Dust filters?

SnipingBow

I want to understand how important dust filters are.

Do you need it on top of the case if the case is solid on top?

Do you need it on bottom? I think so.

Do you need it on the back? I think not since air is coming for the back.

The front has to have filters since the air is coming in.

Is this right?

If so, does anyone have a good air flow case with dust filters that is a good price?

If there's none, how expensive are the dust filters and where do you buy them?

You need them on the intakes, and it's a good idea to put them in any spots where there are no fans but there is a fan spot as well.

There are a few types of air filter styles, some are magnetic, some you put between the fan and the case when you screw the fan in, and some that come with the case. Usually they're pretty cheap (like under $8 each), you can find em on amazon.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

only on intakes

does your case intake air from a solid panel?

i think not.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you need it on top of the case if the case is solid on top? no

Do you need it on bottom? If your psu sucks up air from the bottom, than yes.

Do you need it on the back? no

The front has to have filters since the air is coming in. yes

The mid tower corsair cases aren't bad, i have an older model and it has the front and bottom filters.

Do you need it on top of the case if the case is solid on top? no

Do you need it on bottom? If your psu sucks up air from the bottom, than yes.

Do you need it on the back? no

The front has to have filters since the air is coming in. yes

The mid tower corsair cases aren't bad, i have an older model and it has the front and bottom filters.

Like the spec 01?

I would have to buy extra fans if so.

Only filter intakes.

Also, if you are using magnetic filters do NOT put a filter on an exhaust.

Heat messes with the magnetic filters.

So only intakes, since you should only be filtering intakes anyways.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Only filter intakes.

Also, if you are using magnetic filters do NOT put a filter on an exhaust.

Heat messes with the magnetic filters.

So only intakes, since you should only be filtering intakes anyways.

I am sorry for the noob question. But how do I know if my build need my PSU to intake are or exhaust it? (Still waiting for my parts to build it)

If there's none, how expensive are the dust filters and where do you buy them?

http://www.demcifilter.com/

Best Filters ever. My PC stays absolutly clean. I clean the Filters once a week.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

IMO air intakes are essential. After that I think that it depends on how much positive pressure you run, and how big your case is. Run a simple plus/minus, each intake is a plus, each output a minus. If you're in a small form factor build, or mid tower, and +1, then you're sweet. if you're running a full tower, I'd want +2. If you've got a 900D, then +3 is looking pretty sweet.

I'm assuming a modest amount of fans, if you're fully populating a 900d then +1 is just fine.

Edit: demciflex sell precut filters for most popular cases, and filter material if you've got something weird, otherwise check frozencpu in the UK, or whatever your regional equivalent is.

IMO air intakes are essential. After that I think that it depends on how much positive pressure you run, and how big your case is. Run a simple plus/minus, each intake is a plus, each output a minus. If you're in a small form factor build, or mid tower, and +1, then you're sweet. if you're running a full tower, I'd want +2. If you've got a 900D, then +3 is looking pretty sweet.

I'm assuming a modest amount of fans, if you're fully populating a 900d then +1 is just fine.

I don't have a case yet.

The problem is I can't seem to find one with dust filters, good air flow (stock) and for a good price.

Can anyone help?

I have a ATX mobo

http://www.demcifilter.com/

Best Filters ever. My PC stays absolutly clean. I clean the Filters once a week.

Edit: demciflex sell precut filters for most popular cases, and filter material if you've got something weird, otherwise check frozencpu in the UK, or whatever your regional equivalent is.

I also recommend Demci

I am sorry for the noob question. But how do I know if my build need my PSU to intake are or exhaust it? (Still waiting for my parts to build it)

PSUs will intake from the top (where the PSU fan is located, but it can be orientated either way. Better to intake from outside the case) and will exhaust air from the back.

Most cases come with PSU filters.

Filter intakes only if the system has positive airflow. Filter intakes and passive ventilation holes if the system has negative airflow.

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

I don't have a case yet.

The problem is I can't seem to find one with dust filters, good air flow (stock) and for a good price.

Can anyone help?

I have a ATX mobo

Phanteks are well respected, Fractal R4 (I'm biased against the R5, but for a pure atx it's fine, and maybe better)

Lian Li makes some pretty awesome cases, but you might have to buy aftermarket filters for them.

I will just say that with the aftermarket options available to the pc community nowadays that modifying your case to fix the one little thing you don't like isn't difficult, and shouldn't put you off a case that you do like.

.....Why am I not recommending corsair? My case does have filters on every intake, but I can't recommend it.

PSUs will intake from the top (where the PSU fan is located, but it can be orientated either way. Better to intake from outside the case) and will exhaust air from the back.

Most cases come with PSU filters.

If you do have the PSU facing down, make sure there is enough clearance underneath the case for the PSU to intake air and as a rule of thumb, never mount the PSU facing down if the system is going to be on the carpet. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If you do have the PSU facing down, make sure there is enough clearance underneath the case for the PSU to intake air and as a rule of thumb, never mount the PSU facing down if the system is going to be on the carpet. 

Better yet, don't put your rig on the carpet.

So is it standard for people to have the PSU facing down? Looks like a free way to get a intake. How much clearance do i need?