Hi guys, gonna need some help of urs to decide..

I can get:

I3 6100 for 122€

I5 6400 for 186€

I5 6500 for 205€

I'm in a budget, so the more money I spend on the cpu, the less money I'll spend in aftermarket cooling/modding/gpu/ram.

I want to game on this pc, but not heavily.. 1080p fifa 16/cs:go/league of legends/gta V and some of the newer games like just cause 3/dishonored 2/cod bops3/bf4.

What cpu should I get? Best price/performance? Should I really wait on my money and not get the i3 and wait till I have the money to buy an i5? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

An i5 is a worthwhile investment, as you are able to run newer titles better. Try getting an i5 from the older generation.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

i5 4460?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Cant go older gen.. I already bought the 1151 motherboard.

The 4460 costs 176€.. less 10€ than the 6400.. not worth :|

You could return the motherboard and say you bought the wrong part.

I second this though. You can get better price/performance if you go 1150 with a 4460 or 4690k

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

Hi guys, gonna need some help of urs to decide..

I can get:

I3 6100 for 122€

I5 6400 for 186€

I5 6500 for 205€

I'm in a budget, so the more money I spend on the cpu, the less money I'll spend in aftermarket cooling/modding/gpu/ram.

I want to game on this pc, but not heavily.. 1080p fifa 16/cs:go/league of legends/gta V and some of the newer games like just cause 3/dishonored 2/cod bops3/bf4.

What cpu should I get? Best price/performance? Should I really wait on my money and not get the i3 and wait till I have the money to buy an i5? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

if you haven bought mobo, ram or cpu and you want the best cpu option then this is the one. return the board if you did bought it and it stil within the period of time to refund

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Processor-E3-1231-Cache-Socket/dp/B00K64I0S4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452133497&sr=8-1&keywords=e3+1231v3

The 4460 costs 176€.. less 10€ than the 6400.. not worth :|

Just ignore everyone else. The 4460 is done for now. It is no longer the go-to Price:Performance CPU, especially if you have a Z170 MSI or Asrock board, as you can overclock locked Skylake chips. Let's not forget DDR4 is superior to DDR3 in every aspect once manually overclocked, and memory speed does in fact impact memory performance in situations with high CPU overhead, despite what they will try to say.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review (Scroll down to the benches with the 2666 vs 2133mhz memory)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

You can also click the link in my signature for my personal findings, or ask @SteveGrabowski0 about his personal experience with memory speed and gaming performance.

Overall, even without overclocking, you will still be better off getting Skylake. After all, CPU prices for the locked SKU's are within spitting distance of the locked Haswell CPU's, and DDR4 only costs about 60 cents more on average when compared to DDR3. As for your question, the i3 is probably the best Price:Performance at the moment. However, if you can spring for the i5, it would probably be better for you in the future. While the i3 will play any game currently out, we simply do not know what the future holds for gaming, as the dual core Pentiums are slowly being phased out. I reckon Dual Cores with HT will be next on the chopping block. You can always upgrade later i suppose, but biting that $70 bullet now will save you the headache in the long run.

EDIT: After re-reading this, i realize it is probably going to anger a lot of 4460 people, so I will end this by saying... put your benches up. I'll put mine up. I have the 6600T (It's a core i5 6400, but uses half the power) and i assure you, it will stomp all over a 4460.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just ignore everyone else. The 4460 is done for now. It is no longer the go-to Price:Performance CPU, especially if you have a Z170 MSI or Asrock board, as you can overclock locked Skylake chips. Let's not forget DDR4 is superior to DDR3 in every aspect once manually overclocked, and memory speed does in fact impact memory performance in situations with high CPU overhead, despite what they will try to say.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review (Scroll down to the benches with the 2666 vs 2133mhz memory)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

You can also click the link in my signature for my personal findings, or ask @SteveGrabowski0 about his personal experience with memory speed and gaming performance.

Overall, even without overclocking, you will still be better off getting Skylake. After all, CPU prices for the locked SKU's are within spitting distance of the locked Haswell CPU's, and DDR4 only costs about 60 cents more on average when compared to DDR3. As for your question, the i3 is probably the best Price:Performance at the moment. However, if you can spring for the i5, it would probably be better for you in the future. While the i3 will play any game currently out, we simply do not know what the future holds for gaming, as the dual core Pentiums are slowly being phased out. I reckon Dual Cores with HT will be next on the chopping block. You can always upgrade later i suppose, but biting that $70 bullet now will save you the headache in the long run.

EDIT: After re-reading this, i realize it is probably going to anger a lot of 4460 people, so I will end this by saying... put your benches up. I'll put mine up. I have the 6600T (It's a core i5 6400, but uses half the power) and i assure you, it will stomp all over a 4460.

you rejected my xeon option on the same price as that i5 6500 QwQ

so how was the result compared to 2 of my cpus X3

To follow up on @MageTank's post, just going to DDR3-2400 from DDR3-1600 gives me a 9.5% higher minimum framerate in GTA V at a mix of very high and ultra at 1080p with the system shown in my sig. Fallout 4 now runs at a locked 60 fps for me instead of getting occasional drops into the 50s with my DDR3-1600 kit. I would love to be able to run the really high speed DDR4 and I can't imagine buying a Haswell system from scratch right now, especially with non-K overclocking on Skylake.

Yeah I agree, if from scratch then skylake, too many people on this forum either hasnt oc the locked skylake or make false assumption and then misinformation fly.

you rejected my xeon option on the same price as that i5 6500 QwQ

so how was the result compared to 2 of my cpus X3

The problem with the Xeon option, is that he already has an 1151 board. Depending on the retailer, he might even have to pay a restocking fee if he switches it out with another board, which would completely negate the entire point of "price:performance". Had he not bought a board, the Xeon would have been a much better option, especially if he did not intend to overclock. 

I stand behind my decision involving Skylake i3 or i5. Even if he does not overclock them, both are great options. My 6600T boosts to 3.5ghz (2 threads) and 3.3ghz (4 threads) and stays there forever, given its very low temperatures even under load. DDR4 also has some amazing XMP kits coming out. G Skill just released 3200mhz CL14-14-14-34 kits with highly binned Samsung IC's in them. With the proper tuning, they would destroy my current fine tuned kit. Not to mention its 32gb for $260 at that speed. Absolutely impressive for what you are getting, compared to how much 32GB cost just last year alone.

The future for the 1151 platform is looking bright. No point trying to save $10 going Haswell. If we were comparing 4790k to 6700k, would be an entirely different story though. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The problem with the Xeon option, is that he already has an 1151 board. Depending on the retailer, he might even have to pay a restocking fee if he switches it out with another board, which would completely negate the entire point of "price:performance". Had he not bought a board, the Xeon would have been a much better option, especially if he did not intend to overclock. 

I stand behind my decision involving Skylake i3 or i5. Even if he does not overclock them, both are great options. My 6600T boosts to 3.5ghz (2 threads) and 3.3ghz (4 threads) and stays there forever, given its very low temperatures even under load. DDR4 also has some amazing XMP kits coming out. G Skill just released 3200mhz CL14-14-14-34 kits with highly binned Samsung IC's in them. With the proper tuning, they would destroy my current fine tuned kit. Not to mention its 32gb for $260 at that speed. Absolutely impressive for what you are getting, compared to how much 32GB cost just last year alone.

The future for the 1151 platform is looking bright. No point trying to save $10 going Haswell. If we were comparing 4790k to 6700k, would be an entirely different story though. 

I didnt even try to find out the max frequency I can oc my ram lol, I leave the time same as default, but yeah for me I prefer z170 skylake over z97 because the m.2 on z170 capable of delivering full speed for nvme ssd which z97 cant unless adapter. I love G.skill, my go to ram.