1000W Too Much? Or Go With An 850W?

armycombatvet7

So my power supply took a shit on me not even a week after my 780Ti took a shit on me and I had to buy a 980Ti. Right now I'm running a Rosewill 750W 80+ Bronze power supply that just quit on me and I'm looking at some EVGA power supplies, mainly 80+Gold supplies. I'm looking at the 850W and the 1000W. I'm not going to be doing SLI at all either and my next upgrade is just a new motherboard, cpu, and ram (newer i7, DDR 4 ram, etc). So which one? 850W or 1000W? Does it really matter between the both?

You'll be fine with 750W, honestly. 

Have you taken a look at some SeaSonic or XFX PSU' s? They're some of the best in the business.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

For 980Ti, 550W is enough.

But EVGA G2 550W's price is close to the Ongoing sale of EVGA GQ 750W PSU.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-210gq0750

Consider getting that.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

So my power supply took a shit on me not even a week after my 780Ti took a shit on me and I had to buy a 980Ti. Right now I'm running a Rosewill 750W 80+ Bronze power supply that just quit on me and I'm looking at some EVGA power supplies, mainly 80+Gold supplies. I'm looking at the 850W and the 1000W. I'm not going to be doing SLI at all either and my next upgrade is just a new motherboard, cpu, and ram (newer i7, DDR 4 ram, etc). So which one? 850W or 1000W? Does it really matter between the both?

Make 100% sure that they are the G2, GS, or GQ versions the G1 versions are pretty bad.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Does it really matter between the both?

Hardly. There's no reason to go for the extra 150W from a purely utilitarian perspective, but if you like that power supply better, or you just want bragging rights, buy it. Otherwise, go for the 850W, or even less.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

If you say you are never going for SLI, both would be total overkill.

You can go for 600W even. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have a Silverstone ST-1000G it's RIDIONKULUS OVERWILLY for my PC but i haz no regrests, you won't find a quieter PSU because it's efficient all the way down to under 20% load.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Both are massively overkill for a non-SLI system. 600W is more than enough. Which models are you looking at? EVGA has some pretty meh units, including some of its 80+ gold ones. 

Depends entirely on model, most of them are built by superflower which is on par with seasonic in terms of quality.

even 600w is enough

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

I have a Silverstone ST-1000G it's RIDIONKULUS OVERWILLY for my PC but i haz no regrests, you won't find a quieter PSU because it's efficient all the way down to under 20% load.

"Ridionkulus Overwilly"-LokiFire 2015

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Depends entirely on model, most of them are built by superflower which is on par with seasonic in terms of quality.

Yep, hence why I asked for the model. The G1 series is the one I was thinking of inparticular, as it's not great. 

GS and G2 series are the good ones (Seasonic and SuperFlower, respectively) and the GQ series are FSP (same OEM as G1) but better quality. 

Two 980tis are good on 750W so get a 750W G2

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||