Nintendo Patents SLI Like Console Linked Computing System

Nintendo's patent's claim include:

• A console may physically, wirelessly, and/or net based connect to one or more other devices with one or more processors to assist with computing.
  • There will bitcoin mining like compensation system for use in a sort of cloud p2p gaming system.
  • The cloud p2p gaming system will route traffic based on latency. 

This patent has many interesting claims. They either indicate that you can hook your new 3ds and/or older consoles into your nx, or you can stack nx up to the ceiling and hope for 4k support. The vague cloud compensation system either indicates: you getting trophies/mii clothes/ect for the random number of times your nx is called to the cloud, there will be a freemium lottery based net usage system where it's pay to play online or collecting phantom system use tokens, or you get store credit for the phantom use of your nx.

I have no idea if this indicates scalable power or a cheap system with duct taped legacy/network support. Tell what everyone thinks and here's a link to the patent and a video about this.

Very interesting concept, but I think that we don't have the tech to work with all the introduced latencies. Even if you stack multiple consoles you'd still have the latency of the copper connection between them. Which makes syncing the compute stuff rather difficult

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I though nintendo was all about the franchise though not the performance.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

i sounds pretty awesome but as they say in the video this would have its problems. well just have to wait and see. not a Nintendo fan but this sounds cool anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Very interesting concept, but I think that we don't have the tech to work with all the introduced latencies. Even if you stack multiple consoles you'd still have the latency of the copper connection between them. Which makes syncing the compute stuff rather difficult

maby they could pack in fiber cables? just for the local stuff?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Assuming that you won't be stacking latency along with the consoles (something nobody has been able to solve yet) and that they get better diminishing returns than current SLI/Crossfire (again not likely but maybe with a DX12 like solution) this is a good idea: they could still release modest machines and then go "yeah this new game looks next gen, but you need to stack two NXs to play" and so on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

and now i want the NX even more

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

:P allow me to use my pc´s hardware to power the console and i could be interested, otherwise.. there just isnt enough awesome zelda games to make me buy it.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

I was assuming they'd part out disparate elements instead of actual frame rendering. So basically think of what the "unlocked" 7th core of the ps4/xboxone used to do. Or, while unlikely, off screen reactive gameplay, where stuff, such as like your fallout 4 base or simply other rooms in an enemy base, are active simulations that you're main console calls upon for basic conditions when you enter a room, (which could eliminate loads in fallout 4 elevators.) While optimistic I think It's likely just a patent for a 3ds upscaler and a related achievement system.

Assuming that you won't be stacking latency along with the consoles (something nobody has been able to solve yet) and that they get better diminishing returns than current SLI/Crossfire (again not likely but maybe with a DX12 like solution) this is a good idea: they could still release modest machines and then go "yeah this new game looks next gen, but you need to stack two NXs to play" and so on.

Hopefully they'd use this daisy chain to expand the next zelda's scale instead of frame render aid. I'd Love to see link charge into a massive dungeon and have reactive enemies in distant rooms react to alerts or even Attack style, and make you change your gameplay up when the other console moves around the total grouping of enemies or changes their weaknesses based on your actions. This completely separate simulation style of computing could use worse latency and just communicate small play stats, and otherwise act as a random number generator for new area spawns.

While I like this concept: it wouldn't help with picture quality, would be a b@#$% to program for, and would have some crazy glitches. Glitching out whenever the process of the simulation machine giving the main console the conditions of screen events get's desynced. Imagine the screen shots of sudden random unintelligible data getting sent into the game. Some of this concept has been done in multiplayer games, but this would get way worse returns consistency then even sli. Some games would see massive ai improvement and others could break your save file or even the install.

So yeah I don't hold much hope for reliable power. or really any power, and am guessing there will just be some massive upscaling of a 3ds game or two. Still has a cool potential though. Better Idea than the tablet+console idea turned out to be.

You can't solve latency. It's a physical barrier you can't solve since you have data traveling a certain distance at a fixed speed, and unless you find point-to-point wormholes you'll always have latency issues.

Ye ole' train

Have fun dealing with Comcast and AT&T, Nintendo, because it means you're adding a lot of traffic to their networks and we all know how they deal with that.