Neutron - A Heavily Modified SG05 (R9 290/Xeon E3-1231v3)

byalexandr

I based the name for this project on a neutron star, after searching Google for something hot and dense (don't do that). This project combines one of the hottest running cards on Earth and a space only 7.8 liters in size, similar to a neutron star which is the hottest and smallest star known to man. I might change the name, idk.

So to begin, I must say that this is a continuation from this build log, plus a few updates that I forgot to include: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/425530-build-log-the-shoebox-silverstone-sg05-xeon-1231v3-r9-290/

I figured that this build is going in a completely different direction, and it still might go in a different direction, even if it uses the same parts. Plus I forgot to keep that build log updated so we're starting a new one.

So what am I doing to the SG05? Well, it's already one of the smallest cases on the market. At 10.8L, it's very small and if you compare it any other cases that are readily available it might just be the smallest (except the Node 202). But obviously that's not good enough for me, so I want to make it even smaller. I will do this by moving the PSU down, flush with the GPU, and 'slicing' off the top of the case. Here you can see how much the PSU can move down:

post-2597-0-38045500-1451243211_thumb.jp

Doing this will shave off about 5cm from the top of the case, effectively removing around 3 liters of wasted space. This will look a bit funny if I leave it in it's current orientation, so I will be rotating the case clockwise (so that the GPU is horizontal and takes in air from the top), and designing the new panels and all around this idea. Here you can see the chassis, a bare frame that's been already heavily modded:

post-2597-0-74181000-1451243371_thumb.jp

That's it for now, I will post an update once the modding process begins. This is going to require completely new front and rear chassis panels, which I plan on making completely by hand from a flat sheet of 22 gauge steel. Here is a current spec list:

Intel Core i3 4170

AsRock B85M-ITX

AData Premier 16GB DDR3-1600

Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM 500GB Laptop HDD

XFX R9 290 Core Edition 4GB (w/ a PowerColor reference cooler)

Silverstone SFX 450W 80+ Bronze

And here is how I would like to have it once it's all finished:

Intel Xeon E3-1231v3

AsRock B85M-ITX

Cooler Master Seidon 120V

AData Premier 16GB DDR3-1600 (with custom heatspreaders)

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (already on order, gets here Tuesday)

Sapphire R9 290X (with some sort of custom cooling solution, preferably a full copper heatsink under 2 slots in width)

Silverstone SFX 600W 80+ Gold

Quite the upgrades, and it's going to take time to get them all in order, but I'm slowly working on it. I'll be back in a bit with some pictures. Thanks!

Unfortunately I have no rendering of the final product but I will try and complete it in a timely manner! Feel free to follow this topic if you would like periodic updates on this build/mod.

@0ld_Chicken

Looking forward to seeing the end result, ITX builds always interest me, especially ones with this much power under the hood.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Why 290x? Not a huge upgrade.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Loved how you named it after a hot, dense star. Very fitting for an ITX build with a 290x.

Oh, and followed because dis gon b gud

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Why 290x? Not a huge upgrade.

Just because it bugs me to not have the entire core working when it's sitting right there.

This is sick

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Just because it bugs me to not have the entire core working when it's sitting right there.

lemme cop that 290

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Just get a ncase m1....

Are you kidding? That thing is bigger than a stock SG05. This is going to smaller than a Node 202, and almost as small as a Dan Case A4, which is (I believe) the smallest production ITX case that can house a full size GPU at 7.25L. And, if I were to get an R9 Nano or something ridiculous, I got slice the length of the chassis in half as well and have something even smaller.

looks nice, i would invest on a 500w/600w sfx psu, but w/e

also did i see a ducky keyboard? if so, how it is so far?

The site has changed....

I will be replacing the SFX 450W with an SFX 600W, the PSU is limiting my GPU memory overclocks currently.

Oh and the Ducky Shine 3 TKL is by far my favorite. Excellent keyboard.

Are you kidding? That thing is bigger than a stock SG05. This is going to smaller than a Node 202, and almost as small as a Dan Case A4, which is (I believe) the smallest production ITX case that can house a full size GPU at 7.25L. And, if I were to get an R9 Nano or something ridiculous, I got slice the length of the chassis in half as well and have something even smaller.

doo eeettt

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

thats nice to know.

The site has changed....

I will give u a M4A4 Dragon king for 290

me only has 270

doo eeettt

Unless someone wants to trade then I cant as its too expensive sadly. Maybe if I trade someone for a 380X or something that's shorter than the mITX board, but otherwise I'm going to keep my 290.

I will give u a M4A4 Dragon king for 290

me only has 270

Uhh I don't play much CSGO...

Update!

