Anti static question (don't kill me pls)

Go to solution Solved by Jykos,

screw in one of the mounting screws for the back

YES!

I measured the resistance across two separate screws and found there was minimal resistance.

The screws ARE in contact with the metal and aren't insulated.

It will likely be ok, but it never hurts to be safe. Just touch your case or psu every now and then to discharge the static if there is any.

Ehh.... It's not recommended, though as long as you don't touch any of the metal contact points of your CPU or anything like that, you should be fine.

Just be sure to have your PSU plugged in and off, then just touch it every few minutes or after moving around on the carpet.

just touch the psu. there. done.

So because of this:

Holy shit, fuck me in the  ;)

I just put a multimeter to my black Antec PSU, its resistance across two points on the surface is always 1.

So its not conductive! (well the metal inside is but the paint insulates it.)

You should do this:

screw in one of the mounting screws for the back

And use the screw as your ground. (for regularly touching or for strap attaching whatever floats your boat)

Edit: I just checked the resistance between a PSU screw and the ground pin on the wall connector and found minimal resistance (meaning the screw is grounded). The above recommendation is sound.

Will I be fine on carpet when replacing my CPU and PSU?

P.S. Don't give me "HURRRR DEEE DURRR I BUILD MY PCS ON CARPET ALWAYS" because I don't give a shit.

I would still occasionally touch something that's grounded.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I do it all the time

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

It will likely be ok, but it never hurts to be safe. Just touch your case or psu every now and then to discharge the static if there is any.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Ehh.... It's not recommended, though as long as you don't touch any of the metal contact points of your CPU or anything like that, you should be fine.

Just be sure to have your PSU plugged in and off, then just touch it every few minutes or after moving around on the carpet.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

As long as you're not doing the running man on the carpet, you should be fine. Just make sure to touch ground yourself often. I'd advise not build on carpet if it can be avoided, though. 

P.S. Don't give me "HURRRR DEEE DURRR I BUILD MY PCS ON CARPET ALWAYS" because I don't give a shit.

Do you notice a bunch of static in your house? If no then you are fine, if yes then constantly ground yourself.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Do you notice a bunch of static in your house? If no then you are fine, if yes then constantly ground yourself.

Static electricity can affect electronics, even if you can't feel it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

And it's not usually just "there" hanging around anyway.  It can be generated by moving around in certain ways, like shuffling your feet on the carpet with socks on.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just ground yourself periodically and try to rub against the carpet as little as possible.

HURRRR DEEE DURRR I BUILD MY PCS ON CARPET ALWAYS!!!!!11!!1!! /s

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

And it's not usually just "there" hanging around anyway.  It can be generated by moving around in certain ways, like shuffling your feet on the carpet with socks on.

Indeed.

ill be honest and say my first build was completely on carpet, but i grounded myself constantly.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Yeah I've never given much thought to my work location.  Sometimes the case is set down on the carpet with me.  Sometimes it's on the bed.  sometimes on a table.  Just make sure it's unplugged and you & the case are properly grounded.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

yea just ground yourself EX: touch le case/psu aloot

Make sure the PSU is plugged in, not turned on but just plugged in to the wall. This will actually let it be an efective ground.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

Make sure the PSU is plugged in, not turned on but just plugged in to the wall. This will actually let it be a ground.

yeah that ^ forgot to mention it lol @NeatSquidYT

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Most consumer computer hardware can withstand a little bit of static as they were designed to be assembled in improper environments("consumers are idiots"), but its when you go Zeus on the board is when things get damaged.

Most consumer computer hardware can withstand a little bit of static as they were designed to be assembled in improper environments("consumers are idiots"), but its when you go Zeus on the board is when things get damaged.

I didn't say they couldn't withstand a little bit of static electricity, but I bet the limit is not at where humans start to feel it. Static electricity affects all electronics.

It will likely be fine

i build without clothes

Your post was edited to this, I wonder what it said before :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It should be fine, but I killed my Ethernet port by working on the carpet. Just be careful

You are on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know.

Just touch the Heater in your Room before you start and you will be fine.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO