should I invest more money on the cpu or the gpu for my gaming pc?

Basically I'll soon be building a gaming pc and i wanted your guys' opinion on what I should invest more money on.

These are the 2 hypothetical builds:

i5-4690k/r9 390x/8GB 1866mhz DDR3 

i5-6600k/r9 390/8GB 2400mhz DDR4

They are almost the exact same price and all I really plan on using this pc for is gaming (I actually also want to use it for some video editing and programming and unity but most of the intensive tasks that the pc is going to be used for is gaming. plus anyone of the two is a huge upgrade from my current pc, which handles these tasks well enough, it just can't handle gaming). Having said that, is it worth it to get a not-as-good graphics card in exchange for a better cpu? As far as I know the i5-6600k is not a ton better than the i5-4690k in gaming (it doesn't make that big of a difference) but having a 6th generation skylake processor could be a good thing for "future-proofing" so that If I ever decide to upgrade my cpu for a better one that is a 6th generation one, I won't necessarily need to upgrade my motherboard or ram. Then again, as far as i'm aware, having a 390x over having a 390 does have a more noticeable impact on your gaming experience. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd probably go for the Skylake and 390 build tbh.

I'd always go for the newer chipset and since the 390X isn't a ginormous performance improvement over the 390 I think the tradeoff in GPU power is worth it.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Go for the 4690K vs the 6600K, even with Skylake, by the time you needed to upgrade, they'd have much, much better stuff out

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Midrange CPU+Highend GPU=Good.

Highend CPU+Midrange GPU=not so much.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Depends, play Minecraft, league of legends or WoW? Better cpu

Depends, play Minecraft, league of legends or WoW? Better cpu

i5-4690k can handle those Games easy.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

The GPU is genrally more important, but I would get the skylake build because its more future proof.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

4690K, but if you want better flexibility in the future, wait for the prices to go down. The 390X is the way to go.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

i5-4690k can handle those Games easy.

I knooooooow, any i5 can handle these easy, but the point is that if these games are priorities he might want to invest in his cpu instead.

I would go i5 4690k and fury if you can get it.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I guess I'm going with the i5-4690k/r9 390x. If by some miracle I can manage an I5-6600k/r9 390x I will, I don't think I can though. Thanks for the help.