[SPOILERS]SW: The force Awakens discussion

Not_Sean

*shrugs* He's a good producer. I like his Twitch Shows where he's not actually a "character" on screen, and just runs things from behind the scenes.

His streaming personality is very abrasive and very much a love or hate kind of thing, I'd say. I really love most of his RollPlay shows (Well... the non-D&D ones anyway), but that's because they have a few excellent GM's and good players.

Some of the other players are freaking horrible though - and I quite dislike his D&D GM, Neil - who coincidentally is also a super annoying RP player when he guests on other shows.

But yeah, as for the Daughter thing. Who knows? It could all be a giant misdirect. Or it could be a case like in Battlestar Galactica with Kara Thrace/Starbuck's father, and the Cylon Number Seven (Daniel), who were given these huge hints and really interesting tidbits and ended up being totally unimportant.

Cant comment much about his RPing and board games, but when he streams games thats when he gets cringey because of how unfocused he is, i just cant stop noticing how he keeps going "huh, wha? what did i miss?" every damn story game. I dont like backseat gaming, but with JP, its almost like you HAVE to hold his hand unless he plays simple games like H1Z1.

Oh yeah i remember that, good show too, aside from all the politic/religion BS that was going on half the show..."sigh"

Well i cant wait for EP 8! :D hnnggg i want it so bad.

I thought the new death star thingy should have lasted.the old one lasted for two episodes I think, and they rekd this one all in one go. It was pretty cool though. I dunno. With Han dead, and Leia probably not going to last a full new episode, there isn't much left in the series unless someone new gets super cool and reks everyone on the Dark Side.

Oh yeah, i agree it blew up WAY to soon, not to mention the Meager defenses for its size.... but then again its possible that wasn't even the main fleet or maybe they focused more on ground troops rather then space ships.

And no the Deathstar lasted 1 movie, and Deathstar MK2 lasted ......1 move`?...unless it poped up half done in EP 5.....i cant remember.

I thought the new death star thingy should have lasted.the old one lasted for two episodes I think, and they rekd this one all in one go. It was pretty cool though. I dunno. With Han dead, and Leia probably not going to last a full new episode, there isn't much left in the series unless someone new gets super cool and reks everyone on the Dark Side.

The old one? No.

Episode 4 - revealed the Death Star - was destroyed at the end of the movie.

Episode 5 - no Death Star

Episode 6 - revealed Death Star Mk2 - was destroyed at the end of the movie.

You could argue that Episode 2/3 revealed the Death Star Mk1, but that's incorrect. If you examine the blueprints they show onscreen, it doesn't match the finalized shape/design of the Death Star Mk1, so it was obviously a prototype, not the actual original Death Star.

No Death Star has ever survived more than one movie before.

Though they certainly could have made it "survive - yet disabled" the attack, for the next movies, but *shrugs*, As long as we don't see any more giant spacestation superweapons (Seriously, no Death Star Mk4 please), then I'm happy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Cant comment much about his RPing and board games, but when he streams games thats when he gets cringey because of how unfocused he is, i just cant stop noticing how he keeps going "huh, wha? what did i miss?" every damn story game. I dont like backseat gaming, but with JP, its almost like you HAVE to hold his hand unless he plays simple games like H1Z1.

Oh yeah i remember that, good show too, aside from all the politic/religion BS that was going on half the show..."sigh"

Well i cant wait for EP 8! :D hnnggg i want it so bad.

Yeah I don't watch his LP's. I can't stand watching Let's Play's where the Streamer keeps missing stuff that's obviously right in front of them, can't figure out simple puzzles, etc, so I don't want many LP's.

I don't blame them though, since when you are streaming an LP, it's much more taxing then simply sitting down and playing a game. You're simultaneously producing a show, playing a game, and acting an on-screen performance, all at once. That's a lot to handle. and makes gamers miss things they would otherwise catch playing by themselves.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah I don't watch his LP's. I can't stand watching Let's Play's where the Streamer keeps missing stuff that's obviously right in front of them, can't figure out simple puzzles, etc, so I don't want many LP's.

I don't blame them though, since when you are streaming an LP, it's much more taxing then simply sitting down and playing a game. You're simultaneously producing a show, playing a game, and acting an on-screen performance, all at once. That's a lot to handle. and makes gamers miss things they would otherwise catch playing by themselves.

Well that depends on the person really, i dont know if "Let´s plays" is the correct term in this case, take Luke or Strippin for example, when i watch them it doesnt feel like a "Lets play" but more like just a casual moment with a friend, its more like they are just playing a game.

Most of them dont "act" and are just themselves, but with JP...even during a cut scene its like he isnt even looking sometimes and then just asks "so what just happened"  mind you he doesn't talk over cut scenes and rarely interacts with chat during one, so thats nice...but i dont even know how he pull off not paying attention. 

Hmm anyways lets not derail the thread :P

Han's character arc was pretty much done in the original trilogy: from a lowlife smuggler to rebel hero. He was done. Nothing more to tell. Luke and Leia still had stories to tell by the time Return of the Jedi ended: Luke resurrecting the Jedi order and Leia turning into a great political leader.

