Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

I have the Corsair Vengeance K95 with Cherry Reds for my main gaming machine and the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate with the Blue switches for work (They haven't complained about the noise level yet, if they do I'll bring my IBM model M keyboard instead. :P)  

I also have a DAS Keyboard Model S Ultimate connected my home server terminal. I believe they are using Cherry Blues.

I am so tempted to pick up a set of these. http://dro.ps/techquickie

But $140 for a full set (with shipping) is quite a bit...

whaaa, are you paying 100$ in shipping  :o

I live in NORWAY and even for me it wouldn't

be that expensive.

whaaa, are you paying 100$ in shipping :o

I live in NORWAY and even for me it wouldn't

be that expensive.

A full ISO set (with numpad) would be 140 with shipping.

corsair k95 with browns,

bout to get a Ducky mini YOTH edition with either Reds or Browns (probably go reds as i already have a tactile mech keyboard, but then again it's for use with my laptop -really dont like the laptop keyboard - and i will mostly typing with it, not gaming, so i guess i should go brown with that logic...decisions...)

I am so tempted to pick up a set of these. http://dro.ps/techquickie

It's over $200 for the set I'd need/want. It's a very cool looking set though.

Freshly built~

Components:

• 62g 18k Gold Plated SPRiT Springs
  • Geekhack Thin lube
  • Geekhack Spring lube
  • R1 Geekhack Thick lube (applied on stabs)
  • 61x Gateron Clear/White switches
  • SIP sockets
  • White 2x3x4 LEDs
  • White SPRiT PCB
  • Transparent Red 5mm Acrylic plate
  • 18k Gold Plated Stabs (clipped, lubed)
  • Red Hard anodized FMJ Case
  • Thick Cherry POM keycaps
4PUkaB3.jpg

4HqF2Hr.jpg

JQgI4zV.jpg

rOik7g4.jpg

ZKCaQKJ.jpg

Z0Itxp3.jpg

Typing on this baby feels so nice on the fingers. The sliders are buttery smooth (absolutely no "sandy" feeling,), and the bottom out noise is pretty much non-existant. I recorded a short footage of me doing a typing test, but I think my camera was only able to pick up the upstroke noise!

These Gateron switches do not have any wiggle at all when I try to purposely twist the top housing left & right. This actually made it harder to pop the covers off from underneath, but also makes the switches really sturdy. Thankfully the plastics they use is high quality and is quite flexible as well.

Typing sound:

I am so tempted to pick up a set of these. http://dro.ps/techquickie

If I had money, I'd be on this in a snap. :(

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Freshly built~

Components:

• Geekhack Thin lube
  • Geekhack Spring lube
  • SIP sockets
  • White 2x3x4 LEDs
  • White SPRiT PCB

Typing on this baby feels so nice on the fingers. The sliders are buttery smooth (absolutely no "sandy" feeling,), and the bottom out noise is pretty much non-existant. I recorded a short footage of me doing a typing test, but I think my camera was only able to pick up the upstroke noise!

These Gateron switches do not have any wiggle at all when I try to purposely twist the top housing left & right. This actually made it harder to pop the covers off from underneath, but also makes the switches really sturdy. Thankfully the plastics they use is high quality and is quite flexible as well.

Typing sound:

It looks (and sounds) gorgeous!

Freshly built~

Components:

• Geekhack Thin lube
  • Geekhack Spring lube
  • SIP sockets
  • White 2x3x4 LEDs
  • White SPRiT PCB

Typing sound:

That is one sexy combo zeal!

So the Gateron is plate mounted I assume, really tempted to build one with their clicky switch

I'm still using my first mechanical keyboard, Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 edition. Cherry MX Blue switches, no mods. While I was fanboy-ish to Razer at the time, I really do like this keyboard significantly more than those of my friends. It could be that I'm much more used to mine, but who really knows.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Freshly built~

Components:

• Geekhack Thin lube
  • Geekhack Spring lube
  • SIP sockets
  • White 2x3x4 LEDs
  • White SPRiT PCB
-snip-

@Jokrik looks amazing. How are those Gateron switches I know people over at GH are crazy about them. Also what are those little metal stems where the led would be in the pics where you have the switch apart?

