Build new pc over time or all at once?

Trail Mixorz

First off, I didn't really know where to put this thread so i put it in General Discussion, feel free to move it if necessary.

So my computer is not too old, but I want to get a new build for BF4 and other games coming in the future. My next build is gonna be pretty costly, and somewhat future proof (i7 4770k, 780, ROG maximus gene) but it's gonna be micro atx. Right now, i have a normal atx build in a mid tower case. Since this build is pretty hefty when it comes to price, should I upgrade my current system with the 780 then an ssd then buy the mobo and cpu together with the micro atx case to finish the build? Or would it be better to buy the parts all together,  or does it not make a difference? My current rig is in my signature.

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

If you buy the 780 now it will most likely be 2 generations old once you get around to buying the CPU and mobo. Buy at once. Also there is no such thing as future proof.

You could buy your 780 already and see if you get the performance reviewers are getting. If not then your cpu could be a bottleneck and you could opt to change cpu/motherboard. If the difference is only 5 fps then itis not worth it, if it is more like 20 fps it might be worth to change your cpu.

I'd say all at once..and as Hans says there is no future proof..but you can extend the life of the PC..

CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 760 FTW 4GB | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) RED | SSD: Corsair Force Series 240 GB SATA 3 | PSU: Corsair AX 760 Watt Fully Modular | OS:  Windows 8

If you buy the 780 now it will most likely be 2 generations old once you get around to buying the CPU and mobo. Buy at once. Also there is no such thing as future proof.

Thats another reason I'd buy all at once, because by the time i finish the build, new 880 or 980 would be out  :P

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Thats another reason I'd buy all at once, because by the time i finish the build, new 880 or 980 would be out  :P

And trust me when that time comes you will hate yourself.

overtime, get the components that will last, ex. Case, motherboard, Processor, and PSU because those will last you for years, where as things like graphics cards and storage (maybe cooling?) won't last you for that long, so there is a method to it, although I personally would be waiting for X99, DDR4, and GTX 800/900, unless you don't have a particular need to have the entusiast class build

And trust me when that time comes you will hate yourself.

not really, somewhat happy with my GTX 680, only I hate the fact that it's reference :/ wish I waited and got the lightning

over time but not let it extend more than couple of months

or if you find some hot deals you could buy them all together

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

Okay I think I'm gonna put the whole build off until i'm at least 3/4 the way to affording it, this way i can wait for deals but know what i'm getting without something new coming out the next day

If you're planning a long game you would want the main guts all at the same time but no harm is scouting out a few bargains now. Case prices fluctuate wildly so bagging one that hits the nail for you early isn't a bad idea. I'm planning a full upgrade shortly and aim to keep my case for it so a small M-atx for the components I have now allows me to move it over and have time to work on my case.

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

If you're planning a long game you would want the main guts all at the same time but no harm is scouting out a few bargains now. Case prices fluctuate wildly so bagging one that hits the nail for you early isn't a bad idea. I'm planning a full upgrade shortly and aim to keep my case for it so a small M-atx for the components I have now allows me to move it over and have time to work on my case.

Well i'm looking at getting the 350D, which isn't that pricey to begin with, but if corsair makes a new matx case in the next year (which i doubt but) i'd cry

not really, somewhat happy with my GTX 680, only I hate the fact that it's reference :/ wish I waited and got the lightning

It's different when you've got a brand spanking new computer with a graphics card that's 2 generations old. :)

It's different when you've got a brand spanking new computer with a graphics card that's 2 generations old. :)

true

First off, I didn't really know where to put this thread so i put it in General Discussion, feel free to move it if necessary.

So my computer is not too old, but I want to get a new build for BF4 and other games coming in the future. My next build is gonna be pretty costly, and somewhat future proof (i7 4770k, 780, ROG maximus gene) but it's gonna be micro atx. Right now, i have a normal atx build in a mid tower case. Since this build is pretty hefty when it comes to price, should I upgrade my current system with the 780 then an ssd then buy the mobo and cpu together with the micro atx case to finish the build? Or would it be better to buy the parts all together,  or does it not make a difference? My current rig is in my signature.

Actually I would ask you first, what resolution are you playing? GTX 780 is an excellent card but it's pricey. A GTX 770 4GB or GTX 760 4GB would do you good on short-term ('waiting for whole platform upgrade' i.e. buying Skylake CPU in 2015 and a 880 or 980 GPU when there are any etc.)

Consider getting only an Nvidia GPU now. Why?

You have an excellent CPU at the moment and a great motherboard reading from my database of choice:

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Your mobo is EXCELLENT for overclockin and should be used to do it!

You should get a CPU cooler - something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

or if you are at a budget for this part, get at least this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Now, why Nvidia card? well any nvidia card runs better than Radeon on multiple AMD cores because AMD cores are weaker single-thread wise but they are obviously 6 core processors... And GeForce drivers take advantage of more cores than Radeon drivers.

With a beastly CPU cooler you can overclock the Phenom II x6 on your motherboard to anything from 3,3GHz to 4,2GHz, that all depends on how lucky copy did you get. :)

Try to get stable at 3,8GHz or so and if you aren't start slowly adding voltage incrementally. Heck, just check one of hundreds of overclocking guides in the internet.

GTX 780 would run great with your CPU. You would of course be bottlenecked in little-threaded games but it's the same with any AMD CPU anyway. Phenom II x6 actually beats FX-63xx as long as they are same clocks.

