4K Editing on an ultrabook

interesting...

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

So @LinusTech, did CUDA accelerated encoding get better or is the quality still God awful compared to x86?

For those of you wondering, this is how shitty CUDA accelerated export was a few years ago:

CUDA

x86

And here it is on ScreenShotComparison for easier comparison. The file CUDA threw up looks like it was recorded on a cellphone camera from 2002.

If it hasn't gotten much better since then it kind of ruins the point of using an expensive camera and 4K resolution if you're just going to destroy the quality at the encoding stage. At that point you might as well save yourself a lot of time and effort by just using 1080p or 720p.

I get that you by "editing" you meant to work on the video project on laptop and process it on the desktop or in the cloud but that's totally clickbait title once again - If I wanted to work on a laptop just to be tethered with high bandwidth connection to a powerful desktop workstation then why not just simply go for remote desktop of some kind on any type of low end ultrabook?

What's the point here? That would've make sense if you were taking ultrabooks to CES or sth, editing videos out there and sending them to LMG headquarters for final processing and upload but what you've shown is just useless unless you want to make a hipster ultrabook based office with workstation power hidden in the server room.

Anyone know with more detail Linus' workflow is? I'm curious to see how hardware acceleration fairs with my pc in cineform as well, except I'm not entirely sure what settings/preset he uses when transcoding to gopro's cineform. Hopefully there's no extra setup required as well to get hardware acceleration to work in adobe premiere, AE, and media encoder.

Very interesting! I would REALLY like to see more of these kinds of investigations and experiments in the future.

• 5 months later...

Hey, so I’ve just purchased a dell xps 13 with core i7-6500U, integrated Intel 520 graphics and I am using Premiere to edit. And I was wondering after watching this video, is cineform totally dependent on a GPU for GPU acceleration? Or would it be still worthwhile converting to cineform even with integrated graphics. Thanks for your help in advance :)

1 hour ago, RadeonRampage365 said:

Hey, so I’ve just purchased a dell xps 13 with core i7-6500U, integrated Intel 520 graphics and I am using Premiere to edit. And I was wondering after watching this video, is cineform totally dependent on a GPU for GPU acceleration? Or would it be still worthwhile converting to cineform even with integrated graphics. Thanks for your help in advance :)

Its still better w/o a gpu because its easyier to decorde than h264. It also a intraframe codec, so scrubbinig is much faster,.

On 12/23/2015 at 5:20 AM, LAwLz said:

So @LinusTech, did CUDA accelerated encoding get better or is the quality still God awful compared to x86?

For those of you wondering, this is how shitty CUDA accelerated export was a few years ago:

CUDA

x86

And here it is on ScreenShotComparison for easier comparison. The file CUDA threw up looks like it was recorded on a cellphone camera from 2002.

If it hasn't gotten much better since then it kind of ruins the point of using an expensive camera and 4K resolution if you're just going to destroy the quality at the encoding stage. At that point you might as well save yourself a lot of time and effort by just using 1080p or 720p.

Thats using quickysync, not cuda. Cuda doesn't hurt quality as it doesn't do any actual h264 encoding and only does things like effects and scaling.

32 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats using quickysync, not cuda. Cuda doesn't hurt quality as it doesn't do any actual h264 encoding and only does things like effects and scaling.

You can encode with CUDA, and it does hurt quality (as you can see in the images I linked). 

None of the images I posted are encoded with QuickSync. 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You can encode with CUDA, and it does hurt quality (as you can see in the images I linked). 

None of the images I posted are encoded with QuickSync. 

For video editing laptops, i'd say just get a Mac (Pro).... as FinalCut seems retardedly well optimized....

I wish Premiere were anywhere remotely close to being as fast as FinalCut

Has adobe fixed the scaling issues yet?  It's not anywhere near 4K, but I ended up ditching my SP4 because of scaling issues.

On 12/22/2015 at 7:48 PM, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/xYh
NCIX: http://bit.ly/1QGh1f0

We know that super powerful hardware has no issues editing 4K video... But what about super slim "ultrabook" style laptops?

well don't get pissed if your rendering takes a while and you can't scrub videos very good

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

• 1 year later...

Hi.

Ive got this laptop and I am considering getting a 4k monitor or tv to use with it. However i dont know if my model supports 4k @60hz. Its got the mDp and HDMI, but I cant find info about the versions of the two. Anyone knows if it does? 

BTW, its not exactly the same version of laptop, but its got i7-5500u proc and 940m so its almost the same :)