Favorite Windows OS? (No Trolls pls)

djdelarosa25

Vista.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I like windows 10. sure they spy a little, but you an turn that off

CPUFX 8320, Motherboard ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ AMD, RAM g.skill ripjaws x series (2x8gb), GPUstrix gtx 970, Storage 500gb + 500gb + 250 ssd, PSU EVGA 600w B 80 PLUS BRONZE, Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 24"+ Hisense 24" + Vizio 24", Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, PC Part Picker  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LFxQ23

Despite it's privacy issues, Windows 10 is by far the best aesthetically and purposefully in my opinion. I can't tolerate 8.1 unless I'm on a touchscreen device. 

I feel like 7 is the easiest to use. Maybe because it's the OS I've been using for years now. Never quite liked 8.1 nor 10. Both feel bloated IMO with useless touch features if you're on a PC.

Windows 7 was my friend. Up until I built my own PC. 8.1 was the way to go. Hard decision...

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

I like windows 10. sure they spy a little, but you an turn that off

Actually microsoft publicly admitted that it doesnt work. While there are settings that are meant to turn off some of it, much of their spying in their own words "cannot be stopped." It's like you thought you had broken out of the matrix only to find that your actually just living in another layer of deception designed to make you think you were free. Inception all over again, eh?(No this isn't some conspiracy theory im spouting, google it yourself, it's microsofts own statement.)

edit: To borrow a metaphor that people might be more likely to understand, the settings that you think are turning off the spying are like a knitted condom. It's there to make you feel warm and fuzzy, but it offers minimal to no actual protection.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I've gotten used to windows 8.1 after using it for so long

My Build: i7-4790K, 212 Evo, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600, Intel 730 240GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.0, NZXT H440 Blue/Black, EVGA 650W 80+Gold.

Most of the time, it's not the computer, it's the person using it.

The thing is that the features in win 10 about privacy have been backported to 7 and 8. Just go with the new one!

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

I loved windows XP, it was revolutionary at release, Visa was also nice, but it ran like shit on most PCs at the time, 7 was ugly, but it was a huge improvement to Visa SP1 since PCs were lots more powerful. I didn't like 8, but 8.1 is great, I hate 10.

8.1 is my favourite atm

Just wanted to see.

Hate to bandwagon, but Windows 10 for DX12, but Win7 for overall stability and not hating my desktop.

I don't need you either Windows 10! I'll be just fine with DX11!!!!

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Actually microsoft publicly admitted that it doesnt work. While there are settings that are meant to turn off some of it, much of their spying in their own words "cannot be stopped." It's like you thought you had broken out of the matrix only to find that your actually just living in another layer of deception designed to make you think you were free. Inception all over again, eh?(No this isn't some conspiracy theory im spouting, google it yourself, it's microsofts own statement.)

the problem is that literally NOBODY understands what this "spying" is

1) this "spying" conspiracy was based on two sentences in the terms and conditions that allows Microsoft access to any of your files

2) nobody will access your files unless there is a need to, such as the government notices youre doing illegal stuff and asks microsoft to give them access to your PC

3) your ISP is already "spying" on everything that you do while connected to the internet, from ANY device, not just windows 10

4) unless you are a high profile individual doing illegal stuff, nobody will ever see your data

5) cortana does send statistics such as stuff you search with it or whatever, just like any search engine does

6) this data is only read by servers and machines, no real humans ever see it

7) this data is combined with petabytes of other data from millions of other people. You are literally a nobody.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I loved windows XP, it was revolutionary at release, Visa was also nice, but it ran like shit on most PCs at the time, 7 was ugly, but it was a huge improvement to Visa SP1 since PCs were lots more powerful. I didn't like 8, but 8.1 is great, I hate 10.

8.1 is my favourite atm

i would say 10 since i've tried it once on my dad's pc, but i can't say 10 because i haven't tried it long term. Plus, i can't install it on my pc. like it totally rejects it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Simply because its what i'm using at the moment, Everything is working fine, And i can't be arsed to upgrade to windows 10

And because the upgrade now popup is making me want to upgrade even less.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

the problem is that literally NOBODY understands what this "spying" is

1) this "spying" conspiracy was based on two sentences in the terms and conditions that allows Microsoft access to any of your files

2) nobody will access your files unless there is a need to, such as the government notices youre doing illegal stuff and asks microsoft to give them access to your PC

3) your ISP is already "spying" on everything that you do while connected to the internet, from ANY device, not just windows 10

4) unless you are a high profile individual doing illegal stuff, nobody will ever see your data

5) cortana does send statistics such as stuff you search with it or whatever, just like any search engine does

6) this data is only read by servers and machines, no real humans ever see it

7) this data is combined with petabytes of other data from millions of other people. You are literally a nobody.

