Samsung 850 Pro 256GB vs. Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB

AbstractView

I currently have an 850 Pro which is used for my OS and editing programs... If I were to replace the 850 Pro with the 950 Pro what kind of difference should I expect (OS boot time, application boot time) and what are the differences between the two?

Intel i7-4790 | Gigabyte z97x G7 | MSI 980TI | G.Skill Ripjaw Sniper 32GB 2400Mhz | Segate 2TB SSHD/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

boot time will be slower because the 950 pro uses PCIe instead of SATA

but applications will load faster and so will files

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not worth the money.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Misread lol

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

I own a 950 PRO. It's useless over anything else.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I own a 950 PRO. It's useless over anything else.

Not worth the money.

boot time will be slower because the 950 pro uses PCIe instead of SATA

but applications will load faster and so will files

Well damn... Thought this was the best kind of "new" SSD... Thank you

Intel i7-4790 | Gigabyte z97x G7 | MSI 980TI | G.Skill Ripjaw Sniper 32GB 2400Mhz | Segate 2TB SSHD/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I'm happy with my 950 Pro 512GB, upgraded from an 850 Evo...

Boot times for me were a bit faster, instead of the loading circle going around once I don't even see it anymore.  Now it just goes from BIOS straight to desktop, which I appreciate.  Also have just 2 games on the 950 Pro; Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, and loading times were noticeably faster compared to the 850 Evo.  It may be pricey but count me as not disappointed in the purchase.

I'm happy with my 950 Pro 512GB, upgraded from an 850 Evo...

Boot times for me were a bit faster, instead of the loading circle going around once I don't even see it anymore.  Now it just goes from BIOS straight to desktop, which I appreciate.  Also have just 2 games on the 950 Pro; Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, and loading times were noticeably faster compared to the 850 Evo.  It may be pricey but count me as not disappointed in the purchase.

how did you install windows 10 on the 850 evo

and then how did you install windows 10 on the 950 pro

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

how did you install windows 10 on the 850 evo

and then how did you install windows 10 on the 950 pro

With the 850 Evo, I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 directly to it (guess I should specify, 850 Evo SATA3, not the mSATA version).  For the 950 Pro, I actually thought I'd test out the Samsung Data Migration software since I was going from Samsung to Samsung drive.  Figured worst case scenario it's not that big of a deal to do a fresh install if that messed up somehow, and it worked out perfectly.  It did a direct clone of my drive and I haven't had any issues at all.

Once I determined the clone worked to my satisfaction, I formatted the 850 Evo and that is now housing a number of my other Steam games that I play fairly often.

With the 850 Evo, I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 directly to it (guess I should specify, 850 Evo SATA3, not the mSATA version).  For the 950 Pro, I actually thought I'd test out the Samsung Data Migration software since I was going from Samsung to Samsung drive.  Figured worst case scenario it's not that big of a deal to do a fresh install if that messed up somehow, and it worked out perfectly.  It did a direct clone of my drive and I haven't had any issues at all.

ok well hopefully you dont start having issues a few months from now because thats when most people notice the problems after cloning a drive...

Spoiler

ok well hopefully you dont start having issues a few months from now because thats when most people notice the problems after cloning a drive...

No worries either way; I don't keep anything important on my OS drive that can't be simply re-installed.  I approached it as more of an experiment that didn't have any repercussions if it failed.  I mainly wanted to see how cloning an OS drive would work while booted into said OS, as most clone software I've used makes you boot from separate media if it's an OS drive you're copying.  So far so good.

As far as the switch to an M.2 drive from having only experience with SATA (and IDE back in the day of course), was just about as straight forward as possible.  It detects that my 950 Pro is technically utilizing the bottom PCI-E slot of my mobo, so that's how the PCI-E lane distribution worked out for my particular setup goes I guess.  Otherwise, it detected it as a normal drive that, once the OS was copied to was selectable as a bootable drive like any other drive.