Couple changes in the design so far. I forgot to include the power connector as part of the cards overall height, so if I were to trim down the case to the top of the GPU, it would not work as the PCI-E power would have no way of plugging in. So it's going to be about 1.5cm taller (now wider since I'm orienting the case differently) than it originally was, which does add to the size a bit but not by much. I'm actually looking for someone with a 280X Compact from Sapphire or a Gigabyte 970 ITX, or just generally something shorter than my 290, just so I can cut down the case size as much as possible without sacrificing too much performance. I'm okay with a 280X, but that's a minimum for me but it makes up in less thermal output. Message me if you have something to trade, I will not go lower than a 280X in performance, maybe a 380, but the card has to be as short as possible.

In the mean time, I have drilled out all of the rivets holding the chassis in one piece, a total of 16 rivets, and I now have the case down to it's core parts.

Here are some photos so it's not just plain text, this is my 'workshop', quite messy since I had to condense everything in a corner since that big UTV on the left was a recent addition, along with my car and some old appliances:

post-2597-0-43805900-1451253037_thumb.jp

These are the frame rails, which are held in by the previously mentioned rivets:

post-2597-0-79553000-1451253056_thumb.jp

And this is the main component of the case, which was surprisingly made from a single sheet of steel and then bent up to form this, amazing how much those frame rails add to the rigidity, as this is very flimsy by itself:

post-2597-0-82064000-1451253109_thumb.jp

Good job on engineering this thing, Silverstone. So next up I have to cut the front and some of the rear off, right where it bends up 90 degrees. I then have to make a template, cut, bend etc. and attach the new front and rear to make the case shorter. That's it for now, I thought I would get more done today but the weather went from 80F to 40F in about 10 minutes (GG Texas). Stay tuned, lots more to come!

Message me if you have something you'd like to exchange for my wonderful 290! Keep in mind that the point is for the card to be short yet powerful!

Update!

So after drilling out the old rivets, I sat down and drew up the new front portion of the chassis. This just involved a lot of thinking and careful measuring, and eventually it turned into a nice template:

post-2597-0-76831200-1451274338_thumb.jp

I used the GPU and mobo to reference stuff a lot, I think it actually looked kinda cool just like that:

post-2597-0-16163100-1451274463_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-06975000-1451274479_thumb.jp

Then, using a jig saw, a Dremel and several cutting wheels, some files, and a hand drill, I was able to make this, which is the flattened out front portion of the chassis:

post-2597-0-04728800-1451274429_thumb.jp

post-2597-0-82735000-1451274447_thumb.jp

And as you can see everything is lining up pretty well so far:

post-2597-0-12461800-1451274551_thumb.jp

So next up is to make the rear portion as well, which is going to take a bit longer since it's a lot more complex of a part, plus I am discontinuing that single piece you saw earlier, as now the chassis will be five pieces instead of three. After that, I need to devise a bending brake or press to make straighter bends (if you've seen mine hand bent ones, you'll know they need some work) and then bend up the portions, do any more alignment needed, give them a good coat of paint along with the rest of the chassis and rivet it together. So far so good!

And a mini update to the parts list, I will also be shortening the chassis length wise which will dramatically decrease the foot print and overall size of the rig, but of course I can't do this with my 290 (as you can see I already cut a lot for it to fit through on the front chassis component). So, after I sell some monitors I don't use and some other little knick knacks, I will sell my 290 and buy a GTX 970 DCU-Mini from ASUS, a slightly more powerful, yet much cooler running and much shorter card. Can't wait!

Stay tuned, more updates to come!

Also expect a mini review of my new 850 EVO 500GB when it gets here Tuesday December 29th, right after I clean install Windows and everything.

you could always cut it in half length ways and then leave a hole for the GPU to stick out of, making the case smaller and then letting fresh air into your GPU. This will mean you can have a side panel on and not worry whether it gets too hot since the fresh air will help it cool down. If you need a sketch or something then let me know.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

you could always cut it in half length ways and then leave a hole for the GPU to stick out of, making the case smaller and then letting fresh air into your GPU. This will mean you can have a side panel on and not worry whether it gets too hot since the fresh air will help it cool down. If you need a sketch or something then let me know.

I get what you mean but then the GPU would look quite wierd.

I get what you mean but then the GPU would look quite wierd.

Well I dont think so, but then again I can see it clearly in my head, whereas I dont think I explained it properly to you guys.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Small update!

So I have been working on a press brake to bend up all of the components nicely, trouble is I've never made a press brake before and I'm really limited on resources right now. I have made one but it needs a lot of adjustment before I put the actual panel in, as right now it's not a very sharp bend and it bends about 110 degrees in, so way too sharp to be a right angle bend. I do have school starting next week, so expect the project to slow down, even by the middle of this week as I have to finish my art piece for school.

I will still post updates as often as I can, although I'll try and keep them pretty full of content unlike this one. I will post my review of the 850 EVO tomorrow, as I will get quite bit of time with it tomorrow. That's all for now, stay tuned!

@byalexandr What about an External Watercooling Loop?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM