Can I plug in USB Type-C devices into Thunderbolt 3?

Fgtfv567

If I got the recently announced Razer Core, which uses Thunderbolt 3,

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-razer-core-looks-like-the-graphics-card-enclosure-weve-been-waiting-for/

and then plugged into a PC with USB type-c, no thunderbolt 3, would the Razer Core still work?

Does Type-C transfer PCI express data?

Can I use USB type-C to plug in an external GPU?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Aren't the connectors different shapes?

No they're both the same shape and use USB type C, I want to know if USB type-C can carry PCI express

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

USB can transport PCIe data, just much slower than Thunderbolt. I believe Type-C offers faster transfer rates on a larger bus, so the limit would be less noticeable, but it would not work uite as seamlessly as Thunderbolt.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

No they're both the same shape and use USB type C, I want to know if USB type-C can carry PCI express

Yes, but more slowly.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Yes, but more slowly.

OK, so I can use the razer core over type c (not thunderbolt 3) right?

your going to need to wait for it to be actually released. If anything I would expect it too only work one way Thunderbolt supporting usb connections but not usb c supporting pcie

Yes, but more slowly.

that's not how pci express lanes work.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

your going to need to wait for it to be actually released. If anything I would expect it too only work one way Thunderbolt supporting usb connections but not usb c supporting pcie

that's not how pci express lanes work.

USB can interface with PCIe. For example: USB GPU' s. They exist, but they are much slower.

USB can interface with PCIe. For example: USB GPU' s. They exist, but they are much slower.

No that is not correct. usb gpu's are not the same as pcie gpu's

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

No that is not correct. usb gpu's are not the same as pcie gpu's

They can interface with a PCIe bus and convert said signal to something that a USB input can read and interpret to display an image.

pci-express-x1-x16-usb-30-extender.jpg

They can interface with a PCIe bus and convert said signal to something that a USB input can read and interpret to display an image.

pci-express-x1-x16-usb-30-extender.jpg

That is a flexible shielded riser that used the USB3 connector because the cables are cheap and well shielded. IT WILL NOT carry a USB signal.

Edit: they do that because it is easier to route cables like that than the very delicate ribbon cables that usually come with risers.

Guys, I still have no definitive answer here.

Would the Razer Core work over USB Type C, no thunderbolt 3

Yo've gotta wait till it's fully released. Nobody actually know except Razer's engineers.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

The company also says that other PC OEMs with Thunderbolt 3 laptops should be able to implement support for the Core if they want. It's not clear what that would entail—Razer says it's a combination of drivers plus BIOS settings—but it would be nice to have a graphics enclosure that could work with laptops other than Razer's. Thunderbolt 3 is becoming surprisingly common in high-end systems as Skylake and USB Type-C spread.

Source: http://goo.gl/o46AXq

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

I am almost certain it wont. USB type c has no direct PCIe lane access by default. it's possible that hybrid ports will become a norm down the line but if you have a 3.1 type c port now I am almost certain it wont just work.