Project Nstalgic: Scratch-built Case, Desk, Passive LCS on Copper Tubing [ SCRAPPED ]

That's definitely an interesting setup, I wonder how you're going to handle cable management, though.

Actually this setup makes cable management a breeze  ;)                                   Next post

Trust me I know what i am doing, this isn't my first project !

I posted a review here a while back, Check it out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/21249-my-take-on-the-dominator-platinum-light-bar-upgrade-kit/

I know there isn't much to see but that was my last build and it was passive cooled too :rolleyes:  

post-22033-0-48405200-1378226025.jpg

post-22033-0-42843400-1378226037.jpg

post-22033-0-38685400-1378226052.jpg

UPDATE: Left Side Panel & the Window of the Case ! Next post

Using allen key screws for the panels, they will later be plated to shining silver.

To give the window a more natural look tried shaving the edges, it worked but looked horrible  :( 

Again carbon fibre vinyl to the rescue. So, What you guys think of the allen key screws & the usage of the  carbon fibre vinyl?

post-22033-0-09044700-1378237434_thumb.j

The Allen key screws definitely gives it a certain character, a sort of industrial/custom made feel which is appropriate I guess. Still not sure whether you'd have been better off with black pop rivets, especially since it's not symmetric around the window.

The Allen key screws definitely gives it a certain character, a sort of industrial/custom made feel which is appropriate I guess. Still not sure whether you'd have been better off with black pop rivets, especially since it's not symmetric around the window.

I personally do not like rivets and will do everything I can to have purely screws+nuts holding my case together (eventually). Simply for the ease of taking things apart later combined with that I like the aesthetics. 

Though I also like symmetry and prefer it when possible and it makes sense. 

I think the allen keys are a nice touch, but at the same time I personally hate their shape (Cylinders). I prefer Hexagons or something similar myself. I only would want them to either be domed, or not curved at all. 

The Vinyl looks good. Having it throughout the case with solidify it's theme imo. I personally would like some buffer as I can see how the vinyl is not uniform and that would bother the crap out of me, but again, your choice and it might be fine with you. 

But yeah, looking great so far and I am just being nit picky. I would want it all perfect if I were going through this much to get this kind of case myself.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The entire side panel has to be easily removable which any sort of rivets won't allow. Next update

I am also trying to build my case around my desk's theme. Yeah I am a sucker for aluminium finishes and shining silver  :wub: 

As you also pointed out in the PM, nickel plated copper tubing will also go great with the plated allen key screws !

Here is my desk, Sorry about the low light picture took this a while back to show the blue back light of the monitor.

None the less you can see the theme too !

post-22033-0-63723600-1378269497.jpg

This is going to be so awesome :). Looking forward to see the rest.   

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

I think the allen keys are a nice touch, but at the same time I personally hate their shape (Cylinders). I prefer Hexagons or something similar myself. I only would want them to either be domed, or not curved at all. 

The Vinyl looks good. Having it throughout the case with solidify it's theme imo. I personally would like some buffer as I can see how the vinyl is not uniform and that would bother the crap out of me, but again, your choice and it might be fine with you. 

But yeah, looking great so far and I am just being nit picky. I would want it all perfect if I were going through this much to get this kind of case myself.

What do you mean? not uniform   :huh: Where?

What do you mean? not uniform  :huh: Where?

Look at the top right corner of the vinyl on the window. See how the pattern of the vinyl that is going up the side panel vertically faces opposite the pattern of vinyl going horizontally across the panel? You may have done that intentionally but seeing that seam bothers the crap out of me. I have OCD about such things.

Very very clean job though. I cannot see any misaligned edges at all. 

Here is a picture to show you what I mean:

9669485989_0538cc350b_o.png

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Look at the top right corner of the vinyl on the window. See how the pattern of the vinyl that is going up the side panel vertically faces opposite the pattern of vinyl going horizontally across the panel? You may have done that intentionally but seeing that seam bothers the crap out of me. I have OCD about such things.

Very very clean job though. I cannot see any misaligned edges at all. 

Here is a picture to show you what I mean:

9669485989_0538cc350b_o.png

Yes, you are absolutely right but I didn't realized that is what you meant though  :lol: 

Using vinyl was never in the plan, I just used the leftovers from my work on the bike.

I wasn't even sure i am gonna go this way and I also don't have enough width on the vinyl to do it properly as you pointed it out.

