is it possible to use a mini fridge to cool my Gaming laptop?

So i recently purchased a Gigabyte gaming laptop for Mechanical engineering as well as gaming.  I have a old mini fridge with the back missing. I am curious if it is possible to use its cooling capabilities for my laptop while i am at my desk gaming.

condensation will kill your laptop

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Linus did a video on this already. Refrigerators are not built to handle a constant flow of heat. 

It would work, but for how long is the question O_o

Might add this later...

It would work, but for how long is the question O_o

however long it takes the fridge to heat up lol because the fridge want be able to keep up with the heat

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

1) it would barely lower temps since it's cooling capacity is no where near the hundreds of watts a gaming laptop uses

2) unless you put the entire laptop inside the fridge (where you wouldnt be able to use it very well) condensation will form on the internal components and either cause corrosion or short it

either way the laptop dies

3) there are far better options, such as air conditioning your entire room so that ambient temperature is lower, or using a cooling pad with fans underneath your laptop

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Anything is possible.

Highly not recommended, refrigerators condensers are not designed to cool such a load. It will overheat and die on you.

Besides how do you plan on using a fridge to cool a laptop?

See video below;

Better off doing something like this or similar to:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

With anything significant, I'd say no. I wonder (personally) how an AC unit would handle cooling a computer as it seems much more up to the task.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Check the sticker on the back and look for how many watts the thing uses.  Cooling capacity is something like 1.5x power consumption for water chillers which are refrigeration based.  Although with an air based refrigerator there's probably a lot of heat loss.

I would say waste of time just estimating.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Ok thanks fro the help now what about the cool master x-slim or the x3 note pal. Please keep in mind that this is a 14 inch laptop.