Need advice: Stripped screw on Motherboard

Hi guys!

Recently I've received a new case, and so I wanted to swap my rig...

So I started to take all the components out, and then something unexpected happened, the last screw on the motherboard (the one in the center) got stuck!

I didn't realized at the time, I only saw it when I lifted up the screwdriver to check... the screw was completely stripped! instead of an X it turned into a hole, the screwdriver doesn't even get a grip on it anymore.

So frustrating, I was one screw away to finish and bam I got "screwed"

So I'm asking please can someone help me? Advice, tips, anything...

I don't know if it's important but the motherboard is a asus tuf sabertooth shield edition matx

I attached a picture of a similar example 

Thanks guys

post-229265-0-95700900-1451655470.jpg

PC Specs    Processor: Intel Core i7-4790k@ 4.00GHz ;  Motherboard: Asus Z97 TUF GRYPHON Armor Ed ;  RAM: 8GB Total ( 2 x 4GB )  ; GPU: Asus Strix Nvidia GTX 980 ; Storage: SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / HDD 2Tb  ;  OS: Windows 10 64-bit ;  Display(s) DELL U2515H 25" 2560 x 1440 ; Mouse: Razer Mamba  

give this a go

c484b91cd42f3ea3d5fa3119205898c6459097d7

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

give this a go

That's a rubber band, correct? lol

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

That's a rubber band, correct? lol

professional-betfair-traders-habits.png

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Was in your shoes several times. However every time I had room to breath. Meaning the screw was not screwed fully to motherboard.

Then just drilled with a drill which was smaller a little bit than the screw cap. And screw cap fell off. However that was done, because the standoffs were totally stripped and not going out...

I dunno maybe in your situation I would drill the standoff to be a little bit safer.

try the rubber band

if that doesnt work then you will need to drill it out

make sure you put some of the other motherboard screws in first, so that the board doesnt fall off when the screw comes out

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Try putting a decent Phillips head bit on a drill, and set it to remove the screw, then apply a fair amount of pressure onto the screw while also trying to remove it, I've had to do that a few times when removing terribly stripped screws from pieces of wood.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If it's that buggered up the rubber band idea might not work but it's worth a try. Personally I'd grab a small slotted screw driver ... small enough to fit in the divot left by the phillips ... apply some down pressure and see if I could persuade it out that way. Perhaps you could also rotate the motherboard a bit and maybe the friction would help loosen the screw. If the screw protrudes out the back of the plate enough to get a grip on it with vice-grips that might work too. As a last resort you can try drilling it out but drilling out screws isn't as easy as it looks.

You could also pick up a small set of torx bits, they are handy on a lot of stuff, you might be able to shove a torx bit maybe even combined with that rubber band trick and make some headway on it.

Alright Thank you guys for all the suggestions,

So I tried the rubber band, and didn't worked, but i was thinking of maybe using superglue...I don't know

Unfortunately I don't own a drill...and I'm living abroad. Damn I miss my dad's tools

I'm also kinda scared to kill the mobo because I checked the price and it costs 140£, way more than I expected.

And it wasn't me who build it the first time unfortunately, probably the company used an electric screwdriver

I found this tough...maybe I'll buy it, maybe it will help...

41mKiZnh2OL.jpg

Alright guys thanks for your help

I'll keep reading your advice, I'll keep you all updated

Thank you!

PC Specs    Processor: Intel Core i7-4790k@ 4.00GHz ;  Motherboard: Asus Z97 TUF GRYPHON Armor Ed ;  RAM: 8GB Total ( 2 x 4GB )  ; GPU: Asus Strix Nvidia GTX 980 ; Storage: SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB / HDD 2Tb  ;  OS: Windows 10 64-bit ;  Display(s) DELL U2515H 25" 2560 x 1440 ; Mouse: Razer Mamba