What Do You Do If Your PC Started Smoking When You Turn It On

NavXIII

Just rebuilt my gaming pc after cleaning out all the dust and rewiring everything with proper cable management. When I turned it on one of the top fans didn't spin and I saw a small puff of smoke rise up from the case. I turned it off instantly and smelled something like burnt hotdogs.

What do I do? 0_0

rip

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Unplug everything

EDIT:

Take each individual piece out again, try to locate where the burning smell is coming from. This is most likely a PSU failure but its possible that something else got burned out due to using a wrong cable

erghhhh.

cry?

Turn it off and cry.

Make to put out the fire though to prevent it from burning down your house!

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Pray for my soul. It was booting just fine but that one fan didn't spin and the smoke came out of that area.

Might have blown your PSU, or even worse your motherboard, which would have comboed with quite a few other things likely.

Take the smokes off it and lecture the shit out of it

jks, sorry couldn't resist

Isolate the power and have a good smell around see if anything burnt, even if you smell bad stuff, it doesn't mean it's dead. However you need to figure out what caused it so re connect all the PSU cables and check motherboard stand offs

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

you might have a short somewhere

hopefully the PSU is the goner

otherwise the mobo might be fried

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Pray for my soul. It was booting just fine but that one fan didn't spin and the smoke came out of that area.

Fan short then, make sure you plugged it in correctly, I did that before.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I'd inhale. PC Smoke mhm.

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

Call AMD and ask who had the clever idea of selling a 220W CPU to OEM?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Take the smokes off it and lecture the shit out of it

jks, sorry couldn't resist

Isolate the power and have a good smell around see if anything burnt, even if you smell bad stuff, it doesn't mean it's dead. However you need to figure out what caused it so re connect all the PSU cables and check motherboard stand offs

The only thing I took out of the case while cleaning it was the GPU. I'm going to unplug all the drives and take the GPU out again. Smell seems to only come from that one fan.

Inspect the parts for any kind of burnt pins, components, and/or insulation. You may not have connected something properly, like a wire for ground connecting to power(just as an example).

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The only thing I took out of the case while cleaning it was the GPU. I'm going to unplug all the drives and take the GPU out again. Smell seems to only come from that one fan.

That's a good sign

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Fan short then, make sure you plugged it in correctly, I did that before.

That fan has a 2 pin connector and a molex. I plugged it into a 3 pin slot. I find it odd cus the other fan I have next to it is the exact same model plugged into a 4 pin slot. Should I try turning the PC on without any drives, GPU, and without that fan?

That's a good sign

The LED on the power button on the mobo is still on. Should I try turning it on again without that fan and most components connected?

The LED on the power button on the mobo is still on. Should I try turning it on again without that fan and most components connected?

Yep. Though be ready to flick the power off just in case.

PMSL

That fan has a 2 pin connector and a molex. I plugged it into a 3 pin slot. I find it odd cus the other fan I have next to it is the exact same model plugged into a 4 pin slot. Should I try turning the PC on without any drives, GPU, and without that fan?

just take the fan off and it should be fine :)

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Yep. Though be ready to flick the power off just in case.

It booted just fine. Crisis somewhat adverted. Although I now I have 2 other problems. The other fan of the same model doesn't spin but it's LED lights up. Also my case is an Arc XL which comes with a fan controller. I hooked up the 3 fans that come with it to it but none of them spin. Actually no fan I have connected to the fan controller works. 

It booted just fine. Crisis somewhat adverted. Although I now I have 2 other problems. The other fan of the same model doesn't spin but it's LED lights up. Also my case is an Arc XL which comes with a fan controller. I hooked up the 3 fans that come with it to it but none of them spin. Actually no fan I have connected to the fan controller works. 

Try connecting the fans (apart from the dead 1) 1 at a time to the motherboard. The fan controller might have been what killed the fan.

Edit: Though the fan controller shouldn't actually die if its similar to what my case has, its got 1 Molex in to the 2 switches (which have low-off-high) which then goes to 2 front fans for the first switch, and 2x top and 1 rear for the second switch.

PMSL

Try connecting the fans (apart from the dead 1) 1 at a time to the motherboard. The fan controller might have been what killed the fan.

Edit: Though the fan controller shouldn't actually die if its similar to what my case has, its got 1 Molex in to the 2 switches (which have low-off-high) which then goes to 2 front fans for the first switch, and 2x top and 1 rear for the second switch.

The dead fan was connected directly to the mobo. I connected a spare fan I got to the same slot and it didn't spin either but it did spin on the other slots. So the slot doesn't seem to work anymore. 

The fan connecter was a separate issue. I had that problem before and I wanted to open up my pc and fix it but no luck. Before I had my red LED fans connected to it (including the dead one before it was dead) and none of them spun, so now I swapped them for the default case fans which the manual said would work but still no luck.

EDIT: Mine has a molex and 3 3 pin connectors, as well as a 5 7 12 volt switch.