Will a 430w Power Supply be enough?

jacobtiger_2

Hi I'm 14 and just build my first gaming PC with an i5 4460 and a Gigabyte GTX 960 4gb. Given I was on a fairly tight budget and really wanted to put every penny I could towards the two main parts, I kind of skimped on the PSU, ending up getting an EVGA 430w. I was worried it wouldn't be enough so my parents lets me build it before christmas (super excited btw tongue.gif ) and it all worked fine on stock settings. However I was wondering if were I to overclock my graphics card, (non-k cpu so that's not a problem) would I have to upgrade my power supply? 
ANY response at all would be greatly appreciated and in case the rest of the build is of concern, it has a WD caviar blue, kingston v300 120gb SSD, standard samsung optical drive and 8GB hyperX RAM single channel config (hope to buy another stick soon).
Thanks again for taking time to read smile.gif 

If it's a good quality one like a SeaSonic yes. But not really with that EVGA

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

its enough but id get a better quality unit

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Yeah I agree that a better psu is needed since 430w to all that is a bit tight. Your whole system is running at full power constantly which is not good for your psu. If I was you I would get something like a 500w-600w psu as you then have a lot of room to overclock and add extra HDD's and so on later.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

It will probably be fine, however, a PSU isn't something I'd cheap out on.

If your PSU goes it could take a lot of things down with it.

Return that SSD and GPU. Replace with a faster random r/w SSD and a R9-380

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

They perform about the same you mean 390 ?

They perform about the same you mean 390 ?

A 380 beats a 960 by about 5-10%. In the OP's case, that's all he can really afford.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Great part selection

Hi I'm 14 and just build my first gaming PC with an i5 4460 and a Gigabyte GTX 960 4gb. Given I was on a fairly tight budget and really wanted to put every penny I could towards the two main parts, I kind of skimped on the PSU, ending up getting an EVGA 430w. I was worried it wouldn't be enough so my parents lets me build it before christmas (super excited btw tongue.gif ) and it all worked fine on stock settings. However I was wondering if were I to overclock my graphics card, (non-k cpu so that's not a problem) would I have to upgrade my power supply? ANY response at all would be greatly appreciated and in case the rest of the build is of concern, it has a WD caviar blue, kingston v300 120gb SSD, standard samsung optical drive and 8GB hyperX RAM single channel config (hope to buy another stick soon).

Hey Jacob welcome to the forum and congratulation on building your first computer!

I don't think your PSU will have any issues you've picked very efficient parts and your total system load should be pretty low even with an overclock on your graphics card...but in the long run you will want something that can sustain higher loads...but you picked components wisely you did what you had to do in terms of CPU motherboard and memory i assume you have a microATX board with only 2 memory channels so a single stick of 8 is good...that SSD isn't the fastest for sure but i'm sure you got a fair price on it they are pretty cheap anyways which is what matter at the end of the day nice build.

4GB on that 960 is also nice to have nowadays

shit post of the day award.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yeah I agree that a better psu is needed since 430w to all that is a bit tight. Your whole system is running at full power constantly which is not good for your psu. If I was you I would get something like a 500w-600w psu as you then have a lot of room to overclock and add extra HDD's and so on later.

Based off of this calculator: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator, it will not run at 100% wattage the entire time, rather peak at 280-ish watt. 430W is plenty, however the unit he has gotten is a bit on the lower quality side (with good value though) and may not be sufficient for future upgrades to much higher end components: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=431

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

A 380 beats a 960 by about 5-10%. In the OP's case, that's all he can really afford.

Just one thing 960 use less power which is relevant in OP's case 120w vs 190w.

Capture.jpg

i think even 305W is more than the figures you would see from that machine i can hardly pull more than 400W from the wall with a 980ti and an i7-4770K and a ton of shit 3 SSD 2 HDD and lights and fans and shit...

EDIT: yeah, this is way off...i have a meter and i've never seen my machine pull anywhere those figures and i use an XFX XTR 550W PSU which has absolutely no issues running that all overclocked, the PSU does not even get hot it's spitting almost fresh air out the back:

Capture.jpg

^^ Bullshit ^^ ...

