Headphones that will wow me?

spwath

Looking at reviews, they seem good, but dont seem like something that im looking for, some said they are more laid back, almost dry.

Do you have an idea what kind of sound sig you want? Not like the K7XX, presumably.

Do you have an idea what kind of sound sig you want? Not like the K7XX, presumably.

Not especially, I have not had enough experience with headphones to tell yet.

But what I do know:

Decent bass, noticiable but not too overpowering, not a basshead.

Detailed sound, want to be able to hear everything.

On other things i have tried certain cymbol crashes sound cringworthy

I think that is the main thing that i dont like about previous things ive tried. Lack of clarity.

Overall i want it to be something good for classic rock type stuff, not that that is a good description.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So, I have tried a few headphones, mostly in the 100$ range, and none of them seem that good. They are fine, but I dont notice extraordinary quality, or great anything. I do prefer speakers, but I am realizing now there is no way my budget can get that good speakers. So what headphones are just really good, and noticably so, for around 300 ish $, give or take. I dont have that money now, but I need to see what I need to save up to get something good.

These would be for music and gaming, open or closed back, probably just open, as I wouldent want to take expensive cans out and about.

Music would be 70's-80's type music, Styx, Boston, ELO, ect...

So i was thinking possibly a planar?

Not too sure

this is really off topic, but I love the santa hat on the fan in your avatar. Made me smile. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

how about a $100 wow?

sony mdr-7506

No. I have the MDR-V6, which is supposed to be less hyped than the MDR-7506, and I'm starting to NOT recommend these headphones. I'm starting to notice that although their bass and midrange is very good, their treble is hyped. When I turn the volume up so that speech is reasonably intelligible, sibilance gets really uncomfortable and it makes my ears ring after a while, like it's damaging my hearing. I have to eq the top end, but I can't eq on every device I own. 

No. I have the MDR-V6, which is supposed to be less hyped than the MDR-7506, and I'm starting to NOT recommend these headphones. I'm starting to notice that although their bass and midrange is very good, their treble is hyped. When I turn the volume up so that speech is reasonably intelligible, sibilance gets really uncomfortable and it makes my ears ring after a while, like it's damaging my hearing. I have to eq the top end, but I can't eq on every device I own. 

Where would the MDR-V55 fit under this category?

I owned them and they sounded just fine, except the swivel broke early January

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Oppo PM-3. Such a sweet little pair of cans.

These look nice, but it seems like a portion of the cost was put into making them premium looking and feeling, not just the sound.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Where would the MDR-V55 fit under this category?

I owned them and they sounded just fine, except the swivel broke early January

I haven't read anything about those headphones, but I think the 7506 and V6 can only be grouped with each other, and that other Sony headphones (such as the 7509) should be judged separately. Especially considering that the V55 is advertised as "Extra bass." 

Forgot about thoes, how would they compare to something like the HE400S?

Looking at reviews, they seem good, but dont seem like something that im looking for, some said they are more laid back, almost dry.

Haven't got a chance to listen to the 400s, but they do look nice.

Only listen to the Mad Dogs briefly from someone cause I don't own one :(

Gotta pay that tuition. 

I can't remember the sound exactly and cannot compare it directly to others, but I know at least that they were a bit "darker sounding" than the NVXs. Not sure about being dry though. 

Planar bass is so nice... I'm so jelly. 

Haven't got a chance to listen to the 400s, but they do look nice.

Only listen to the Mad Dogs briefly from someone cause I don't own one :(

Gotta pay that tuition.

I can't remember the sound exactly and cannot compare it directly to others, but I know at least that they were a bit "darker sounding" than the NVXs. Not sure about being dry though.

Planar bass is so nice... I'm so jelly.

Yeah, i wish there was some place i could try out all these headphones...

Yeah, i wish there was some place i could try out all these headphones...

No Guitar Center or anything around where you live? 

No Guitar Center or anything around where you live?

There is one, but from their website there doesn't seem to be too much. I found another place that has hd600, but not to many other brands.

These look nice, but it seems like a portion of the cost was put into making them premium looking and feeling, not just the sound.

That's a rather bizarre thing to say without listening to them. LOL

Yes, they are rather stylish, but that's not to say they skimp on sound. They do use planar magnetic drivers, after all.

Being "wowed" by headphones is a subjective experience, is it not? You cannot tell someone which headphones will wow them.

Yes, but there's some things that everyone who knows somewhat what's not terrible know are overpriced/overhyped *cough M50x guy*

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Yes, but there's some things that everyone who knows somewhat what's not terrible know are overpriced/overhyped *cough M50x guy*

We'll agree to disagree.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you can wait until after Christmas, the HE-400i will apparently be back down to $300 again. I don't really know what sound signature you prefer, but they have really hit the spot for me. Preferred them over the HE-400S, returned them. Preferred them over the HE-500, returned them. Prefer them over the Fidelio X2, but I am keeping those just for a gaming headset. 

The HD600 or HD650 would be a good option as well, but planars.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Anything that's not Beats.

HiFiMan

Beyerdynamic

Sennheiser

Audeze

Grado

The only Grado that's decent, from a technical perspective is the SR60. Other than that, imo, they are not worth it. (although I did listen to a PS1000 one time, which sounded amazing with AC DC. Seemed like they were very genre specific though, also, that's a $1000 headphone...)

