Its Comcastic

Donut417

But according to Roberts, caps only make sense because broadband is just like gasoline and electricity.

"Just as with every other thing in your life — if you drive a hundred thousand miles or a thousand miles you buy more gasoline," the CEO claimed.

"If you turn on the air conditioning at 60 versus 72, you consume more electricity," he said. "The same is true for [data] usage, so I think the same for a wireless device — the more bits you use, the more you pay."

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-CEO-Defends-Caps-Claims-Broadbands-Like-Gasoline-135826

I guess Comcast wont mind to submit their meter to inspection by the Michigan Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures. Because under Michigan State law all meters have to be verified. Or they could just submit to the regulations that DTE energy has to submit to as a utility. Not to mention all the other states they will have to make sure they are with in regulations. The fact is, I want Government inspection of their meter to insure its correct down to the bit.

Im tempted to contact my state representatives as well as the Governor on this matter. No we did not have caps yet, but they are coming. In my community you can really only get Comcast. Phone lines are too far gone for DSL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Ehhhh. In some sense he is correct. But it doesn't scale like that. Also, if you fucking pay already for the bandwidth then you should be allowed to use it.

You don't also pay for gas and then pay again when you use it....

If they want this, then all connections should be only a set amount to set up and then a monthly fee depending on data usage. Not a big charge depending on potential and then another charge for usage...

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I live in Michigan... and have Comcast... I know most of the time, Comcast gives 150GB caps, and I use at least 200 currently... well I hope they either don't introduce caps, or if they do they'll get their utter BS exposed. There's no reason why my service should slow down to 10% of promised speed at 1 in the morning... when essentially nobody is on the network.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

He's wrong, more oil and fuel actually costs more to have more, but it's not like they're doing more work when you dl more pr0n is it?

Ehhhh. In some sense he is correct. But it doesn't scale like that. Also, if you fucking pay already for the bandwidth then you should be allowed to use it.

You don't also pay for gas and then pay again when you use it....

If they want this, then all connections should be only a set amount to set up and then a monthly fee depending on data usage. Not a big charge depending on potential and then another charge for usage...

You missed the point. How do I, the consumer know if that meter is correct. Why because Comcast told me. I know when I pump gas that the meter on the pump is correct. How, but cause its stamped by the State, showing it was inspected. Same thing goes to when I go to the store and by anything sold by weight. So why should Comcast be able to get around those inspections? They should have to verify to the State Of Michigan( or what ever state you are in) that the meter is correct. They could be screwing you out of bandwidth. Further more, ATT, Verizon, Sprint and any other company that uses caps like Comcast does, should have to submit their meters for inspection. 

yah no they don't own information that crosses over, and they sell us an access rate not amount. Cause, you know

the internet is not finite, access to it is!

Ass holes. 

If you sell me 25Mb/s, you better be prepared for me to use it for the whole billing period. 

Also I can't pay 30 extra dollars a month to get unlimited gas because that's not how it fucking works comcast! 

​You don't have to like drill for internet!

No one's going around asking people to use reddit's mobile view to save our planet's bandwidth!

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I live in Michigan... and have Comcast... I know most of the time, Comcast gives 150GB caps, and I use at least 200 currently... well I hope they either don't introduce caps, or if they do they'll get their utter BS exposed. There's no reason why my service should slow down to 10% of promised speed at 1 in the morning... when essentially nobody is on the network.

These caps are going nation wide. They just keep adding more markets. This will be a national thing eventually. 

You missed the point. How do I, the consumer know if that meter is correct. Why because Comcast told me. I know when I pump gas that the meter on the pump is correct. How, but cause its stamped by the State, showing it was inspected. Same thing goes to when I go to the store and by anything sold by weight. So why should Comcast be able to get around those inspections? They should have to verify to the State Of Michigan( or what ever state you are in) that the meter is correct. They could be screwing you out of bandwidth. Further more, ATT, Verizon, Sprint and any other company that uses caps like Comcast does, should have to submit their meters for inspection.

I did see that but I don't really have an opinion on that part. The very idea of a metered connection is just stupid. As out lined in my post.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

He's wrong, more oil and fuel actually costs more to have more, but it's not like they're doing more work when you dl more pr0n is it?

You are somewhat wrong in that sense. If people use more data then that means you must have higher performing networks. It does cost them some more money. But it doesn't at all scale the way electricity does. There is very little difference between 10% or 20% load on a switch, but a large difference when it comes to 10KM per L or 20KM per L. 

(But since they already charge you for your bandwidth they are just being stupid, as outlined in my previous post)

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

You are somewhat wrong in that sense. If people use more data then that means you must have higher performing networks. It does cost them some more money. But it doesn't at all scale the way electricity does. There is very little difference between 10% or 20% load on a switch, but a large difference when it comes to 10KM per L or 20KM per L. 

(But since they already charge you for your bandwidth they are just being stupid, as outlined in my previous post)

right. Their business model is selling access speed. Not access in total. Or until now

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Well crap, I know this is nation wide, but what a bad coincidence for my house to have Comcast while being located in Michigan.

in michgan i have a 250 gb cap with at&t but they don't enforce it when i used 300+ i dont even get an email.

Att is trying to get out of the wired broadband business. Like Verizon they rather do wireless. More meat on the bone. I heard they were trying to get out of regulations so they could walk away from their copper on the poles.

Comcast can suck all the dicks.

All of them.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Meanwhile here in UK I'm on Sky BB and get completely unthrottled and unrestricted bandwidth at 40Mbps :ninja

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ugh, I guess I'm just gonna look into creating my own private ISP... (I'll share, of course)

partially because of this, partially because I can.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's impossible

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Does anyone know for sure if it actually costs them more when you use your internet? I was under the impression the internet was like a light that couldn't be turned off...it costs money whether or not you're there to take advantage of it because it's always supposed to be on and that the real issue was total bandwidth and keeping up with increased demand. I don't want to just call them liars because of my preconceived notions, though.

Comparing internet data caps to electricity and gas is ridiculous for several reasons. For one, gas and electricity require physical resources that get consumed to maintain (gas being natural gas and electricity being coal usually). Additionally, a data cap would not reflect a similar model to what utilities use. If they want to set it up similar to utilities then it needs to be setup where you pay based solely on data consumption and increase overall bandwidth speed to the absolute maximum possible for all customers and just charge based on how much data they actually consume with no data caps.

All of this is a bit of a moot point though, charging people who consume bandwidth beyond their data caps are nothing more than a filthy cash grab by comcast. Comcast has thousands of miles of fiber across the entire country paid for by the taxpayer that is more than sufficient to support bandwidth consumed by their customers. If they truly believe bandwidth consumption is a concern they need to pony up and spend money to upgrade their dated infrastructure. Convert all that crappy coax to fiber and supply fiber to the home already. ISPs such as Comcast already have an enormous profit margin on their internet service they should easily be able to afford to upgrade their infrastructure periodically.

The internet is not a finite resource. But according to Comcast, it is.

Comcast: Not even once.

The internet is not a finite resource. But according to Comcast, it is.

Comcast: Not even once.

It's like meth except no one wants it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

But Comcast, can you really run out of bits and bytes? and if so where do you get the bits and the bytes to fill them up in what kind of container? I know "gas"(oil) comes from the ground and there is only so much oil, electricity comes from many sources like the sun, wind, water, and oil(almost forgot nuke), but as far as I am aware the bits and the bytes come from servers(which you don't own), and your job is to transfer the bits and the bytes, therefore you are not the owner of the bits and the bytes and you cant charge for them individually per se. 

He's wrong simply because he's not selling water or gas, he's selling the right to use the fucking pipes: he shouldn't care about how much goes through the pipe jus that he has capacity.

-------

Current Rig

-------

He's wrong simply because he's not selling water or gas, he's selling the right to use the fucking pipes: he shouldn't care about how much goes through the pipe jus that he has capacity.

Business people think differently though. All they care about is profit, and maximizing profit makes them feel better. Even though his logic is bullshit from a consumers perspective, it makes perfect sense to him.

Business people think differently though. All they care about is profit, and maximizing profit makes them feel better. Even though his logic is bullshit from a consumers perspective, it makes perfect sense to him.

right I see it as less of a justification more

well people are used to paying for the amount of a utility they use, so if the FCC wants to call internet a utility, fuck it. 

muh specs 

All parts black