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Actually Kingston silently fixed the V300 to avoid acknowledging their mistakes so, although I wish Kingston didn't do that it doesn't need returning.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hi I'm 14 and just build my first gaming PC with an i5 4460 and a Gigabyte GTX 960 4gb. Given I was on a fairly tight budget and really wanted to put every penny I could towards the two main parts, I kind of skimped on the PSU, ending up getting an EVGA 430w. I was worried it wouldn't be enough so my parents lets me build it before christmas (super excited btw tongue.gif ) and it all worked fine on stock settings. However I was wondering if were I to overclock my graphics card, (non-k cpu so that's not a problem) would I have to upgrade my power supply? ANY response at all would be greatly appreciated and in case the rest of the build is of concern, it has a WD caviar blue, kingston v300 120gb SSD, standard samsung optical drive and 8GB hyperX RAM single channel config (hope to buy another stick soon).Thanks again for taking time to read smile.gif 

It's enough wattage but not a great quality PSU. Get something from the PSU whitelist in my signature.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Great part selection

Hey Jacob welcome to the forum and congratulation on building your first computer!

I don't think your PSU will have any issues you've picked very efficient parts and your total system load should be pretty low even with an overclock on your graphics card...but in the long run you will want something that can sustain higher loads...but you picked components wisely you did what you had to do in terms of CPU motherboard and memory i assume you have a microATX board with only 2 memory channels so a single stick of 8 is good...that SSD isn't the fastest for sure but i'm sure you got a fair price on it they are pretty cheap anyways which is what matter at the end of the day nice build.

4GB on that 960 is also nice to have nowadays

shit post of the day award.

Well jeez I wasnt't expecting that many replies that quickly thank you so much! I will definitely avoid all overclocking and as soon as I have enough money get a 600w-700w psu. Ngl some of you guys kind of scared me and I don't want to fry my motherboard or gpu! And yes the mobo is mATX and only has 2 ram slots but once again thanks for the advice :D

Yeah I saw the bad reviews on the speeds of the V300 SSD after I ordered it, I'm not too bothered about it not being super fast just want it to boot windows quickly really? Although when I build the PC a couple of weeks ago, I tested the read and write speeds and read was (sequential)  around 400 and write around 130! That's about normal is it not?

Hi I'm 14 and just build my first gaming PC with an i5 4460 and a Gigabyte GTX 960 4gb. Given I was on a fairly tight budget and really wanted to put every penny I could towards the two main parts, I kind of skimped on the PSU, ending up getting an EVGA 430w. I was worried it wouldn't be enough so my parents lets me build it before christmas (super excited btw tongue.gif ) and it all worked fine on stock settings. However I was wondering if were I to overclock my graphics card, (non-k cpu so that's not a problem) would I have to upgrade my power supply?

ANY response at all would be greatly appreciated and in case the rest of the build is of concern, it has a WD caviar blue, kingston v300 120gb SSD, standard samsung optical drive and 8GB hyperX RAM single channel config (hope to buy another stick soon).

Thanks again for taking time to read smile.gif

Its good enough. Since your components are pretty efficient, you shouldnt reach anywhere near 430w even when overclocked.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Yeah I saw the bad reviews on the speeds of the V300 SSD after I ordered it, I'm not too bothered about it not being super fast just want it to boot windows quickly really? Although when I build the PC a couple of weeks ago, I tested the read and write speeds and read was (sequential)  around 400 and write around 130! That's about normal is it not?

yes it's normal and it's not bad, and for booting windows and programs it will be plenty fast enough.

For the powersupply do your research this time or ask the forum for help there is a powersupply section on the forum...it's not all about wattage some 600 or 700W are very crappy and some 550W like my XFX XTR 550W gold for example are flawless units and can power even the most powerful demanding GPU out there without breaking a sweat! (i run a GTX980ti which is a BEAST of a GPU on mine paired with an overclocked core i7 and the unit does not even get hot)

Good luck! ;)

Based off of this calculator: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator, it will not run at 100% wattage the entire time, rather peak at 280-ish watt. 430W is plenty, however the unit he has gotten is a bit on the lower quality side (with good value though) and may not be sufficient for future upgrades to much higher end components: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=431

Alright then but, I have used the wattage calculator before and they do not work since I had to change my psu after using one on an actual build.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz