Anti static question (don't kill me pls)

Go to solution Solved by Jykos,

screw in one of the mounting screws for the back

YES!

I measured the resistance across two separate screws and found there was minimal resistance.

The screws ARE in contact with the metal and aren't insulated.

It will likely be ok, but it never hurts to be safe. Just touch your case or psu every now and then to discharge the static if there is any.

Ehh.... It's not recommended, though as long as you don't touch any of the metal contact points of your CPU or anything like that, you should be fine.

Just be sure to have your PSU plugged in and off, then just touch it every few minutes or after moving around on the carpet.

just touch the psu. there. done.

So because of this:

Holy shit, fuck me in the  ;)

I just put a multimeter to my black Antec PSU, its resistance across two points on the surface is always 1.

So its not conductive! (well the metal inside is but the paint insulates it.)

You should do this:

And use the screw as your ground. (for regularly touching or for strap attaching whatever floats your boat)

Edit: I just checked the resistance between a PSU screw and the ground pin on the wall connector and found minimal resistance (meaning the screw is grounded). The above recommendation is sound.

I didn't say they couldn't withstand a little bit of static electricity, but I bet the limit is not at where humans start to feel it. Static electricity affects all electronics.

The tolerance is higher than you think, there would be much more "DOA" reviews if the tolerance was low. The little amount of static might affect some boards or components, but its very unlikely(and if it does it could be attributed to a shoddy design, in which case there are bigger problems).

*unplugs his fans*

*whole computer is rip and needs to rma psu because it's dead*

Although higher humidity results in less static electricity being generated. If you have low humidity in your house/apartment, you can generate as much as 25,000V rubbing feet across carpet. In fact, with this winter going by in my area, when I get out of my car and touch it, I tend to get shocked.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Although higher humidity results in less static electricity being generated. If you have low humidity in your house/apartment, you can generate as much as 25,000V rubbing feet across carpet. In fact, with this winter going by in my area, when I get out of my car and touch it, I tend to get shocked.

Apparently a formula for voltage of an arc (spark) is 3000 x Pressure (in atm) x Distance (in mm) + 1350

Like you said it will vary with humidity, but if we just use that, a lets say 2 mm spark at 0.9 atm would be 6750; still much higher than the 12, 5, 3.3, and lower voltages most electronics expect.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Apparently a formula for voltage of an arc (spark) is 3000 x Pressure (in atm) x Distance (in mm) + 1350

Like you said it will vary with humidity, but if we just use that, a lets say 2 mm spark at 0.9 atm would be 6750; still much higher than the 12, 5, 3.3, and lower voltages most electronics expect.

Edit: sorry I misunderstood your point. 

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

There are alot of guides online about building a PC.  First you should ground youself.  Second turn off your PSU but plug it in.  Making sure both your feet are on the ground touch the PSU on any metal part with both hands.  Do this every so often when you move around, especially on carpet.  If you wanna be super safe, use a anti static wrist bracelet.  Do not use any of the p[lastic covers (what ever your hardware is placed in because the outside of it can have static build up.)  instead use the box.

Hope this helps.

You'll be fine especially in the UK we have extra humidity here.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

You'll be fine especially in the UK we don't have extra humidity to worry about. 

Lower humidity makes more static electricity generate.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Whoops wrong way around we've got loads of it :P

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Make sure the PSU is plugged in, not turned on but just plugged in to the wall. This will actually let it be an efective ground.

I was wondering, how does touching a BLACK CX600M actually ground you? surely the metal paint stuff that goes on it prevents me from being grounded?

Also, I've decided to work in my bathroom. It has laminate style flooring, and there's a socket just outside of it iirc

I also advise putting the relevant panel back onto the case for the side you're lying it on, when you can. It may be a hassle, but it cuts a lot of risk.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

I was wondering, how does touching a BLACK CX600M actually ground you? surely the metal paint stuff that goes on it prevents me from being grounded?

Also, I've decided to work in my bathroom. It has laminate style flooring, and there's a socket just outside of it iirc

I just put a multimeter to my black Antec PSU, its resistance across two points on the surface is always 1.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

YES!

I measured the resistance across two separate screws and found there was minimal resistance.

It will likely be ok, but it never hurts to be safe. Just touch your case or psu every now and then to discharge the static if there is any.

Ehh.... It's not recommended, though as long as you don't touch any of the metal contact points of your CPU or anything like that, you should be fine.

Just be sure to have your PSU plugged in and off, then just touch it every few minutes or after moving around on the carpet.

just touch the psu. there. done.

So because of this:

You should do this:

And use the screw as your ground. (for regularly touching or for strap attaching whatever floats your boat)

Edit: I just checked the resistance between a PSU screw and the ground pin on the wall connector and found minimal resistance (meaning the screw is grounded). The above recommendation is sound.

YES!

So because of this:

You should do this:

Nice, thanks so much :)

YES!

So because of this:

You should do this:

So, I just screw in a metallic screw into the back a little bit and then attach my strap?

Nice, thanks so much :)

Your welcome. I was just going to say "you can shock your self on a painted car so it can't be much different"

But then I remembered I had a multi meter on my desk. The one problem was that I had to open my rear side panel and I was greeted once again by the Medusa that hides behind my mobo tray. 

Edit: I should also note that this epic task required me to perform the greatest most noble and total sacrifice known to man; I put down my laptop and went into another room.

So, I just screw in a metallic screw into the back a little bit and then attach my strap?

Or just touch it regularly. 

Or just touch it regularly. 

I'll be on the safe side. I'm really paranoid with this kind of thing