Rebuilt PC in new case - may have fried something

ImInjured
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,

Restarting cmos or using the power button on the motherboard doesn't power on the machine. However resetting cmos did give some type of power to the USB ports for whatever reason

I would do the following:

1. Reseat all the RAM chips

2. Physically remove the CMOS battery - leave it out for like 20 minutes, then reinsert it

3. Reseat all power connectors. Don't just make sure they're snug, physically unplug them and plug them back in

4. Disconnect all optical drives, HDD's, SSD's, etc

5. Remove all add-in cards - it appears that your motherboard doesn't have onboard Video (Please correct if wrong), so leave your GPU in

6. Try again?

Report back after that - also let us know if there are any beep codes obviously.

the X99 Extreme11 has a POST Code readout on the motherboard. Please report if that is showing any codes/numbers.

I switched my computer case and the first thing I did was to clear my CMOS and went into bios to update my boot drive. After I updated I clicked save and exit. The computer powered off but a red light in the motherboard stayed on.

I tried to power on the machine again but it wouldn't power on. Then like an idiot I turned off the power supply and turned it back on. Now I get no activity from the computer at all. It won't boot or turn on. I tried resetting cmos again and I noticed the blue light on my usb stick turned on when I did this but nothing else happened.

I have a asrock x99 extreme11 motherboard I have made sure everything is plugged in and the motherboard is seated properly. Everything is how it was in the old case.

Where should I go from here.

Jump stared the power supply and the power supply turned on fine

broken on button?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

broken on button?

Restarting cmos or using the power button on the motherboard doesn't power on the machine. However resetting cmos did give some type of power to the USB ports for whatever reason

2. Physically remove the CMOS battery - leave it out for like 20 minutes, then reinsert it

3. Reseat all power connectors. Don't just make sure they're snug, physically unplug them and plug them back in

5. Remove all add-in cards - it appears that your motherboard doesn't have onboard Video (Please correct if wrong), so leave your GPU in

6. Try again?

Report back after that - also let us know if there are any beep codes obviously.

the X99 Extreme11 has a POST Code readout on the motherboard. Please report if that is showing any codes/numbers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6. Try again?

Doing this now. I will let you know the results in 20 minutes. There hasn't been a post code yet because it hasn't powered on.

Thank you for the help

Did everything in the list and nothing has changed.

I guess the motherboard may be toast.

Did everything in the list and nothing has changed.

I guess the motherboard may be toast.

Could be the case. I would start the RMA/Warranty process assuming it's still under the warranty.

I don't suppose you know anyone with a compatible CPU (or you happen to have a spare) that you could drop in and test with?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well I took the battery out without unplugging the power supply. I disconnected the power supply and took out the battery for 30 seconds and boom it booted.

Well I took the battery out without unplugging the power supply. I disconnected the power supply and took out the battery for 30 seconds and boom it booted.

Yeah sorry, I should have mentioned that. If the PSU is still connected, the motherboard can still feed power into the CMOS chip :P

Is it running smoothly now? Or are you still having other issues?

Yeah sorry, I should have mentioned that. If the PSU is still connected, the motherboard can still feed power into the CMOS chip :P

Had to run windows repair - but we're all up and running smoothly!

Thanks!

Bad news, it just happened again! 

Bad news, it just happened again! 

I figure your board went bad then. Do you have another PSU to try?