SSDs become non bootable after RAID

BelgiumCastGijs

Hey everyone,

I have 2 samsung 850 evo 250GB ssds which both work fine, both can be selected as boot devices. But after I setup a RAID 0 on them, they suddenly aren't bootable anymore.

I have an X99-DELUXE motherboard from asus, UEFI BIOS is up to dat, storage mode is on RAID, both ssds are on Sata 6G ports on the same controller. I also tried to format them, it cleared everything but the error remains.

Any ideas why it doesn't work?

thanks in advance!

-Gijs

Uhm.. Don't ever put OS on a RAID array.

Why not? I have just about everything backed up on my NAS anyway... I really don't see the problem?

You just quite possibly wiped both devices. What you need to do now is re-install your OS on the new volume

What one tends to do is clone your SSD to an ext HDD then clone back after the raid.

So you had Windows installed previously and then moved from AHCI mode to RAID (creating the array)? If so you have lost all the data on the disks and need to reinstall Windows on the new array.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You just quite possibly wiped both devices. What you need to do now is re-install your OS on the new volume

What one tends to do is clone your SSD to an ext HDD then clone back after the raid.

So I should install the OS on one of the SSDs and them clone it to my HDD, get the RAID ready and then copy it back to the RAID?

So you had Windows installed previously and then moved from AHCI mode to RAID (creating the array)? If so you have lost all the data on the disks and need to reinstall Windows on the new array.

I had nothing installed on the SSDs, it was a fresh build ;-) no data loss, I have a bootable media on a usb stick to install windows with.

Why not? I have just about everything backed up on my NAS anyway... I really don't see the problem?

Because if one fails (and they eventually will) you'd lose everything (with RAID 0). Also, it will slow down over time, look at Linus and his 8 SDD RAID array booting in... what was it? 45 secs? 1 min+?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Uhm.. Don't ever put OS on a RAID array.

you can if it's hardware RAID. matter of fact it is standard industry practice to RAID 1 the OS to avoid losing it.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

I had nothing installed on the SSDs, it was a fresh build ;-) no data loss, I have a bootable media on a usb stick to install windows with.

So now you just need to Install Windows and you will be good to go! :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I thought your initial problem was you cloned a AHCI install to the raid0, BSOD cos AHCI would fail the boot.

To which you boot into Windows, De-classify AHCI in the registry and then it will be fine to clone and use.

Also.....guys seriously.. it's not hard to clone a raid0 to another drive and IF IT FAILS, restore it in less than an hour, it's childsplay.

Let alone setting up a regular session to do the same thing.

Acting like its impossibru.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Because if one fails (and they eventually will) you'd lose everything (with RAID 0). Also, it will slow down over time, look at Linus and his 8 SDD RAID array booting in... what was it? 45 secs? 1 min+?

I already mentioned that I'm not really worried about data loss, I have everything backed up... but I kindof need some fast storage for video production etc.

So now you just need to Install Windows and you will be good to go! :)

I can't install windows on the RAID volume, it is detected but it states that the hardware can't function as a bootable device... really weird.

Guys seriously.. it's not fucking hard to clone a raid0 to another drive and IF IT FAILS, restore it in less than an hour.

Let alone setting up a regular session to do the same thing.

Acting like its impossibru.

Shhhh that would involve logic, let's just scare people instead.

If you use a good, reliable SSD, with consistent performance then it will be fine. Ex/ Intel 730.

Also backups are easy and warranties exist.

is it software/fakeraid??

ESXi SysAdmin

I can't install windows on the RAID volume, it is detected but it states that the hardware can't function as a bootable device... really weird.

Does the Windows install pick up the raid volume in the installation? If not you will need to load the RAID driver.

Does the Windows install pick up the raid volume in the installation? If not you will need to load the RAID driver.

It detects the RAID volume, it just fails to install it on there... ps: I tested both of the drives and they both work just fine

Shhhh that would involve logic, let's just scare people instead.

If you use a good, reliable SSD, with consistent performance then it will be fine. Ex/ Intel 730.

Also backups are easy and warranties exist.

Samsung 850 EVOs are reliable enough ;-) Like I stated before, I make daily backups to my NAS

Using a USB stick I had the same exact message, YET... Using a DVD (cloned from the USB as well lol) works fine to install on that same drive without changing anything.

WINDOWS BEING SILLY

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I made a raid in the UEFI BIOS

hmm...... it is possible that windows does not recognize this as a real RAID array

ESXi SysAdmin

Using a USB stick I had the same exact message, YET... Using a DVD (cloned from the USB as well lol) works fine on that same drive though..

WINDOWS BEING SILLY

Intresting... I got it to install it on the RAID array one, but then once the installation completed, it kept booting into an error screen...

It detects the RAID volume, it just fails to install it on there... ps: I tested both of the drives and they both work just fine

Right while in the Windows Install press Shift+F10 (should bring up a command prompt).

From there type inl;

Diskpart

list disk

select disk # (the disk you want)

clean

format fs=ntfs quick

create part pri

exit

exit

now advance to the disk selection and see if it installs now.

Samsung 850 EVOs are reliable enough ;-) Like I stated before, I make daily backups to my NAS

Exactly. I was agreeing with you. And disagreeing with @TheRandomness