1)I've read the two sentences myself, I know what it says.

2)I'm not gonna go into detail but that may or may not apply to me. Ill just say that in some circles they call me Jack Sparrow.

3)There are ways around this if you don't like being spyed on period.

4)That may be true, but its more about the principle of the matter. I don't want the NSA listening in on my phonecalls even if they do nothing with it. I don't want my ISP and search engine tracking everything I search even if it is benign. And I dont want my operating system recording me either even if i'm too low profile for them. Just because a stalker doesn't do anything with the pictures they take of you, doesn't make me value my privacy any less.

5)Don't need to debate this, we agree that it sends statistics. That's part of what I'd prefer to avoid.

6)Again that's not the point. It's more about the principle of the matter. The point is they do have it, and they could read it if they really wanted to. Just because I'm being spyed on by machines doesnt make it not spying. Just because it's machine eyes watching me, doesn't make my experience any more private.

7)Well, gee. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Were all nobodys on a global perspective. But I'm a somebody to me. I care about my own privacy even if I'm a nobody to the rest of the world, so I'm going to take whatever steps I can to protect what I care about. If you don't then thats fine. Nobody is forcing you to try to protect your privacy(I say try because I admit that we can try, but are only successful to a limited degree), but you don't need to shit on people who DO care about it, and will try to protect it even if it's a vain effort. Like I said, its about the principle of the matter.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

The problem is the amount of ignorant people who say "don't use windows 10! it spies on you!" as if there was someone snooping through your computer or something

Spreading paranoia about something that is harmless is not a good thing because not only do the people believe it, but they also are convinced they dont get spied on by not using it

Not getting spied on while connecting to the internet is like not being seen while performing in a theatre

Completely ridiculous

So basically stop scaring people into not using windows 10, because it is a good OS and all it "spies" on are harmless data statistics, just like your browser

And no, you cannot keep your privacy. You have no privacy. You need to accept that. The government has access to all of the data you have ever sent over the internet. They can get anything they want, just like anyone can break into your house and get anything they want. That's how the real world works and you need to accept it, not lie to yourself and think youre "safe" by not using windows 10 because it wants to know how often you eat chinese food.

What people should be more worried about is keeping their passwords secure and not sending personal information while connected to unsecure wireless networks and stuff like that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The problem is the amount of ignorant people who say "don't use windows 10! it spies on you!" as if there was someone snooping through your computer or something

Spreading paranoia about something that is harmless is not a good thing because not only do the people believe it, but they also are convinced they dont get spied on by not using it

Not getting spied on while connecting to the internet is like not being seen while performing in a theatre

Completely ridiculous

So basically stop scaring people into not using windows 10, because it is a good OS and all it "spies" on are harmless data statistics, just like your browser

And no, you cannot keep your privacy. You have no privacy. You need to accept that. The government has access to all of the data you have ever sent over the internet. They can get anything they want, just like anyone can break into your house and get anything they want. That's how the real world works and you need to accept it, not lie to yourself and think youre "safe" by not using windows 10 because it wants to know how often you eat chinese food.

What people should be more worried about is keeping their passwords secure and not sending personal information while connected to unsecure wireless networks and stuff like that.

We will have to agree to disagree about my ability to be private over the internet. I believe it is possible if you truly care about it and are willing to put in the effort, and I believe this because I have taken the time to learn how I'm being spied upon, who is doing the spying, and how to avoid it. Do I believe i'm %100 secure in that privacy all the time? No, I'm not that arrogant. But I still fight like hell to maintain the privacy that I can, and do believe I have some degree of results. If you don't want to do so as well, that's your business, but I'm perfectly within my right to take steps to try to protect my privacy even if you think it's completely impossible.

As for spreading paranoia, don't accuse me of saying something that I haven't. That is a strawman fallacy. I never claimed Microsoft was doing the digital equivalent of snooping through your drawers. Spying can take many forms, and just that Microsoft does it in a different way, by automatically collecting your information and statistics on a massive database that human beings may or may not ever look at doesn't make it any less spying, than hiring some guy to actively browse my files all afternoon. You can call it whatever you want, and I don't disagree with you as to what their methods are but it is still spying, and I'm gonna call it what it is. If someone has some preconceived notion as to what spying means and makes unfounded assumptions, that is not my problem. And if I saw someone saying Microsoft was actively snooping through their digital drawers, I would correct them, and explain the true nature of how the spying occurs. Are other people spreading paranoia? I'm sure there are some people that do that, but I haven't made any false claims of what Microsoft does and doesn't do. We may disagree on weather or not it is harmless, but again we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I'd just prefer you didn't accuse me of spreading paranoia when I haven't done anything of the sort.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!