DDR3 vs DDR4 in Gaming

Hello

I´m going to get a new gaming pc at about the first of February, but I don´t know which one.

I can select between two models, where the most expensive one has the following specs:

Intel core i5 6400 2.70 GHz

g.skill ripjaws 2x4 gb 2400 mhz ddr4 ram

asus gtz 970 4gb overclocked

asus z170-k motherboard

120gb kingston v300 ssd

seagate barracuda 1 tb hdd 7200 rpm

and the slightly cheapr one has:

intel core i5 6400 2-70 GHz

asus gtx 970 4 gb overclocked

crucial ballistix sport 2x4 gb ddr3 1600 mhz

asus h110m-k d3

240gb kingston v300 ssd

seagate barracuda 1 tb hdd 7200rpm

The only difference is the motherboard and the ram. My question is, is it worth to pay the extra money for ddr4 memory, or is ddr3 fine for casual gaming?

The first machine: http://sharkgaming.dk/gamer-computere/shark-series/shark-predator

the second machine: http://sharkgaming.dk/gamer-computere/max-bite-series/max-bite-massacre

DDR3 is fine.

If you want to enjoy the benefits of skylake yes. Moreover get the R9 390 as it's usually cheaper and outperforms the 970 at 1440p and 4k. (if you can't find a R9 390 or it's more expensive get a EVGA or MSI 970 the turbo 970 isn't that good).

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Don't get a skylake CPU with DDR3 Ram, it can damage the CPU.

There is close to no performance improvements with DDR3 vs DDR4 anyway.

Source? Or did you mean DDR3 not DDR3L?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

-snip-

DDR3 is fine, any reason why you don't want to build it yourself? It's much more fun :)

Actually I would like to point out that plenty of boards that use DDR3 (non-L) on Skylake and don't have any issues.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

DDR3 is fine, any reason why you don't want to build it yourself? It's much more fun :)

Actually I would like to point out that plenty of boards that use DDR3 (non-L) on Skylake and don't have any issues.

I am not saying that DDR3 won't work, I am saying it can damage your CPU. Can you watch the video?

DDR3L is fine though, that will work fine without damaging your CPU.

question why a v300 SSD and not a samsung 850 evo??

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

I am not saying that DDR3 won't work, I am saying it can damage your CPU. Can you watch the video?

DDR3L is fine though, that will work fine without damaging your CPU.

DDR3 and DDR3L are the same thing. It's just about the voltage. Stick with 1.35V if you want to be safe.

It makes no diference, however you shouldn't use that ram with skylake. DDR3L only.

Why don't you build your own? That company doesn't seem to know what it's doing, and besides prebuilts are always more expensive than they need to be.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

DDR3 and DDR3L are the same thing. It's just about the voltage. Stick with 1.35V if you want to be safe.

not all dimms work at 1.35v...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

not all dimms work at 1.35v...

And the voltage of the RAM has nothing to do with the CPU-the power phases for the RAM aren't built into the CPU. Eg. the +2 on 8+2 VRM means that there are 2 phases for the memory, 8 for the CPU. DDR3 will not damage Skylake CPU if you use it in place of DDR3L

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And the voltage of the RAM has nothing to do with the CPU-the power phases for the RAM aren't built into the CPU. Eg. the +2 on 8+2 VRM means that there are 2 phases for the memory, 8 for the CPU. DDR3 will not damage Skylake CPU if you use it in place of DDR3L

Yeah. I kind of wondered about that too - I think the limit has something to do with the motherboard or chipset more than with the cpu itself

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah. I kind of wondered about that too - I think the limit has something to do with the motherboard or chipset more than with the cpu itself

I'll put it this way. If voltage damaged CPU or the IMC. Then why were there no reports of DDR2 damaging CPU/Northbridge with the DDR2/DDR3 motherboards?

PMSL

I'll put it this way. If voltage damaged CPU or the IMC. Then why were there no reports of DDR2 damaging CPU/Northbridge with the DDR2/DDR3 motherboards?

it may have depended on the cpu itself - after all they just set a maximum, maybe in a different architecture that maximum could be higher. I don't think you can draw that comparison.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

it may have depended on the cpu itself - after all they just set a maximum, maybe in a different architecture that maximum could be higher. I don't think you can draw that comparison.

Either way, the websites reporting the "issue" are extremely vague on exactly where the problem lies and so far I haven't seen a single official statement from Intel-and since no prior CPU generation from Intel or AMD has had issues with RAM voltage-especially when overclocking-I'm still calling BS on the whole thing. (FYI AMD's CPU should be more prone to any damage from abnormal RAM voltages-if it affects anything- due to the poor IMC and yet there is again no reports of damage.) BTW, DDR2=1.8V, DDR3=1.5V, DDR3L=1.35V, DDR4=1.2V, that's a 0.3V difference between DDR2 and 3, and DDR3 and 4, so its quite easy to draw a comparison and conclusion (especially when you consider how power is delivered to the RAM and CPU).

PMSL

Either way, the websites reporting the "issue" are extremely vague on exactly where the problem lies and so far I haven't seen a single official statement from Intel-and since no prior CPU generation from Intel or AMD has had issues with RAM voltage-especially when overclocking-I'm still calling BS on the whole thing. (FYI AMD's CPU should be more prone to any damage from abnormal RAM voltages-if it affects anything- due to the poor IMC and yet there is again no reports of damage.) BTW, DDR2=1.8V, DDR3=1.5V, DDR3L=1.35V, DDR4=1.2V, that's a 0.3V difference between DDR2 and 3, and DDR3 and 4, so its quite easy to draw a comparison and conclusion (especially when you consider how power is delivered to the RAM and CPU).

but again, the cpus from years ago were very different - there may be a lot of factors involved. I don't think motherboard manufacturers would exclude 1.5v memory from the compatibility list for no reason, after all they only profit from people not needing to buy new memory for their new board.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

but again, the cpus from years ago were very different - there may be a lot of factors involved. I don't think motherboard manufacturers would exclude 1.5v memory from the compatibility list for no reason, after all they only profit from people not needing to buy new memory for their new board.

The issue is still hearsay however as there is literally no evidence other than people going off the recommendations. Also motherboard manufacturers wouldn't make DDR3 motherboards if there was an actual issue, because then any further problems would make them liable. Remember that Intel said only Z97 was going to be able to overclock Haswell CPU, and yet here I sit with a 4790K that's done 4.8GHz on an Asus H87M Pro....quite safely and stable I might add (I really need to get the cooling sorted).

PMSL

The memory controller in the CPU is exposed to the same voltage as the memory runs at.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html#xtor=RSS-181

Digital Foundry would disagree, DDR4 2133MHZ vs 2666 mhz was almost always a 8-10FPS difference and that's without BCLK overclocking. Imagine 1600 vs 2666

It makes no diference, however you shouldn't use that ram with skylake. DDR3L only.

Why don't you build your own? That company doesn't seem to know what it's doing, and besides prebuilts are always more expensive than they need to be.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)