing is most of these things are common sense in which obviously most of these "reviewers" lack. Not Microsoft's fault that people are idiots!

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)