So... yes. You can upgrade GPU now, then the rest of system later. Actually i do not see any reason to upgrade your CPU until there is a major technology advancement (for example, DDR4 or something that would require actual total platform change).

I know I am not upgrading my CPU/mobo until there is a technology advancement. You can see what I am running currently. (overclocked to 3,2GHz from 2,7GHz without even changing box cooler yet).

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Save money, and buy all at once.

-> You have the latest tech

-> You know your latest needs and build a computer around that, is that changes.

-> Get lower prices

-> If something doesn't work, you know it, and return it. If it' after the return window, you'll be stuck doing an RMA process, which leads in most cases a refurbished product. So in the end, you payed full price on something and get a refurbished one.

Sound like anyone you know? *cough*LinusTech*cough* lol

Actually I would ask you first, what resolution are you playing? GTX 780 is an excellent card but it's pricey. A GTX 770 4GB or GTX 760 4GB would do you good on short-term ('waiting for whole platform upgrade' i.e. buying Skylake CPU in 2015 and a 880 or 980 GPU when there are any etc.)

Consider getting only an Nvidia GPU now. Why?

You have an excellent CPU at the moment and a great motherboard reading from my database of choice:

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Your mobo is EXCELLENT for overclockin and should be used to do it!

You should get a CPU cooler - something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu14s

or if you are at a budget for this part, get at least this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Now, why Nvidia card? well any nvidia card runs better than Radeon on multiple AMD cores because AMD cores are weaker single-thread wise but they are obviously 6 core processors... And GeForce drivers take advantage of more cores than Radeon drivers.

With a beastly CPU cooler you can overclock the Phenom II x6 on your motherboard to anything from 3,3GHz to 4,2GHz, that all depends on how lucky copy did you get. :)

Try to get stable at 3,8GHz or so and if you aren't start slowly adding voltage incrementally. Heck, just check one of hundreds of overclocking guides in the internet.

GTX 780 would run great with your CPU. You would of course be bottlenecked in little-threaded games but it's the same with any AMD CPU anyway. Phenom II x6 actually beats FX-63xx as long as they are same clocks.

So... yes. You can upgrade GPU now, then the rest of system later. Actually i do not see any reason to upgrade your CPU until there is a major technology advancement (for example, DDR4 or something that would require actual total platform change).

I know I am not upgrading my CPU/mobo until there is a technology advancement. You can see what I am running currently. (overclocked to 3,2GHz from 2,7GHz without even changing box cooler yet).

Wow I didn't know how good this mobo was for overclocking. So do you think i should just get a new gpu for now and just oc the shit outta my cpu? (obviously not crazy but to like 3.6 from 2.8? I'm at 3.2 now) And I just love physx in supported games, I think it looks amazing. And I am currently playing on a single 1080p monitor, but within the next year definitely want to get a triple setup or a single 1440p monitor. I think I might buy a new case because the cable management in my case is horrendous. I shouldve done more research when I bought it. Maybe a corsair 650D with an h100i?

Oh I felt it too for a while. :D I changed that though.

lol I have an NVIDIA 8800GTX in one of my systems. How many generations is that? 6?

lol I have an NVIDIA 8800GTX in one of my systems. How many generations is that? 6?

6-7 depending on if you count the actual generation or not. :D

Also there is no such thing as future proof.

For the most part, yes, but it depends on your wants and needs. Audio equipment, for instance, may completely satisfy you to the point where it couldn't be improved upon, in which case you would never want to upgrade. This is rarely ever the case for CPUs/GPUs though.

Wow I didn't know how good this mobo was for overclocking. So do you think i should just get a new gpu for now and just oc the shit outta my cpu? (obviously not crazy but to like 3.6 from 2.8? I'm at 3.2 now) And I just love physx in supported games, I think it looks amazing. And I am currently playing on a single 1080p monitor, but within the next year definitely want to get a triple setup or a single 1440p monitor. I think I might buy a new case because the cable management in my case is horrendous. I shouldve done more research when I bought it. Maybe a corsair 650D with an h100i?

Not a fan of watercooling AIO, im kinda traditionalist here. Air coolers are generally cheaper and give you much less hassle overally, while the temperature gains with watercooling AIO like Corsair h100i just isn't worth the frocking with it imho. But if you know how and have time and money go ahead (if it even fits in AM3 socket) :D

yes, OC the sh-t out of Phenom. 3,6GHZ is already very good.

GTX 780 is good if you can get it now. Remember that single 780 probably wouldnt be able to drive 3x monitor setup well anyway. 1440p is more realistic, but i'd rather save the money if you are at 1080p right now - no need to get 1440p, it's very expensive and wouldnt give you such a boost in visual quality (but would result in huge FPS drop).

If (when?) quality IPS or TN (whichever you preffer) 1440p get cheaper in some time (closer to current high-end IPS 1080p prices like Dell u2312HM) - get it, will be worth it.

You have two options when it comes to buying GPU right now. Get GTX 760 or 770 now and change GPU alongside CPU/platform again (in the long run you will end up with better GPU then GTX 780 but more money spent because buying GPU twice is always more expensive), or you could get GTX 780 now (which costs a lot more and you will have better GPU now but in 2 years it will be low-end anyway but you've spent 650$ on it while GTX 760 or 770 costs 250-500$).

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Lightning is nothing to jump for joy over I have a 680 and 7970 both lightning both not worth the extra money.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster