GTX 960 No frame difference between playing low and ultra

Hi guys,

I recently bought myself a MSI GTX 960 4gb which is a pretty solid upgrade from a GTX 650 1 gb

So when I installed it, updated drivers and directX etc. I ran Battlefield 3 just to feel the smooth fps (I thought)

Well the problem is, With my GTX 650 I got around 40-50 fps on medium

And with my new GTX 960 I get the same fps when playing on LOW and the same fps when playing on ULTRA (Both around 45 to 50 fps)

PC Specs:

AMD FX-8320 Black edition 3.5 ghz (Stock cooler)

16 gb of ddr3 RAM

MSI GAMING GTX 960 4GB ( I did not manually overclock something)

MSI 970 motherboard

500w psu

This are my CPU and GPU Temps etc

Playing at Ultra 
Cpu Frequency: 3800 MHz
CPU Fan 3333 RPM
CPU Temp 46 °
CPU voltage 0,001 V
CPU usage 68%
DRAM Frequency 2666MHz
DRAM usage 42%
VRAM Frequency 3505 MHz
VRAM usage 49%
GPU Temp 49°
GPU frequency 1329 Mhz
GPU usage 67%
GPU fan 0 RPM
GPU volt 12v

These are while playing on low
CPU frequency 3800 MHz
CPU fan 3521 RPM
CPU temp 46°
CPU Voltage 0,001 V
CPU usage 67%
DRAM frequency 2666 MHz
DRAM usage 43%
VRAM frequency 3505 MHz
VRAM Uasge 21%
GPU Temp 47
GPU frequency 1215 Mhz
GPU usage 29%
GPU Fan 0 RPM
GPU volt 1062 V

*Note: I used MSI gaming app to let me show al these things while game, and i recorded with Shadowplay so i could write all these things down so maybe it affected the result, i dont know for sure though

Well, I like gaming

See so that you havent locked your max FPS in either the game settings, or in the "MSI gaming app"

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Playing at Ultra 

CPU usage 68%

DRAM usage 42%

VRAM usage 49%

GPU usage 67%

CPU usage 67%

DRAM usage 43%

VRAM Uasge 21%

GPU usage 29%

Your GPU usuage went from 67% to 29%, Seems like you got a huge bottle-neck somewhere!

Or your GPU software is locking your frames. Check your GUI.

It unfortunately could be that processor holding you back. When I started playing bf4, I had an FX 8350 with a gtx 780 and got the same thing: around 50 fps at any settings with ~65-70% cpu load. Upgraded to an i5 4690k, my framerates shot up to ~80-100 at all times in game.

It unfortunately could be that processor holding you back. When I started playing bf4, I had an FX 8350 with a gtx 780 and got the same thing: around 50 fps at any settings with ~65-70% cpu load. Upgraded to an i5 4690k, my framerates shot up to ~80-100 at all times in game.

This pc i got is pretty new,  got it 2 weeks ago, before that i had a I3- 3220 3.3 ghz, and playing on low got me more fps than i get now? and i assume the FX 8320 is (a lot?) better than the i3 3220 

Well, I like gaming

Your GPU usuage went from 67% to 29%, Seems like you got a huge bottle-neck somewhere!

Or your GPU software is locking your frames. Check your GUI.

Well, That is pretty logical? When playing on low it needs to render less (Or lower quality)? So it is pretty logical its usage is less than when playing on ultra?

Well, I like gaming

And with other games (like war thunder, Need for speed most wanted) i did get significant more fps than my old GPU 

Well, I like gaming

CPU bottlenecks GTX960? 

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

This pc i got is pretty new, got it 2 weeks ago, before that i had a I3- 3220 3.3 ghz, and playing on low got me more fps than i get now? and i assume the FX 8320 is (a lot?) better than the i3 3220

I'm sure it's better than the i3, I'm just speaking from experience. I had the cpu that is a step up from you and I had a better gpu and I experienced the same thing you are right now. Perhaps doing a clean install of windows can clean up driver conflicts or something like that (but that's a real pain in the ass).

CPU bottlenecks GTX960? 

The strange thing is, it is only with BF3, My other games do have significant fps improvements, only bf3 doesnt

Well, I like gaming

Well, That is pretty logical? When playing on low it needs to render less (Or lower quality)? So it is pretty logical its usage is less than when playing on ultra?

Lol... Yes... Your GPU usage will go down. What I stated just flew right over your head.

I'm asking you to check your GPU GUI to see if your FPS is locked...

If your FPS isn't locked by your GPU then you've got a bad bottle-neck somewhere.

If it's only BF3 it sounds like a GUI issue to me... A setting made in BF3 only and not other games.

Lol... Yes... Your GPU usage will go down. What I stated just flew right over your head.

I'm asking you to check your GPU GUI to see if your FPS is locked...

If your FPS isn't locked by your GPU then you've got a bad bottle-neck somewhere.

If it's only BF3 it sounds like a GUI issue to me... A setting made in BF3 only and not other games.

Sorry sir, As I'm not a native english speaker I tend up to switch some words up sometimes, I guess I just didn't understood what you said ;)

But ,This may sounds noob to you, But what is GPU GUI. Is that like Nvidia Experience or?

