Google's D-Wave 2X Quantum Computer 100 Million Times Faster Than Regular Computer Chip

RagnarokDel

Tapping into the ostensibly "magical fount" of quantum mechanics could possibly result to an outpouring of new and ground-breaking advancements in material science.

A team of Google and NASA engineers is at the heart of an incredibly significant finding that may someday lead to precisely that.

Deep within the space agency's Advanced Supercomputing center in Silicon Valley is a huge black box called D-Wave 2X Quantum Computer. It is a machine acquired by Google and NASA in 2013 which can decipher complex problems that classical computers cannot handle.

"We have already encountered problems we would like to solve that are unfeasible with conventional computers," said Google Vice President for Engineering John Giannandrea. "We want to understand the future that may lie ahead of us in non-conventional computing."

10,000 Years Of Computing Reduced To Mere Seconds

On Dec. 8, Google and NASA announced that the D-Wave 2X turned up with an answer for an optimization problem within mere seconds, a processing speed that is 100 million times faster than that of average computer chips.

Google Director of Engineering Hartmut Neven said that what the D-Wave 2X can process in a span of a second is something that a single-core classical computer can solve in a span of 10,000 years.

Quantum computers such as the D-Wave 2X are significantly faster because they run on quantum bits or qubits instead of simple 0's and 1's. For qubits, each 0 and 1 can be performed simultaneously. Because of that, the calculations can be accomplished at higher speeds.

I wonder how long it will take to be able to have this at home if ever?

imagine dat Cities:Skyline FPS

IAQpvxS.png this thing is a beauty

The D-Wave 2X computer runs on 1,097 qubits, making it best suitable for optimization problems. Optimization problems are, in practical terms, instances when scientists have to find the best way to sift through a number of possible solutions.

Similar problems occur in air traffic control modeling and space missions, all of which NASA devotes computing resources to.

The optimization problem that the D-Wave 2X solved had about 1,000 variables. Systems with quantum effects would help solve more complex problems, scientists said.

Google and NASA engineers believe that the findings represent a step towards something extraordinary, but it comes with some warnings.

The D-Wave 2X computer can only perform a limited set of quantum calculations, scientists said. Manipulating optimization problems to become suitable for the quantum computer is not an easy task, and only a few know how to do it.

"We need to make it easier to take a practical optimization problem as it occurs on some engineer's desk," said Neven. "We need to make the input into the machine easier. That is not there yet."

The findings of this study are featured in a scientific paper which is yet to be peer-reviewed.

o I may finally have an answer on Pizza or Sushis!

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/114614/20151209/googles-d-wave-2x-quantum-computer-100-million-times-faster-than-regular-computer-chip.htm

In what applications is it 100 million times faster is the question, if its super fast at doing shit all its not that helpful

of 1 core VS quantum processor, but still amazing.

In what applications is it 100 million times faster is the question, if its super fast at doing shit all its not that helpful

in applications that are writen to need  quantum annealers.

This test was mostly to check if it even works correctly and then in that task compare it to 1 CPU core using  Quantum Monte Carlo or  simulated annealing.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I love that they call the older single core chip a 'classical computer'

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Whether, this "quantum" computer is designed mainly for disasters recovery, which is the safest way to handle a situation and stuff like that

also things like weather, where multiple outcomes are possible. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

So I like how we don't have practical true quantum computers at room temperate, or really anything that's more than a proof of concept, yet this thing shows up like 

"yep, all figured out. Totally a quantum computer Since and shit".

WgPvjXL.pngTr9yfwM.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well "Classical Computers" Used to be that big, So Im fairly sure in 30 years itll be in our pocket

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

This only benefits certain workloads; it isn't a make everything better and faster kind of thing.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Wow! Maybe that can scroll a pdf document without stuttering.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Wow! Maybe that can scroll a pdf document without stuttering.

nonsense. Adobe won't have that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Actually quantum computing is extremely helpful in the fields of Biomedical research; analyzing the functional and structural changes and properties of amino acid chains during protein folding is relevent in areas such as toxicology with the synthesis of pharmaceutical products. It's also of use in the monitoring the spread of infections and disease within populations or their migration panterns and could serve to better predict outbreaks, making it easier to curb or prevent their spread. 

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I want a quantum GPU. I have no idea if this is possible or how if would perform, but I want it.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

But can it run Crysis Arkham Knight?

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

I wonder if they could Fold on it :P

/s

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I love that they call the older single core chip a 'classical computer'

Depends on how you define computer. Just have to imagine how many cash registers, ATM machines, etc, are from 2003 with a single core CPU and running XP.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Thats pretty cool, but I imagine the algorithm was heavily optimized for quantum computers. I remember reading about similar speedups in the past, but it turned out that, if well optimized, the pc version of the program ran at around 1/10 of the quantum computers speed. While it still is better for the qm (name of future pcs?) , its not as fast as stated.

Also, if someone knows better, how does a qubit actually work? Someone once said its basicly a 1 or a 0, but it can be also in a superposition between them. Doesnt that make it a... Analog bit?

Ps. Now give it x86 and benchmark minesweepper :)

Disregard females, acquire currency

Can it run crysis?

OT:

I'd like it to run a zero consequence simulation of the world...

Thats pretty cool, but I imagine the algorithm was heavily optimized for quantum computers. I remember reading about similar speedups in the past, but it turned out that, if well optimized, the pc version of the program ran at around 1/10 of the quantum computers speed. While it still is better for the qm (name of future pcs?) , its not as fast as stated.

Also, if someone knows better, how does a qubit actually work? Someone once said its basicly a 1 or a 0, but it can be also in a superposition between them. Doesnt that make it a... Analog bit?

Ps. Now give it x86 and benchmark minesweepper :)

I'm no expert and I'll get this wrong I know it, but as I understand it, a qubit is not just a 1 or a 0, before it is measured a qubit is at the same time a 1, a 0, a -1, and a -0 which allows branching paths in code to be done at the same time without having to go through each one, one after the other, so you only need something like 300 qubits to basically simulate every possible location of every atom in the visible universe in a fraction of the time it would take a classical computer to complete.

Once a qubit is measured though, it collapses into just one of the aforementioned states and acts in the same way as a classical bit, but again, it can be any one of 4 possibilities and it requires further computation by a classical pc to check that the answer is the one we're looking for, and that might sound like it's be slow, but once we have the output from a quantum pc, we only need to check 1 answer and give us the answer in minutes as opposed to millennia.

Current quantum computers aren't true quantum computers depending on who you believe though, and I'm of the opinion that these so-called quantum computers aren't quite true quantum devices, but I'm just a monkey with only a minimum understanding of quantum theory, so you can ignore me if you want :D

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Take this whole article with a pinch of salt till we see some real data proving what they are saying.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

*first comment not "can it run crysis"*

TcT

The forum that I know and love is dead.

- snip-

So can we finally play Crysis with just a CPU?

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q