Those are SIP sockets. So you can change the LEDs without de-soldering.

ooh so cool! I need to get me some of those! though I dont think i have any boards id want to swap them out on but it would be a cool neat addition.

also @Zeal you need to do build logs for stuff like that man!

That is one sexy combo zeal!

So the Gateron is plate mounted I assume, really tempted to build one with their clicky switch

Gaterons are in a plate, but the ones I got are PCB mount to add extra stability.

also @Zeal you need to do build logs for stuff like that man!

I did make one similar to the above post on GH, just didn't take pics of the lubing process (took ridiculously long). It was also ~3am when I finished so was pretty exhausted already.

I think this build log was also what hyped up Gateron switches on GH :D

Needed a new keyboard which was cheap, reliable, mechanical, backlit, with a detachable cable and, possibly, a minimalistic look and you guys suggested me to buy a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i.. and I'm loving it! Wonderful quality/price ratio and awesome features too. +1 proud owner of a mechanical keyboard.  :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

I ascended! The shoes are a /r/mk thing btw, getting new ones anyway. Also, sorry for potato quality, seriously can't get a better camera yet.       

f1brfP7.jpg

Picked up a CM Storm Quickfire TK with MX Browns yesterday. 

r2P17Gp.jpg

PdwIuWG.jpg

This keyboard looks damm nice! I'm still using my shitty Logitech K120 keyboard. It's time to upgrade!  :D

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

This keyboard looks damm nice! I'm still using my shitty Logitech K120 keyboard. It's time to upgrade!  :D

This is potentially keyboard blasphemy, but I actually like the K120. IMO it's one of the better membranes out there (yeah, I know). Honestly, I'd take it over my K520. Sure I'll miss my media buttons, but the keys do have a certain tactility to them for a membrane. This K520 has gotten steadily louder over the years (verified against a new on in my local Staples) and feels worse each day. The K120s our school equipped the most recent upgrades with are fantastic.

Still nowhere near a mech though

Finally finished modding my CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i :)

Matt white spray paint

PBT front printed white key caps

MX Blue / MX Brown (Unfortunately it's bloody impossible to find a MX Blue Rapid-i with an ISO layout)

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Matt white spray paint

MX Blue / MX Brown (Unfortunately it's bloody impossible to find a MX Blue Rapid-i with an ISO layout)

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Pretty darn nice, although are you not killing the whole backlighting idea with white keycaps? :)

CPU: INTEL i7-4770K | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P w/ NF-A15 | MoBo: Asus Z87-Deluxe | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @2400MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II | PSU: Seasonic X-850 (KM3)

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro w/ white LEDs | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive) | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Storage) | ODD(s): LG BH10 BD Rewriter + LG DVD Rewriter | 5.25": Scythe Kama Panel 3.1 |

GAMEPAD: XBOX 360 | KEYBOARD: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid-i | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit | MONITOR: Samsung SyncMaster T220HD | SPEAKERS: Logitech LS21

Pretty darn nice, although are you not killing the whole backlighting idea with white keycaps? :)

Even with white keycaps the LEDs still shine through very nicely.  ;)

Still, I hardly keep them on anyway. I've taken quite a fancy to the lighting effect of reactive typing.  :D

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Matt white spray paint

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

That looks really good!

Here in Denmark it's quite easy to find the rapid-i with Blues, but we don't use the exact same layout as you Brits do, we need our æøå  :D

So you bought the rapid-i with browns and soldered the blues yourself? If that's the case how come you didn't went for browns on WASD cluster and blues for the rest?  :)

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

That looks really good!

Here in Denmark it's quite easy to find the rapid-i with Blues, but we don't use the exact same layout as you Brits do, we need our æøå  :D

So you bought the rapid-i with browns and soldered the blues yourself? If that's the case how come you didn't went for browns on WASD cluster and blues for the rest?  :)

Thanks!

I actually prefer MX Blues for both typing AND gaming. (I know, weird right? lol) If I had enough switches I probably would have done a full board conversion. My sister wanted a full blue keyboard which made a rather large hole in my supply of switches.  :lol:

Spoiler

Spoiler