T70

HE400

Fidelio X2

The Beyer T series has way too many issues to make them worth buying.

how about the Orpheus v2 :P.  but any of the hd range of sennhisers should wow you

The ~$300 range Senns are not really headphones that would wow you unless they were the first quality experience you've had with headphones. They sound good with everything, which is pretty much the only thing about them that's 'wow' (I'm referencing the HD600/650.)

The Audi Technica ATH M50x

Its only $150 and it's one of the best headphones i've ever had.

http://goo.gl/acrTiX

The only thing about the M50X that wows me is how forward it is.

You are asking for recommendations. And that's what a couple people are giving you. In their opinion, the headphones are decent.

But they are in a price category that is half of the OPs budget, which isn't particularly helpful, especially when they haven't listened to anything better. 

Being "wowed" by headphones is a subjective experience, is it not? You cannot tell someone which headphones will wow them.

It is indeed, however, I've been posting on here a lot (although I recently took a hiatus from the ridiculousness that can be this sub...) and I feel that I've gotten to know Spwath's tastes in sound well enough to know that he wouldn't be wowed by the M50X. 

Yeah, I see your point. :rolleyes:

What happened to mean SSL? Did the doctor say you had to be nice, or you would have a heart attack or something? xD and <3

I listened to the PM3 recently, and I was certainly wowed. I would buy them if I weren't as into keyboards as I am right now. Maybe if one comes up on ebay for cheap... Anyway, I think that they are worth the asking price, and I would consider them. Also, they isolate surprisingly well, and definitely would be good at doubling as portables, not that that matters all that much. 

If you can wait until after Christmas, the HE-400i will apparently be back down to $300 again. I don't really know what sound signature you prefer, but they have really hit the spot for me. Preferred them over the HE-400S, returned them. Preferred them over the HE-500, returned them. Prefer them over the Fidelio X2, but I am keeping those just for a gaming headset. 

The HD600 or HD650 would be a good option as well, but planars.

That's very interesting! I love my (currently broken :'(...) HE500. I haven't heard anything else by hifiman, besides an HE-6 a long time ago, so I can't comment. 

@spwath, have you considered the Alpha Dogs? I own a pair, and I've been quite happy with them. They are an excellent headphone, although they did take a while to wow me. I just needed to take some time to get used to them. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

The only Grado that's decent, from a technical perspective is the SR60. Other than that, imo, they are not worth it. (although I did listen to a PS1000 one time, which sounded amazing with AC DC. Seemed like they were very genre specific though, also, that's a $1000 headphone...)

The ~$300 range Senns are not really headphones that would wow you unless they were the first quality experience you've had with headphones. They sound good with everything, which is pretty much the only thing about them that's 'wow' (I'm referencing the HD600/650.)

But they are in a price category that is half of the OPs budget, which isn't particularly helpful, especially when they haven't listened to anything better. 

It is indeed, however, I've been posting on here a lot (although I recently took a hiatus from the ridiculousness that can be this sub...) and I feel that I've gotten to know Spwath's tastes in sound well enough to know that he wouldn't be wowed by the M50X. 

What happened to mean SSL? Did the doctor say you had to be nice, or you would have a heart attack or something? xD and <3

I listened to the PM3 recently, and I was certainly wowed. I would buy them if I weren't as into keyboards as I am right now. Maybe if one comes up on ebay for cheap... Anyway, I think that they are worth the asking price, and I would consider them. Also, they isolate surprisingly well, and definitely would be good at doubling as portables, not that that matters all that much. 

That's very interesting! I love my (currently broken :'(...) HE500. I haven't heard anything else by hifiman, besides an HE-6 a long time ago, so I can't comment. 

@spwath, have you considered the Alpha Dogs? I own a pair, and I've been quite happy with them. They are an excellent headphone, although they did take a while to wow me. I just needed to take some time to get used to them. 

i dont know i have loved my hd598. by the way did you ever listen to the Valhalla 2?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i dont know i have loved my hd598. by the way did you ever listen to the Valhalla 2?

No, there wasn't one at that meet :(

But the HD 598 is basically the 558 without some foam, which makes it a not $300 headphone ;)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Running with 4 warning points, it'll be back to full dick mode after Christmas.

(Or maybe not ;))

Running with 4 warning points, it'll be back to full dick mode after Christmas.

(Or maybe not ;))

That's always rough.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I grabbed a pair of the DT-770 - 250 Ohm. I really like them. Minimal EQ required and my laptop can power them just fine. Not to mention, dat velvet is sooooooo plushy and comfy. It is selling for around $150 though.

Kamin mentioned the Alpha Dogs, and I'd have to agree. You can pick up a used pair for around the $300-$400 mark if you look around. I recently bought another pair a few months ago for a Christmas present :D

Give them a little amp love and they sure shine. I wouldn't recommend a cheaper Schiit stack or anything for them though, my personal favorite for the Alpha Dogs outside of the WA7, has been the Project Ember. Dan was using a Schiit Lyr (if I remember right) to power  the Alpha Dogs at the meet I attended when I first found out about them.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

They are 500$, so out of my price range.

They are 500$, so out of my price range.

Though i could find them used.

How do they compare to mad dogs, or he400i or he400s?