How do I update my bios?

So I am trying to figure out why my PC continues to freeze for no reason and updating the bios may help.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte 970A- UD3P

Can anyone please point me in the right direction :)

Go to your mobo maker then go to support and you should find something. updating your bios should be your last resort. If it goes wrong it can fuck your board up 

So I am trying to figure out why my PC continues to freeze for no reason and updating the bios may help.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte 970A- UD3P

Can anyone please point me in the right direction :)

It will be in the manual.

Generally, you download the file, put it in the root directory of a USB stick, and then install it from your motherboard's BIOS. You may need to rename the file, precise instructions are (as I said) in the manual.

Do NOT use any of the in-OS BIOS update utilities. They don't always work, and when it comes to processes that have to work 100% of the time, you can't afford that risk.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It will be in the manual.

Generally, you download the file, put it in the root directory of a USB stick, and then install it from your motherboard's BIOS. You may need to rename the file, precise instructions are (as I said) in the manual.

^This @Zeako_

Do not use in-OS software to update the BIOS unless it is the only option available to you from the MOBO manufacturer, follow that procedure above along with whatever instructions your manual states (sometimes you will need to rename the .CAP file). 

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

^This @Zeako_

Do not use in-OS software to update the BIOS unless it is the only option available to you from the MOBO manufacturer, follow that procedure above along with whatever instructions your manual states (sometimes you will need to rename the .CAP file). 

Wait do I download this ? http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4717#bios

Do you have a rev 1.0 or rev 2.0 board?

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

You have to make absolutely sure, if you use the wrong revision you'll end up bricking the board (or accomplish nothing best case).

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=864

Once you know which revision you have select it on the page you linked, then download the BIOS file and follow the directions in the PDF available here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

In the Q-Flash section

Rev 1 bios is F2g atm, as latest. I think it's labelled as a BETA bios. (I also have a ud3p). You can find the revision near the PCIe connections in the bottom left at of the PCB (with the RAM slots being at the top right).

Download the file and I believe it's packaged in a 7zip self extractor. You should get 3 files. Copy them all to a FAT32 USB and go to your UEFI. Press F8 and it will ask you if you wnt to update from drive, say yes and it should automatically pick up the update from the USB. confirm the flash and it will do the rest. after that it will power off and might need 1 or 2 attempts to power back on.

You have to make absolutely sure, if you use the wrong revision you'll end up bricking the board (or accomplish nothing best case).

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=864

Once you know which revision you have select it on the page you linked, then download the BIOS file and follow the directions in the PDF available here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

In the Q-Flash section

wait, I just looked on my motherboard and on it it says rev 2.0 in the bottom left corner right by the HD Audio plug in

wait, I just looked on my motherboard and on it it says rev 2.0 in the bottom left corner right by the HD Audio plug in

So you have a Rev 2.0 board.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5194#bios the link at the top by the name of the board has the 1.0/2.0 links, <that is for rev 2.0

Download the most recent one (FB) and follow the PDF directions for Q-Flash I linked earlier.

in which case you need to get the latest bios for the rev2 version of the board :)

So you have a Rev 2.0 board.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5194#bios the link at the top by the name of the board has the 1.0/2.0 links, <that is for rev 2.0

Download the most recent one (FB) and follow the PDF directions for Q-Flash I linked earlier.

hey thanks man, Do you think this could help with my freezing issues.

As I said in the troubleshooting forums I have tried 

2 different GPU's

2 different HDD

Reinstalled Windows 3 times

Used 2 sets of 8gb ram (one of which my brother worked 100%)

Thanks for the help though bro!

hey thanks man, Do you think this could help with my freezing issues.

As I said in the troubleshooting forums I have tried 

2 different GPU's

2 different HDD

Reinstalled Windows 3 times

Used 2 sets of 8gb ram (one of which my brother worked 100%)

Thanks for the help though bro!

Without seeing a list of error codes through event viewer it would be impossible to diagnose accurately. The symptoms of freezing would also change any kind of guess. If it's a static screen freeze in the OS with no accompanying reboot, BSOD, or black screen it's an uncommon error. Could be anything from drivers to hardware, but it sounds like you've ruled out all hardware options aside from a different PSU.

Given that it's a 970 board if you were using an FX-8/9 I would guess hardcore VRM failure, but the 970A-UD3P is one of the only 970 boards that actually supports those CPU's OTB (AFAIK).

Without seeing a list of error codes through event viewer it would be impossible to diagnose accurately. The symptoms of freezing would also change any kind of guess. If it's a static screen freeze in the OS with no accompanying reboot, BSOD, or black screen it's an uncommon error. Could be anything from drivers to hardware, but it sounds like you've ruled out all hardware options aside from a different PSU.

Given that it's a 970 board if you were using an FX-8/9 I would guess hardcore VRM failure, but the 970A-UD3P is one of the only 970 boards that actually supports those CPU's OTB (AFAIK).

sorry for the late response. It's just a freeze where nothing moves. The fans for everything still spins. Could it be a faulty motherboard? 

sorry for the late response. It's just a freeze where nothing moves. The fans for everything still spins. Could it be a faulty motherboard? 

You'll have to look at the event viewer readouts first. If Windows is logging errors other than unexpected shutdown/restart that would indicate the problem. If it is not logging errors and is hard-faulting the entire system, hardware could certainly be responsible.