I5 4690K VS I5 6600K

So I recently saw that post about the Skylakes bending and I'm wondering should I still buy one, yes fear is getting to me because this is my first build and I don't wanna do something stupid and break it if its already super easy to break... if that makes any sense?

I really did want the Skylake even though people said it wasn't worth, it would be cool to get the latest cpu, moba and Ram in one package then upgrade in a few years and be fine. Is this bending thing a real threat? Should I get a 4690K or perhaps even cheap I7 4790k if I can find it for cheap (Probably not gonna happen)

its made of fiberglass

it is not "easy to break"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've had no issues.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

as long as you dont torque the shit out of your heatsink you will be fine 

ive taken my cpu cooler off mine and reapplied it like 6 times and have yet to have a problem 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

Mine hasn't bent yet.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

I feel like the issues with skylake were either caused by dumb people, or someone attempting to break them, as it was a non issue on the forum for months.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well thanks for confidence my Skylake brothers xD I'll stick to my build plan then.

Yeah literally the whole Skylake bending thing is no big deal... It's people being sloppy with their coolers. You can play it safe though, if you're worried of doing that, and get a different kind of cooler than the ones related to the reports.

"What're you supposed to be? A clown or something?"

"...Sometimes."

Yeah literally the whole Skylake bending thing is no big deal... It's people being sloppy with their coolers. You can play it safe though, if you're worried of doing that, and get a different kind of cooler than the ones related to the reports.

I was planning on getting a cheapish cooler for now. The CM Hyper 212 evo, I'll upgrade in the coming months but I really need this build to be finished soon and I don't have the money to spend 60+ on a CPU cooler.

What I'd personally do is either buy an intel stock cooler on ebay or somewhere and use that (if not overclocking), or get an AIO liquid cooler as that won't have to be as tight on the CPU to keep from moving around.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I think its the same people that went into an upward spiral about iPhone 6's bending in people's pockets ..... 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

What I'd personally do is either buy an intel stock cooler on ebay or somewhere and use that (if not overclocking), or get an AIO liquid cooler as that won't have to be as tight on the CPU to keep from moving around.

How much is a AIO liquid cooler and are they hard to set up and stuff. This is my first build, let alone doing anything with liquid coolers...

I think its the same people that went into an upward spiral about iPhone 6's bending in people's pockets ..... 

Metal is malleable...

Mother-of-god-template.jpg

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Metal is malleable...

Mother-of-god-template.jpg

Pretty sure the 390X beats the 980 @your signature

How much is a AIO liquid cooler and are they hard to set up and stuff. This is my first build, let alone doing anything with liquid coolers...

They're reasonably easy to set up.

They normally cost around $100 (give or take around $50 depending on the size and quality).

It's pretty much just put the waterblock on and secure it, mount the radiator to an available location in your case (typically the top), plug the pump into a CPU fan header, then plug the fans into the other CPU fan header, fan controller, or just a regular fan header.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

They're reasonably easy to set up.

They normally cost around $100 (give or take around $50 depending on the size and quality).

It's pretty much just put the waterblock on and secure it, mount the radiator to an available location in your case (typically the top), plug the pump into a CPU fan header, then plug the fans into the other CPU fan header, fan controller, or just a regular fan header.

Seems easy enough, I have a watercooler case as well. The Phanteks Entroo pro M, so I should be able to have plenty of room correct? I'll pick up a cheap cooler for now and then get a AIO, thanks for the recommendation. Then perhaps I can hit 4.6GHZ on it.

I have an i5 6600 with a Corsair H60 and no bending problems. I only hand tighten the screws for the AIO.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Pretty sure the 390X beats the 980 @your signature

980 is more powerful (the way the list is primarily organised), but they're priced differently as well.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

definetly not.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1559?vs=1442

My overclocked 980 almost gets 18k gpu score.

390X can barely get 16k

Oh well then, why do people say the 980 isn't worth it o..0 It seems nice enough unless the fury is close and price and destroys it then that's another story. Thanks for the info though!

Oh well then, why do people say the 980 isn't worth it o..0 It seems nice enough unless the fury is close and price and destroys it then that's another story. Thanks for the info though!

Fury is not much faster, at that price range you can get a 980 TI which just slaps everything.

When did someone not recommend a 980?

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

I see it all the time tbh. Never get a 980 but they also don't recommend a 390x either. So I pretty much thought 390 then jump to 980ti. I currently have a 960 and waiting for Pascal and Artic Islands

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

What does the 4690k have to do with this?

A Skylake CPU is made with half the material so Intel can save money on manufacturing it, while charging a premium because they put a new name on it.

Have fun! Thanks for paying my taxes! Bahahhahahahaha!

If anyone asks you never saw me.

What does the 4690k have to do with this?

A Skylake CPU is made with half the material so Intel can save money on manufacturing it, while charging a premium because they put a new name on it.

Have fun! Thanks for paying my taxes! Bahahhahahahaha!

along with slightly more performance and better power efficiency from less distance to travel, introducing a new low power memory standard, more PCI lanes, the propper return of BCLK OCing. also funnily enough, from my preferred vendor they cost the same or less than Haswell.