Shaw Communications to acquire Wind Mobile

Sam Z Man
Go to solution Solved by Deletive,

shaw.jpg

Shaw Communications Inc. is finally poised to enter the wireless business

Shaw will acquire 100% of the shares of WIND‟s parent company, Mid-Bowline Group Corp., by plan of arrangement, for an enterprise value of approximately $1.6 billion based on quarterly financial statements as of September 30, 2015. 

The deal still requires approval from the federal government and the competition Bureau, expecting to close during the third quarter of the fiscal 2016, Also adding that the company will now be able to match it's main rival Telus Corp. Mr shaw Also mentions improvements to coverage and upgrades to LTE as well as...

• Enhances Shaw’s product offering by expanding mobile service capabilities and enabling development of a best-in-class converged wireline and wireless network
  • Unique opportunity to acquire rapidly growing wireless business together with 50 MHz of spectrum in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia
  • Acquisition of WIND represents the most efficient operating and financial entry point into the Canadian wireless landscape
  • Time to market and integration will be greatly enhanced via an established operating business and experienced management team

Opinion: I think this is great news considering Shaw is a huge Telecommunications giant and can offer extra funding for spectrum bidding, I am a customer with both so I hope Wind service will improve over the next few years after the sale 

Sources: 
https://newsroom.shaw.ca/corporate/newsroom/news/2015-12-16-Shaw-Communications-Inc-to-Acquire-WIND-Mobile-Corp/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/shaw-buying-wind-mobile-for-16-billion/article27791628/

Poor quality OP, but interesting topic. Shaw wanted to launch their own cell network a while ago but didn't carry out their plans, maybe that'll change, or maybe they can help make Wind actually usable for once.

Hopefully they dont put in Shaw style bandwith caps

also cell + internet combos here I come

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

rip wind

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

idek what any of them are but wow!

Yea, just imagine if there was some meat to the OP to maybe explain.

As a WIND user myself I'm not happy.  The hope was to finally get worthwhile mobile service that wasn't outright ripping off Canadians.  We've got some of the most expensive mobile and internet because of the big telcos oligopolies, and wind was a shot at change. 

Shaw is a cable company like Rogers(Canada) or comcast & Time Warner in the US.  Shaw operates anywhere Rogers isn't in, cause they don't want to compete, and actually collaborate on things (ie Shomi) to push back their mutual adversaries and are bed buddies in everyones eyes other than the CRTC.

WIND was installing their own towers in select areas because Bell and Rogers would take WIND to the cleaners with fees.  in 6 years WIND got 940,000 subscribers in a country whos population is 35'000'000.  Not a small amount, a lot of people here hate, HATE the big telcos.  That said, WIND's data almost never worked worth a shit for me.  I have every expectation that shaw is not going to improve value, but will instead milk it out.

shaw.jpg

Shaw Communications Inc. is finally poised to enter the wireless business

Shaw will acquire 100% of the shares of WIND‟s parent company, Mid-Bowline Group Corp., by plan of arrangement, for an enterprise value of approximately $1.6 billion based on quarterly financial statements as of September 30, 2015. 

The deal still requires approval from the federal government and the competition Bureau, expecting to close during the third quarter of the fiscal 2016, Also adding that the company will now be able to match it's main rival Telus Corp. Mr shaw Also mentions improvements to coverage and upgrades to LTE as well as...

• Enhances Shaw’s product offering by expanding mobile service capabilities and enabling development of a best-in-class converged wireline and wireless network
  • Unique opportunity to acquire rapidly growing wireless business together with 50 MHz of spectrum in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia
  • Acquisition of WIND represents the most efficient operating and financial entry point into the Canadian wireless landscape
  • Time to market and integration will be greatly enhanced via an established operating business and experienced management team

Opinion: I think this is great news considering Shaw is a huge Telecommunications giant and can offer extra funding for spectrum bidding, I am a customer with both so I hope Wind service will improve over the next few years after the sale 

Sources: 
https://newsroom.shaw.ca/corporate/newsroom/news/2015-12-16-Shaw-Communications-Inc-to-Acquire-WIND-Mobile-Corp/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/shaw-buying-wind-mobile-for-16-billion/article27791628/

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Canada needs more competition, period. Hopefully this changes things.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I got 3 out of the 5, is that not relevant enough?

This is fairly major news for anyone in western Canada. Also the topic itself is quite self explanatory, not much "unique input" to give, there really is only general information available at this point and I'd rather not speculate and spread rumors. This was literally just announced today.

*sigh*

Why do people feel the need to argue with the Mods? The rules and guidelines are very clear, and are posted for all to see. No, 3 out of 5 is not enough. 5 out of 5 is required for every news post. See this repost of the same topic for an idea of a better post on the same news:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/507016-shaw-communications-to-acquire-wind-mobile/

On Topic:

Ehhh.... I'm incredibly conflicted about this. Mostly because it can go either way. WIND has a great business model. I like their packages. However, their coverage is spotty at best, lacks LTE - They're on HSPA+, which is 3G (Although many advertise this, incorrectly, as "4G"), and furthermore, their device selection is lacking - though most newer devices are compatible if you want to bring your own device (BYOD).

I would love it if Shaw simply gave them huge cash injections, and let them go crazy, while keeping the same "unlimited everything" business model.

But I fear. I fear they'll simply turn into a carbon copy of the three big Mobile Carriers - Telus, Bell, and Rogers.

I would switch to WIND immediately if they had LTE coverage in my city and the city I work in (they are right beside each other).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So IPB you've really broken this one with the whole thread merge thing..

So IPB you've really broken this one with the whole thread merge thing..

A little excitement to mix up your day xD

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

WIND mobile with better services here it comes!!!!!!

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

I have Wind and love the price, but their connectivity is terrible. It just doesn't work at all in some places and it's embarrassing not being able to use your phone at all times. Hopefully Shaw can improve the service.

Hopefully they dont put in Shaw style bandwith caps

also cell + internet combos here I come

Have you actually had Shaw shut off/throttle your connection?? Cause I've gone over my cap almost everything month(one month we hit 1TB when our plan is 450GB) and it hasn't affected my service in the slightest. Just curious because I have never heard of Shaw enforcing those caps.

Have you actually had Shaw shut off/throttle your connection?? Cause I've gone over my cap almost everything month(one month we hit 1TB when our plan is 450GB) and it hasn't affected my service in the slightest. Just curious because I have never heard of Shaw enforcing those caps.

bandwidth as in speed. I have never had shaw enforce data caps

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

As a wind user

FUCK

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Generally Shaw doesn't charge users who go over, but on occasion they may temporarily suspend your service if you are a repeat offender that hasn't upgraded to a higher bandwidth allotment.

It's a very flexible internal rule though, so it's not consistent with every customer.

So thats were all those fee hikes came from. Good to know that they were "upgrading" their infrastructure. Fucking canadian isp's

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz