my computer switches off by itself

giasimbo

Hello guys, I have tried a lot of things, I am absolutely sure thats it is not a temperature problem, I also have tried a stress test and everything was fine so i guess it is not either my cpu, ram  or gpu.
To help more it switches off when I open a game or a video on internet in about some seconds, when I do something lighter It does less or even not at all.
My system:
MOBO-MSI 990FX-A GD65
CPU   -FX 8350
GPU   -ASUS R9 290X MATRIX
PSU   -THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 850W 80PLUS GOLD

I also have done format 2 times so I guess its not problem in software.

Any ideas of what is causing the problem?

check that all components are seated correctly and that all power cables are connected properly

I have, its all fine

A 390X (rebranded 290X) has a max wattage of 750W, leaving 100W for the rest of your PC. Yikes.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

My guess is PSU

I am thinking of PSU too but I am worried, if it is faulty why in stress test it was everything fine? 

I am thinking of PSU too but I am worried, if it is faulty why in stress test it was everything fine? 

No idea but that is what EVGA told me with my system

A 390X (rebranded 290X) has a max wattage of 750W, leaving 100W for the rest of your PC. Yikes.

It will run fine on a 400w psu the wattage on the site is wrong

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

so you tell me that a 850w and 80plus gold psu is not enough for my gpu? I dont think...and i was using this computer for about 4 months when it starting to shut off

so you tell me that a 850w and 80plus gold psu is not enough for my gpu? I dont think...and i was using this computer for about 4 months when it starting to shut off

It will run fine on a 400w psu the wattage on the site is wrong

@thekeemo corrected me. It doesn't rule out the PSU in terms of quality, though.

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

is there any way that you could try a different PSU

a bit hard right now...could this be a mobo problem?

it could be a problem with anything, once it comes under stress then it forces shut down but the most obvious solution is a problem with the PSU

It could, but it sounds like a PSU problem. When something is wrong with a mobo, it tends to not boot or BSOD. Random shutoff is usually from a PSU.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

When you say it "switches off", I take it you mean that it doesn't blue screen or anything it reboots as such, but goes to "off" instead of last power state and rebooting properly?

Can you tell us more info please:

How long you've had the PC? did you build it or was it a shop bought? etc etc, whatever you can think of the symptoms the PC has had.

At the moment to me sounds like an overheating problem, or maybe as others have said a problem with the PSU in some way.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

You can also try looking for "Kernel-Power" in Event Manager, and placing a speaker on the motherboard.

When you say it "switches off", I take it you mean that it doesn't blue screen or anything it reboots as such, but goes to "off" instead of last power state and rebooting properly?

Can you tell us more info please:

How long you've had the PC? did you build it or was it a shop bought? etc etc, whatever you can think of the symptoms the PC has had.

At the moment to me sounds like an overheating problem, or maybe as others have said a problem with the PSU in some way.

I am using the pc for 6 months and I am having this problem the last month, I built the computer on my own, also the problem started 1 day after the format, thats all I think that can help 

You can also try looking for "Kernel-Power" in Event Manager, and placing a speaker on the motherboard.

I am not having any errors like this, what do you mean speaker on motherboard? can you expalin me how it can help? thx a lot for the help

I am not having any errors like this, what do you mean speaker on motherboard? can you expalin me how it can help? thx a lot for the help

Ever seen a fan connector? It's a tiny speaker that plugs into a special one of hose on your motherboard, although it's usually two pins over three or four. It beeps with codes you can Google or refer to us and get the answers for what each code means.

Ever seen a fan connector? It's a tiny speaker that plugs into a special one of hose on your motherboard, although it's usually two pins over three or four. It beeps with codes you can Google or refer to us and get the answers for what each code means.

Ok Im gonna try it

Does that processor have integrated graphics?
I'd say go back to bare-bones. Try without the GPU and see if it still shuts off.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Tell it to stop...it that doesn't work threaten to give it a time out. Discipline Man, teach it Discipline!

/s  :ph34r:

Spoiler
Do what the others suggested, no need for me to repeat what has been said up to this point. Cheers. ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Does that processor have integrated graphics?

I'd say go back to bare-bones. Try without the GPU and see if it still shuts off.

Nope no integrated graphics.

Hello guys, I have tried a lot of things, I am absolutely sure thats it is not a temperature problem, I also have tried a stress test and everything was fine so i guess it is not either my cpu, ram  or gpu.

To help more it switches off when I open a game or a video on internet in about some seconds, when I do something lighter It does less or even not at all.

My system:

MOBO-MSI 990FX-A GD65

CPU   -FX 8350

GPU   -ASUS R9 290X MATRIX

PSU   -THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 850W 80PLUS GOLD

I also have done format 2 times so I guess its not problem in software.

Any ideas of what is causing the problem?

Motherboard is faulty, if it was the PSU it would fail stress tests, I'm going to hazard a guess that the motherboard is shutting off. Are you overclocking the 8350 at all? is your ram set up correctly?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Nope no integrated graphics.

Motherboard is faulty, if it was the PSU it would fail stress tests, I'm going to hazard a guess that the motherboard is shutting off. Are you overclocking the 8350 at all? is your ram set up correctly?

no overclock and my ram is fine so you guess mobo?