Han Solo should have died in ep. 6

https://medium.com/@tonyszhou/the-force-awakens-is-a-deeply-broken-film-b-c-one-character-shouldn-t-be-there-spoilers-b31e33a44ee6#.kkublxddy

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I thought there could have been a few more aliens in the main cast... Like properly developed aliens with cultures and ways of thinking different to that of the humans.

Maybe I'm expecting too much 'Trek in my 'Wars. 

It's easy to develop a fantasy culture when you have 18 hours per season.  When you have 2.25 hrs, it's a bit of a challenge to get character development, let alone a culture.

It's easy to develop a fantasy culture when you have 18 hours per season.  When you have 2.25 hrs, it's a bit of a challenge to get character development, let alone a culture.

Yeah, they had some aliens, and we know that Ackbar, for example, is at least somewhat developed. Hopefully he'll get more screen time in the next couple movies. And of course, Chewbacca is a pretty well developed character, with a lot of subtle nuances.

And Maz Kanata was a very interesting alien character. I think they simply lacked enough screen time to have any more Alien characters or develop them anymore then they got.

I loved the entire movie, so much I've bought tickets to see it again. 

loved the nods to the original trilogy and all the PHYSICAL effects, the sheer quality of the production in this movie compared to all three prequels is just astonishing.

so stoked for the next two. 

p.s. personally I like the idea of the Mega Death Star, 

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

I agree that some scenes were pretty weak early on, but acting with so much CGI must be tough. "Now talk to the droid" "What droid?" "Use your imagination, we're putting it, the background, your outfit and the sun in in post". Not that I think CGI is all bad, it can make for some visually stunning scenes, but it must be tough for actors to act with a thing that's not there.

The thing is that the droid was actually there. And most of the stuff you see. Abrams really went all out with the practical effects in the movie.

The Jakku set was pretty amazing. 

db6e6_3_B88_OnSet.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

The thing is that the droid was actually there. And most of the stuff you see. Abrams really went all out with the practical effects in the movie.

The Jakku set was pretty amazing. 

I agree, the whole film had such a better feel to it, it actually felt like a Star Wars movie, the sets of pretty much all the scenes were captivating and immersive

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

I agree, the whole film had such a better feel to it, it actually felt like a Star Wars movie, the sets of pretty much all the scenes were captivating and immersive

And a small thing that made a ton of difference was that the prop sabres actually lit up. Giving them a bit more realism. 

Instead of stuff like this where the light of obi wan's sabre is somehow contained within the lightsabre itself. 

maxresdefault.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

So. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm a big sci-fi fan and I appreciate big budget sci-fi for what it is.

I thought the original trilogy was pretty good, especially for the time period it was made. Even today on 1080p remasters it looks really good. The story is okay. Very basic, very minimal character development.

I thought the prequel trilogy was unwatchable trash. Even teenage me wanted to walk out of the theater during Attack of the Clones. That is seriously the only movie in my life I can think of that reaction while in a theater.

So there's some context...

I thought The Force Awakens was the best Star Wars movie to date. Not perfect, but clearly a labour of love. The characters were more interesting, more diverse. The same mythological Star Wars feel was there. The decision to make the villain tragic by pulling a reversal of a Dark Side being "seduced" by Light Side is clever. The mix of practical and CG effects was masterful. They captured the feel, the sound. Abrams is clearly suited better to the Star Wars universe versus the Star Trek universe.

My biggest gripe were the lightsaber fights. Either Finn nor Rey had any lightsaber training at all, but they both were able to stand up to Kylo Ren, who has presumably received quite a bit of training. I mean, he's a Knight after all... I'll allow that Kylo was moderately injured during the fight to start, but that probably shouldn't have made the difference. Now someone might come along with a counter of "THE FORCE" or some crap, but I don't buy that. It might apply somewhat to Rey (I don't know if Finn is Force-sensitive, he may be, and that would be cool.. Jedi Time with Finn and Rey!), but people with training should just plain beat people with NO, I repeat, NO training at all.

Part of my gripe is seeded by my preference for harder sci-fi, I'll admit. Having everything boil down to magic bacteria always bothered me. I appreciated Poe Dameron the most as a character because he just seems like a very skilled pilot who trained hard and fuckin' earned it, no Force necessary (I hope?). Another thing I kept wondering throughout the film was the socio-economical/political aspect, which I know, tread carefully on the sins of the prequel triliogy. But I kept wondering to myself... Didn't the Death Stars bankrupt the Empire? How does a shattered Empire turned First Order find the resources to build a Super-Duper-Death-Star without anyone finding out? Why is the Rebellion turned Resistance still so weak after 30 years? Suffice to say, from a worldbuilding point of view, I had a lot of unanswered questions.

But ok. The film was good fun. I had fun. I'll let it be fun.

Also, my FAVOURITE easter egg were the two main stars of The Raid movies showing up as space bandits to kill Han. Awesome. My favourite scene besides all the flashy space battle laser sword shit.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD