"Squad" Early Access Release - 50 vs 50 Multiplayer FPS

EChondo

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/

Announcement: http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=68

FAQ: http://joinsquad.com/faq

Kickstarter(ended June 26): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offworldindustries/squad/description

Official Forums: http://forums.joinsquad.com/

Sub-Reddit for Game Discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/

Sub-Reddit for Group Recruitment: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquadUp

Steam Discussions Forum: http://steamcommunity.com/app/393380/discussions/

Squad is an in-development tactical first person shooter built around teamwork and cooperation. It seeks to bridge the rather large gap between arcade shooter and military sim, and is based in large part on the ideas introduced by our predecessor, the Project Reality modification for Battlefield 2.

I've been following this game on and off since it's announcement months ago. It's based off of UE4 and it's been showing real progress these past couple of months. It's set to release on Steam as an Early Access game on Dec 15th(so in a few hours) *it is now released.. They are supposedly asking $40 USD, no information on "Special Editions" or anything of the sort. They plan to bring the game out of Early Access in late 2016, so in a year from now.

Early Access announcement video;

Recent Gameplay from a Kickstarter Backer(1 hour long);

One of the Alpha testers was able to post a review on Steam that you can read, he/she posted a FAQ section in their review that answers a lot of questions;

How much will it cost? 
$40 USD

Will I be able to run the game? 
I get 70 FPS with GTX 980, 16GB RAM, i7-4790k, Windows 10 (On highest possible settings)

When will it come out?
December 15th 2015, Early Acess 

How do you already have the game?
You had to support the kickstarter

Are there community servers?
Yes

How big are servers?
They can go up to 100 players

Is this game more like BF or COD?
Neither I would say sorta like ARMA though, but if I had to pick BF

Is there Hitscan?
No 

Accuracy of the guns?
Think what it would be like shooting a AK or M4 on full... you are not gonna hit anything at a distance

How is the bullet drop?
Your bullets are start gonna drop at about 250 meters with your M4 and AK

Do the bullets just go straight?
No they will drop and if a target is running you have to lag shot them (lead your aim)

Is there a VAC ban system?
Yes

How many maps are there?
8 (subject to change)

What are the voice commands?
V: Local Chat (Anyone near you can hear you) 
B: Squad Chat (Only sqaud members can hear you, over a radio so can be anywhere)
G: Command Chat (Chat used for Squad and Cell Leaders to speak to each other)

What weapons are there?
Weapons are kit based, they are cutom to that kit you pick. Refer to weapons list in this review

Is there team auto balance?
No

Is there base building?
Yes

What engine are you using?
Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4

Will there be vehicles?
Yes, but not at the moment

What size will the maps be?
At the moment 1-2km in the future up to 8km

What time period will Squad be set in?
The current modern day environment. This includes the near past and near future

Are there offical servers?
Yes, refer to menu screenshot for a small list of servers.

How big is a squad?
A squad can be up to 9 troops

Is there a limit on kits?
Yes, it all is based on your sqaud size though

Can I make my own squad?
Yes, the system works like BF sqaud system, create your own and name it if you wish.

Is there a training mode?
Yes, a CQB (Close Quater Combat) area, and a range.

To me it sounds great, though I think $40 is a bit much and I don't buy Early Access games, but this one is tempting to me if it's good right out of the gate. 50 vs 50 sounds very fun and I love big battles like that, so I'm hoping this game does great in both popularity and in development.

Some images the reviewer posted(Server browser and controls);
bqlLeUr.jpg
5XeJjfD.png

And just in case some might get the wrong impression on why I posted this thread. This thread is to merely make all of you aware of a game that has a lot of potential and a place to discuss the game when it releases for first impressions.

*Edit 1, added links to the top for some sub-Reddits for the game if you use Reddit. Also added a link to the official forums if you'd rather use that. Also added a direct link to the Steam discussion forums if you prefer to use that.

*Edit 2, added a link to some YouTube gameplay, hour long video. Thanks Bluedrake42 for the video.

*Edit 3, game is now released. $40 USD, no extra buy-ins or special editions available.

The more I hear about this game, the more I want to play it.

Hopefully I get my chance. Thanks for sharing the info! :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Been watching it from a distance. Very interesting.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Hopefully they find a way to make the teamwork... work?

inb4 cyka blyat.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

inb4 cyka blyat.

GG bro

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Ingame server selection with a modern true battlefield game.

I'm in.

I would relate it closer to Arma, maybe 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm in.

Honestly support for community servers alone has put it on my list. Everyone game with it still has people playing(AFAIK). I still play Halo CE every now and then, not a lot of players, but enough to get a server or two full and play some zombies or CTF.

You're welcome!

Hopefully they find a way to make the teamwork... work?

inb4 cyka blyat.

Good point, the community around this game already feels like an older crowd is behind it, so finding a good clan/guild to join and play with will be an easy thing probably.

Good point, the community around this game already feels like an older crowd is behind it, so finding a good clan/guild to join and play with will be an easy thing probably.

That's how a lot of games start, but then it starts to attract the 'bad' audience... Same thing happened with World of Tanks and War Thunder.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I would relate it closer to Arma, maybe 

I like dayZ. Does that count? :P

I like dayZ. Does that count? :P

It's like Arma, but with cardio and beans 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm in.

Been watching it from a distance. Very interesting.

The game just released on Steam. It's indeed 40 USD, thought I'd let you guys know since you all seemed to take an interest in it here on this thread.

The game just released on Steam. It's indeed 40 USD, thought I'd let you guys know since you all seemed to take an interest in it here on this thread.

What? Really?! Wow...I thought it wasn't going to release until 2016!

Thanks again for the info! Looks like I gotta find some extra spending munnies sooner than I thought. haha

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

What? Really?! Wow...I thought it wasn't going to release until 2016!

The FULL release is late 2016, but the Early Access release is right now. Sorry if I didn't word it right in my OP.

I saw on the Steam page that the recommended specs had DX12 in it, does that mean it currently has DX12, or just plans on adding it?

If anyone buys in and plays, I'd be interested in reading what you have to say. :)

I saw on the Steam page that the recommended specs had DX12 in it, does that mean it currently has DX12, or just plans on adding it?

I just bit the bullet and bought it. It's running in DX11 for me, and I have a i7-3770 and a R9 390. So I'm assuming they have plans to add it.

*Edit, found that you can use the "-DX12" line argument when launching the game and it will run in DX12 mode that way, but it isn't supported right now. Supposedly the UE4 engine doesn't fully support DX12 yet, but when it does Squad will be updated to support it.

Is there an Australian server?

Does it support 21:9 Ultra widescreen?

This looks like the kind of fps I was after - battlefieldesque with less random chaos

Actually looks somewhere between Insurgency and DayZ

Fractal Design Core 2500 i7 4770k GA-Z87X-UD5H Cooler Master Hyper D92 Kingston HyperX 8GB  Powercolor r9 390 PCS+ Antec HCG-620M 

Is there an Australian server?

Does it support 21:9 Ultra widescreen?

This looks like the kind of fps I was after - battlefieldesque with less random chaos

Actually looks somewhere between Insurgency and DayZ

Yes there are Australian servers, I can't find the post from the devs, but they said there are multiple in Sydney and one or two in Perth, I also found this server browser you can view in your web browser: http://squad.rocks/

As for Ultrawide support, this guy on Reddit is having issues where his game looks 1920x1080 stretched, but someone in the comments claims his 3440x1440 looks native.

After playing for a bit I'd say it's more DayZ than Insurgency, but it's more of a middle ground between ARMA and Battlefield.

This looks really interesting, although, if it cant support multi-screen properly, its a deal breaker for me

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

I just bought it, looking forward to playing it. Reviews seem to be really good so far.

After my first game which lasted about 45mins, first impressions this game is super fun! Right off the bat I selected a squad and each member was actively communicating. Squad leader was making plans trying to flank the Russian compound, all while communicating with other squads. This game is really immersive and I lost track of time. It's definitely not your BF or COD type of game. This is a slow paced and thought inducing game.

Performance wise I didn't really have any issues, just a few random lag spikes I encountered.

Edited by TDaytona675