Crazy Idea... Can I cool an 8800gts with this?

iamdarkyoshi

Intel_SL3XL%20001.jpg

I am not joking. I have one of these and I have a GPU to cool. I already have a heatsink for the vrms and the videoram. The case has a 200mm fan on the side, so there is quite a bit of case airflow right onto the GPU. I cannot mount a stock intel cooler on it because of slot space restrictions.

I want to say no but I want to see what happens

fyi stock cooling

nvidia-geforce-8800-gts.jpg

and I know you have better cooling lying around

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Intel_SL3XL%20001.jpg

I am not joking. I have one of these and I have a GPU to cool. I already have a heatsink for the vrms and the videoram. The case has a 200mm fan on the side, so there is quite a bit of case airflow right onto the GPU. I cannot mount a stock intel cooler on it because of slot space restrictions.

Doubt it. Try it out..lol

I want to say no but I want to see what happens

fyi stock cooling

nvidia-geforce-8800-gts.jpg

and I know you have better cooling lying around

I do, but for onr, the box of heatsinks is far to heavy for one person to get it off the shelf, and it cannot be any thicker than two slots

I do, but for onr, the box of heatsinks is far to heavy for one person to get it off the shelf, and it cannot be any thicker than two slots

stock cooling is 2 slots you are good

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

For testing I suppose you could but the TDP of the P3 generation was around 25 watts while that card is 75+

Now fans buy you a lot of leeway since the P3 was usually case airflow cooled, but it still may not be able to dissipate the heat. The base plates are fairly thin so you don't use the closer to edge fins as effectively.

For testing I suppose you could but the TDP of the P3 generation was around 25 watts while that card is 75+

Now fans buy you a lot of leeway since the P3 was usually case airflow cooled, but it still may not be able to dissipate the heat. The base plates are fairly thin so you don't use the closer to edge fins as effectively.

Mine is a bit different, and the baseplate is much thicker

Judging by the fact that there are heat pipes on the stock cooler, that would indicate to me that that chip puts out quite a lot of heat under load. It's an older card and it would be an interesting experiment, but I would be wary of that.

ASU

Ahhh, the good old days 8800gts