Well, I like gaming

Hi guys,

I recently bought myself a MSI GTX 960 4gb which is a pretty solid upgrade from a GTX 650 1 gb

So when I installed it, updated drivers and directX etc. I ran Battlefield 3 just to feel the smooth fps (I thought)

Well the problem is, With my GTX 650 I got around 40-50 fps on medium

And with my new GTX 960 I get the same fps when playing on LOW and the same fps when playing on ULTRA (Both around 45 to 50 fps)

PC Specs:

AMD FX-8320 Black edition 3.5 ghz (Stock cooler)

16 gb of ddr3 RAM

MSI GAMING GTX 960 4GB ( I did not manually overclock something)

MSI 970 motherboard

500w psu

This are my CPU and GPU Temps etc

Playing at Ultra 

Cpu Frequency: 3800 MHz

CPU Fan 3333 RPM

CPU Temp 46 °

CPU voltage 0,001 V

CPU usage 68%

DRAM Frequency 2666MHz

DRAM usage 42%

VRAM Frequency 3505 MHz

VRAM usage 49%

GPU Temp 49°

GPU frequency 1329 Mhz

GPU usage 67%

GPU fan 0 RPM

GPU volt 12v

CPU frequency 3800 MHz

CPU fan 3521 RPM

CPU temp 46°

CPU Voltage 0,001 V

CPU usage 67%

DRAM frequency 2666 MHz

DRAM usage 43%

VRAM frequency 3505 MHz

VRAM Uasge 21%

GPU Temp 47

GPU frequency 1215 Mhz

GPU usage 29%

GPU Fan 0 RPM

GPU volt 1062 V

*Note: I used MSI gaming app to let me show al these things while game, and i recorded with Shadowplay so i could write all these things down so maybe it affected the result, i dont know for sure though

cpu bottleneck

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

cpu bottleneck

If I will overclock my CPU to 4.0 Ghz will it still bottleneck?

Well, I like gaming

If I will overclock my CPU to 4.0 Ghz will it still bottleneck?

4.0ghz ? No

4.5ghz ? Maybe

It might make a difference , the main problem here is that the game can't take advantage of multiple cores.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Sorry sir, As I'm not a native english speaker I tend up to switch some words up sometimes, I guess I just didn't understood what you said ;)

But ,This may sounds noob to you, But what is GPU GUI. Is that like Nvidia Experience or?

Yes, GUI stands for Graphical User Interface. 

4.0ghz ? No

4.5ghz ? Maybe

It might make a difference , the main problem here is that the game can't take advantage of multiple cores.

And there is no way to fix this? but what im really confused about is, My previous CPU (A worser one than the one I have now) didnt have this problem? how is that possible?

Well, I like gaming

And there is no way to fix this? but what im really confused about is, My previous CPU (A worser one than the one I have now) didnt have this problem? how is that possible?

what cpu were you using ?

It's entirely possible single core performance was better.

Let me explain this:

Let's compare the i5 4690k and the fx 8350 (both are similar in multithreaded performance.

If a game can only use two threads , it will be able to take advantage of 50% of the i5's performance , whereas on the fx , it can only use 25% of it.

Yes, GUI stands for Graphical User Interface. 

I can't find it anywhere in GeForce Experience, Could it be that I have a 64-bit OS but BF3 is located in program files x86 (dont know if that is 64 bit or 32 bit)

Well, I like gaming

what cpu were you using ?

It's entirely possible single core performance was better.

Let me explain this:

Let's compare the i5 4690k and the fx 8350 (both are similar in multithreaded performance.

If a game can only use two threads , it will be able to take advantage of 50% of the i5's performance , whereas on the fx , it can only use 25% of it.

My previous CPU was the Intel I3-3220 quad core 3.3 ghz

Well, I like gaming

My previous CPU was the Intel I3-3220 quad core 3.3 ghz

the i3 has better single core performance , even though the 8350 is more powerful on all cores.

That is why the game isn't running well ,it can't take advantage of the extra power , the cpu is pinned at 100% so the gpu doesn't get info fast enough.

I can't find it anywhere in GeForce Experience, Could it be that I have a 64-bit OS but BF3 is located in program files x86 (dont know if that is 64 bit or 32 bit)

Ok, then follow what @Coaxialgamer is saying

the i3 has better single core performance , even though the 8350 is more powerful on all cores.

That is why the game isn't running well ,it can't take advantage of the extra power , the cpu is pinned at 100% so the gpu doesn't get info fast enough.

He is right about this, see if you can view the performance of each of your 8 cores. 

Ok, then follow what @Coaxialgamer is saying

He is right about this, see if you can view the performance of each of your 8 cores. 

I can view that in Task manager, What exactly do I need to look for?

Well, I like gaming

I have an FX-9590 and a R9 290X and my FPS on Battlefield ranges from 75-120, you probably had a faulty CPU or Motherboard.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

I can view that in Task manager, What exactly do I need to look for?

If any of your cores are reaching max usage. They may or may not. Either way, the intel cpu's typically have better single core performance, over the amd cpu's. A lot of games only use one or two cores.