noctua.....why so ugly?

azorahai

Proud owner of the beastly nh-d15 but why does this company make such distinctively ugly fans? The color is disgusting. Surely people of told them this before...it doesn't work with any build I've seen.

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHZ...Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 Rev. 1.0...Gigabyte 980TI Gaming G1 "Windforce" (x2) in SLI...Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512 GB...Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 2400 MHZ 32 GB (8x4) Black...NZXT Kraken X61 (Top) with 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair Carbide Air 540 Arctic White Case with 1 Rear Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fan and 3 Front Noctua NF-F12 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair AX1500i PSU...CableMod White & Black Replacement Cables...Windows 10 Home...LG 34UC97 1440p 21:9 60hz Monitor...Ducky Shine 4 Keyboard...Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

It got them noticed. Now it's brand recognition.

Bold brand.

Could be a statement, "people are so sure that our fans are the best that they put up with the colour"

Not all of us. lol

~Cynical~

three letter ppc

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Well people know what color is it? well the advertisement team should get a cookie. People still buy the fan because it high quality.

Magical Pineapples

Ok, lets be honest here. They are NOT ugly. Brown and tan are not ugly colors in the right context. These are the colors of steampunk, fine leather, wood, and plenty of other things we love. The problem with them isn't that the colors are ugly, it's that they don't  match anything in the context of pc building. No one really makes cases/video cards/motherboards in matching colors. If they did make them in those colors, the noctua fans would fit in such builds very well and probably wouldn't be demonized as much. Unfortunately most component manufacturers cave to pressure and make all their parts accented with bright primary colors as if they were out of a toddlers lego set. Just because such colors are standard doesn't make them inherently better, in fact I would argue a brown or a light tan has much more character.

Edit: Point is, Noctua shouldn't be blamed for making products with quality sophisticated color schemes. The pc component industry should be blamed for making all their parts look like they are out of a lego duplo set.

interior-bedroom-brown-also-fresh-cream-

B002RL7VNO_02_lg.jpg

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Reminds me of the HD 598 by Sennheiser, I personally like the colour as it marks quality.

Can confirm.

Own and use the HD598 in all it's brown and cream glory.

And Also use NF-f12's. They're just an outstanding fan.

I guess you could say I'm a fan of both.

Can confirm.

Own and use the HD598 in all it's brown and cream glory.

And Also use NF-f12's. They're just an outstanding fan.

I guess you could say I'm a fan of both.

LOL nice one xD

I actually like the colour of them, on my NH-D14. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

It got them noticed. Now it's brand recognition.

I think I went over to a friend's house a while ago, or I was looking at a show computer in a store, and the distinct brown color sure as shit stood out against everything else.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Ok, lets be honest here. They are NOT ugly. Brown and tan are not ugly colors in the right context. These are the colors of steampunk, fine leather, wood, and plenty of other things we love. The problem with them isn't that the colors are ugly, it's that they don't  match anything in the context of pc building. No one really makes cases/video cards/motherboards in matching colors. If they did make them in those colors, the noctua fans would fit in such builds very well and probably wouldn't be demonized as much. Unfortunately most component manufacturers cave to pressure and make all their parts accented with bright primary colors as if they were out of a toddlers lego set. Just because such colors are standard doesn't make them inherently better, in fact I would argue a brown or a light tan has much more character.

Edit: Point is, Noctua shouldn't be blamed for making products with quality sophisticated color schemes. The pc component industry should be blamed for making all their parts look like they are out of a lego duplo set.

interior-bedroom-brown-also-fresh-cream-

B002RL7VNO_02_lg.jpg

I agree... But... A Duplo case would kinda rock! lol

~Cynical~

I agree... But... A Duplo case would kinda rock! lol

Well yea, if that's the theme your going for, it'll look bad ass. I've seen people do Lego cases before and they rock. But if you want something that looks a bit more sophisticated, your stuck with noctua fans, and nothing else to match them.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well yea, if that's the theme your going for, it'll look bad ass. I've seen people do Lego cases before and they rock. But if you want something that looks a bit more sophisticated, your stuck with noctua fans, and nothing else to match them.

Well... We could always just start modding our builds to match. I mean...

If Linus can pour 3lbs of glitter in a machine, I'm sure someone can make a classy Tan/Brown build with proper painting techniques. :)

It has to start with us.

~Cynical~

It makes them easily recognisable, and I think they look good ... by themselves, they don't really go well with anything else.

Well... We could always just start modding our builds to match. I mean...

If Linus can pour 3lbs of glitter in a machine, I'm sure someone can make a classy Tan/Brown build with proper painting techniques. :)

It has to start with us.

Well I plan on building a classy steampunk build that I will make a build log of once I got all the parts. It's gonna be a black and copper color scheme with some brown accents to match the noctuas. My hope is to watercool it using copper tubes. I have managed to find components that don't really have all those bright primary colors so I don't have to paint anything custom other than the case. They do exist, you just gotta look for them.

edit: Little spoiler. I am going to try to spread brown leather matching the noctua's darker brown color, across the front panel of the case kinda like vinyl wrap. The rest will probably be powder coated black.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well I plan on building a classy steampunk build that I will make a build log of once I got all the parts. It's gonna be a black and copper color scheme with some brown accents to match the noctuas. My hope is to watercool it using copper tubes. I have managed to find components that don't really have all those bright primary colors so I don't have to paint anything custom other than the case. They do exist, you just gotta look for them.

edit: Little spoiler. I am going to try to spread brown leather matching the noctua's darker brown color, across the front panel of the case kinda like vinyl wrap. The rest will probably be powder coated black.

That sounds awesome! Be sure to tag me when you post it.

~Cynical~

They now make black versions of the fans too (with removable brown rubber corners) that you can buy separately.

You would think that they could just make them all black from now on....

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHZ...Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 Rev. 1.0...Gigabyte 980TI Gaming G1 "Windforce" (x2) in SLI...Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512 GB...Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 2400 MHZ 32 GB (8x4) Black...NZXT Kraken X61 (Top) with 2 Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair Carbide Air 540 Arctic White Case with 1 Rear Noctua NF-A14 PWM LTT Edition Fan and 3 Front Noctua NF-F12 PWM LTT Edition Fans and White Noctua Chromax Pads...Corsair AX1500i PSU...CableMod White & Black Replacement Cables...Windows 10 Home...LG 34UC97 1440p 21:9 60hz Monitor...Ducky Shine 4 Keyboard...Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

They now make black versions of the fans too (with removable brown rubber corners) that you can buy separately.

Will have to check that out as I too find the Noctuas to be just downright ugly! :wacko:

Simple answer. Because they can. Their products are such high quality that people buy them. No matter colors. And since its part of their whole branding. And furthermore since they launched with color scheme when there weren't that many side windowed cases.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv