the fact that skylake cpus are bending does matter?

Go to solution Solved by Lays,

Solution to not bend your CPU:

Don't be a dumbass and crank the hell out of the screws

Seriously though: the ones bending the cpu's in the list were weird offbrand stuff that isn't commonly recommended, you'll be fine.

like... yes, it does matter, i dont need to be a genious to know it but, i  mean, for it to bend do you have to be a beast using a power tool to screw a cooler on it? because i plan on build a pc and i was about to buy the things until this came out, and i yet cant find anyone saying what could you do to keep your cpu safe... i live in argentina and no, buying a 450$ i5 to see if ''it doesnt bend'' is not an option, should i just go with an i5 4690k? i mean, i don't know, i like the fact that if i go z170 i could put a kaby lake there... but im not sure, i just dont want to waste 450...

is it really something to be concerned about? or should i just go buy the 6600k and be happy with it? i just hear this: if you ship your pc, just get the cooler out. and... that's it? no real concern? be gentle and all that stuff... maybe i'm just being paranoid, what do you guys think?

Edit: i will be using a cooler master 212 evo, 100$ for a piece of metal and copper... anyway, it isnt huge, so i guess i'll be fine, right?

Seriously though: the ones bending the cpu's in the list were weird offbrand stuff that isn't commonly recommended, you'll be fine.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

If you want the newer one then get it, it's unlikely that you'll bend it or that bends will affect it's ability to work.

but non-skylake ones don't bend

soo.....this isn't intel's fault partly?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Thank's! because i really wanted to go with the skylake.

no its not an issue

just dont tighten your cooler using a power drill/screwdriver like those idiots did

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The mounting pressure of some coolers are just too high for the thinner Skylake chips, which is causing them to bend. The simple solution is to just not do them up as tight. 

In general, you don't need to worry. Most of the big companies in the cooler market seem to be having little to no issues, and the ones that are having issues seem to be offering new mounting hardware for Skylake. 

Basically, if the CPU bends when you tighten the CPU bracket, you're not doing it right.

The bending problem came from the guy using an electric screwdriver. Even said so in the news: "Now this could be user error, but i've never broken a chip with my electric screwdriver before". Yeah, it was user error.

Skylake has been out for several months. If it is bending as easily as people are being made to believe, we would have heard about this much sooner.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Basically, if the CPU bends when you tighten the CPU bracket, you're not doing it right.

thanks! i will know i fucked up if i see it bends... haha

but non-skylake ones don't bend

soo.....this isn't intel's fault partly?

yep the extra 1 pin has completely given up the structural integrity of the motherboard (sorry i couldn't resist saying that) 

I really think it's the motherboards to blame here. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

yep the extra 1 pin has completely given up the structural integrity of the motherboard (sorry i couldn't resist saying that) 

I really think it's the motherboards to blame here. 

it's possible. I'd like to know what's causing it- either thinner cpu or motherbaords doing something. Cause while you shouldn't crank it that tight, it shouldn't do that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Ahhhhh, so THIS is why I stayed with Sandy Bridge...

me too

*cries a little*

muh specs 

All parts black

it's possible. I'd like to know what's causing it- either thinner cpu or motherbaords doing something. Cause while you shouldn't crank it that tight, it shouldn't do that. 

The substrate is thinner, that is a fact. However, the pictures we saw in that news post... yeah... that's from overtightening. One corner does not bend like that without having excessive pressure on it. A slight curve on the overall chip? Yeah, that's somewhat believable. I've even seen people delid their skylake chips improperly causing the exact same curvature when they removed the IHS. But an entire corner bending? Electric screwdriver being used? Sorry, but 1+1 = 2, lol.

Point is, as long as you take the same precaution when mounting Skylake chips as you do with every other chip, they should be fine. It does not take that much torque to tighten these things.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Ahhhhh, so THIS is why I stayed with Sandy Bridge...

i have a sandy bridge haha! im happy with it but the overall system is old i5 2320 here!

i have a sandy bridge haha! im happy with it but the overall system is old i5 2320 here!

2600K here. Old yes. Still way insanely fast? HELL YEAH.

2600K here. Old yes. Still way insanely fast? HELL YEAH.

my pc is weird, it's pre-built but it has a stock like cooler but it says cooler master, that bugs me out.

I hope I didn't bend my 6600k but it's working fine and I cbf taking the cooler off to check :)