How To Install Linux [Ubuntu]

So you Finally decided to switch to linux, perhaps you got tired of windows crashing, or maybe you bought  a windows 8 pc, and decided you don't like the UI, regardless of why you want to move to Linux, You came to the right place.

So You Want To Run Linux

Linux is a great alternative to Windows, even if daunting, But fear not! I'm here to help.

Installing linux is the same as installing any other OS, I am not responsible for the loss of any Data or Damage to your PC. BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Choosing The Right Distribution

There are so many versions of linux to choose from, this is one of the reasons people tend to think of it as so complicated and hard, but really, each version is a separate OS, based on one of the base Kernels (Debian, BSD, etc), In this guide I'm going to teach you how to install Ubuntu, but there are other distros to choose from.

For professional use, I'd recommend Fedora, With WINE integration, it is a very strong choice for someone who needs to use windows programs, day in and day out.

For "thin and light" use, I'd recommend Mint, A lightweight distro, that still packs quite a punch.

For ease of use and gaming, I'd recommend Ubuntu. Thanks to the software center, almost every program you need is available right after installation. This is what we'll be using.

Installation

installing Ubuntu is even easier than installing Windows (and takes half as long).

For the first step, navigate to http://www.ubuntu.com/ and click downloads, you'll be brought to this page:

mE2pDkU.png

I chose 12.04 LTS, which will be supported for 4 years, however if the latest version appeals to you, it should work just as well.

After you make your choice, you need to choose between 64 and 32 bit versions, i'd recommend 64 bit for any computer that supports it.

Once you have it downloaded, you should have a .ISO file, get yourself a blank CD or DVD, or you can use a flash drive. Pop it into your DVD burner and right click the ISO and click Burn disk image.

once it's burned, power off your pc, set the bios to boot from CD, and power up, you should be running ubuntu!

How simple was that? Too simple, we're not done yet.

This is what's called a Live CD, it allows you to try out ubuntu before you commit to installing it, go ahead, try it out, if you break anything, just restart your pc.

Now that you've decided to install, click the install button, and fill out the information, It's pretty self explanatory. it will then take over and install ubuntu!

now that you've rebooted, you're in a true ubuntu environment, but it's not going to leave you lost, ubuntu has a built in "map", the ubuntu software center.

Software!

now that you have ubuntu installed, it's time to get it loaded with everything you need to feel at home, here's some important ones to search for:

Restricted extras:

a collection of codecs and other proprietary software such as flash.

WINE:

Helps restore compatibility with (most) windows programs.

OpenJDK:

Java's Linux Release.

GIMP:

An open source alternative to photoshop

Steam:

you all know what this is.

The Terminal

If you're an advanced user of linux, you should know what this is, but any new person just needs to know that it's linux's command prompt.

The Desktop

this is where everything you do happens (except for terminal), Here's mine:

KljgQku.jpg

not so different, huh?

Anyway, this is where I leave you, with a fresh install, and a map to point you where to go.

Nice tutorial!

I see you play runescape :P

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I might check Fedora out now. Thanks for the awesome guide!

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Nice tutorial!

I see you play runescape :P

people still play runescape????

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

So where is the part where we edit inittab to boot straight into runlevel 3?

• 4 weeks later...

How about dual booting with Windows 8

Windows on ssd and ubuntu on separate drive.

Rip out the ssd first and install to hdd so it plays nice?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4