Since everything was pre cut for my other project. So, for now I'm allocating all of my free time; which is not much  <_<​  to getting it finished !

Oh! I am huge nitpicker too but for now I'm telling myself "lets get on with it" 

I will change whatever that can be changed/tweaked later, Later...

UPDATE: Case Isn't Ready but it's Test Drive time ! Next update

Seriously, I just need some inspiration... 

Even though it's nowhere near finished. I've finally decided to give it a go.

Gonna test fit everything and have to ghetto fit some stuff too  B) Wish me luck !

post-22033-0-01002600-1378328677_thumb.j

I like the carbon fiber window seal 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Update: Right Side Panel's Bottom Mesh Next post

Nothing fancy this time around. Just your everyday net, that I brought from a hardware store.

Nets are placed at a angle, for a different look. Spray painted and again used the carbon vinyl as the temporary measure.

I've finally decided to go with a artwork instead of the carbon vinyl. However, that will have to wait for now !

post-22033-0-76248100-1380058057_thumb.j

Looks really nice, what will the mesh be used for, though? since I doubt it would able to stop much dust if it will be used as an intake or if you use negative case pressure. Also that's a very nice setup, looking forward for more updates.

Looks really nice, what will the mesh be used for, though? since I doubt it would able to stop much dust if it will be used as an intake or if you use negative case pressure. Also that's a very nice setup, looking forward for more updates.

Thanks, actually it won't be in use for the moment. I will spray paint a black cardboard or something to block the mesh from the inside.

So the inside of the case can get to the needed negative pressure to pull cool air from outside through the rads.

However, hopefully soon. I am planning to add another 480 to the loop there, when I add another 780 and go for SLI :D

It was in the original plan but currently don't have the money for it  <_< 

Thanks, actually it won't be in use for the moment. I will spray paint a black cardboard or something to block the mesh from the inside.

So the inside of the case can get to the needed negative pressure to pull cool air from outside through the rads.

However, hopefully soon. I am planning to add another 480 to the loop there, when I add another 780 and go for SLI :D

It was in the original plan but currently don't have the money for it  <_< 

Cool. It will also give you a chance to see how well the cooling performs with one GPU before going for a second.

Cool. It will also give you a chance to see how well the cooling performs with one GPU before going for a second.

Yeah. I don't mind if things get a bit toasty as long as they run silent and smooth as they should  -_- 

Working on the SSD/HDD mounts behind the mobo tray. Something I took inspiration from Linus's ghetto ssd mounts on his build !

The actual mount style however is taken from Fractal Design's Core 1000 mounting.

Going to post update soon, Stay tuned  :D

post-22033-0-56928100-1378593945.jpg

This is the project artwork !

Let me know what you think of my ms paint job  ;) 

Build Log Supplemental: Stardate 201309.09 Next update
Finally! Started my work on the SSD/HDD mounts behind the mobo tray.
After couple of trial and error it's looking promising  -_-  
Going to post pics of the finished work with some drives mounted soon, Stay tuned  !
post-22033-0-66304000-1380058157_thumb.j

UPDATE: SSD/HDD Mount behind the mobo tray ! Next post

Something I took inspiration from Linus's ghetto mounted ssd's on his build !

The actual mount style however is taken from Fractal Design's Core 1000 mounting.

Fitting drives properly is harder than I thought   :angry: 

Even though the drill holes were perfect in the first run but there weren't enough room to plug the power and data cables ! 

So, I had to make a new one from scratch   :( 

By my current measurement this case can hold 12 x 2.5" & 4 x 3.5" drives just behind the mobo tray alone !

Since this is a 90 degree angled setup, there won't be any real need for cabling behind the mobo tray.

Meaning I can fit 3 drive mount trays there but only have enough space for one tray full of 3.5" drives and 2 more trays with 2.5" drives.

I did put a lot of space there even though this build will hold only 2 ssd's and 2 hdd's in just one tray. So, that will leave enough room to fit an elephant   :lol:  

That space well come in handy since I might have to route some copper tubing's in there too!

post-22033-0-44762000-1380058200_thumb.j

oh man! amazing mounting! i love it!

keep us wanting for more and more!

:lol:

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

Looks better than what I expected and now I see what you meant by how you will be able to fit so many drives in. It's quite an interesting solution never seen anything like that before. Good Job! Keep it up :)