OnePlus 2 Is removing the invite system!

Qub3d

edit: In the interest of unifying discussion, please use the thread posted earlier on this topic: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/498213-mini-news-oneplus-2-to-be-sold-totally-invite-fre-forever-on-dec-5th-onwards/

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/oneplus-2-permanently-kicks-invites-to-the-curb-1310403

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/3/9842924/the-oneplus-2-invite-free-december-5th

It's what it says on the tin, folks! OnePlus is permanently removing the invite system for the OnePlus 2, opening up sales to anyone who wants one. The cheaper X is only temporarily going invite free, however, between December 5 and Dec. 7.

I personally think this is a good thing, because this means OnePlus (and their parent company) are finally confident that they can ship in larger numbers. Do you guys think we will see a lot more OnePlus purchases in the future?

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

but.... I allrdy have my new phone :(

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

-snip-

They dont have the Ceramic OnePlus X for sale yet either  :(

Groomlake Authority

This is really good news. For the longest time I was thinking about getting the one plus 2, but the stupid invite system always ticked me off.

Its nice to know that when my phones does give out, I wont have to scour the web for an invite...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I thought the Ceramic was a limited thing anyway??

Either way, the one plus 2 isn't as good as the 1 was when it came out. The 1 had everything you'd ever want, but the 2? No NFC or OLED Display? Only 1080p too? 

I can't look at a screen unless it's OLED now that I have used a Note 4 and moto X so long. 

-snip-

Yeah i know, when it aint OLED, its like looking at a display from the late 90's ... :D. Well they said the Ceramic had 10,000 units made, so theoretically there are still 9,995 available to sell :P, due to that charity envent on ebay. I contacted one of the guys earlier this week, he told me to be on the lookout on theyr blog for info regarding the yet upcoming availability of the Ceramic edition, but i dunno about them... OnePlus service doesnt usually aknowledge what i tell them in english and its quite frustrating actually.

Groomlake Authority

Either way, the one plus 2 isn't as good as the 1 was when it came out. The 1 had everything you'd ever want, but the 2? No NFC or OLED Display? Only 1080p too? 

I can't look at a screen unless it's OLED now that I have used a Note 4 and moto X so long. 

I was a huge fan of the OnePlus One and still use it now but as soon as the 2 came out i was disappointed.

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I was a huge fan of the OnePlus One and still use it now but as soon as the 2 came out i was disappointed.

Exactly my thoughts. I remember getting the one plus one invite and scrambling to get my money together into one account to buy it. Well bank transfers take 5 days if there's a weekend and I didn't have the money in time. Glad I went with Note 4 though. 

This is really good news. For the longest time I was thinking about getting the one plus 2, but the stupid invite system always ticked me off.

Its nice to know that when my phones does give out, I wont have to scour the web for an invite...

Saw some are even selling those invites. To buy a invite just to buy a stupid phone, is like spending real money on Get out of Jail Free cards in Monopoly.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Exactly my thoughts. I remember getting the one plus one invite and scrambling to get my money together into one account to buy it. Well bank transfers take 5 days if there's a weekend and I didn't have the money in time. Glad I went with Note 4 though. 

It took me a month to get an invite. Lucky there was a California invite thread and I was pretty early on the list. I'm member 101,500ish on their forms, now they are now in the high 700,000's.

Was so excited when it arrived. Was glad to say goodbye to my (at the time current) iPhone 5S, that thing was terrible.

Its still my daily driver. Hopefully it will get Marshmallow?

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Some lack of features is annoying, but honestly what do you expect at that price? It can't have everything a $700 phone has at half the cost. The only additions I wish they had were nfc and an sd card slot.

Some lack of features is annoying, but honestly what do you expect at that price? It can't have everything a $700 phone has at half the cost. The only additions I wish they had were nfc and an sd card slot.

Yes it fkin can, wtf do you mean did you see the oneplus one?? It was THE BEST PHONE OF 2014. Why cuz it had everything INCLUDING NFC... YET IT STILL WAS CHEAPER THAN THE 2 so shutup dude ofcourse it couldve had nfc theres no doubt. It wouldnt have added any cost.

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

It's too late oneplus. Due to your invite system, I already have a wonderful new Nexus 6p...

Likewise; I probably would've jumped on the OnePlus 2 at launch had I been able to -- partly out of desperation to replace my iPhone 4 by almost any means possible, admittedly. It's not perfect by any means but it ticks a lot of the right boxes and is certainly up there in terms of value. I was even on the verge of convincing myself that USB Type C would be an acceptable trade-off for the lack of removable storage... even though it really isn't.

Either way, glad I was forced to hold off because now I've got a Droid 2 Turbo / X Force on its way. Hope OnePlus learns its lessons, at the very least about the invite system; it might've generated a lot of hype and publicity first time around, and no doubt will have helped them phase their hardware production to get off the ground, but it's not a smart long-term model if they want to compete with the big players. They hit a fairly good launch/release window but totally wasted it by not being able to deliver.

But when 1+1 came out, it had all flagship features of the time. 

But when 1+1 came out, it had all flagship features of the time. 

I shouldn't have to say this, but thanks for actually replying unlike @Zaryab.

Yes it fkin can, wtf do you mean did you see the oneplus one?? It was THE BEST PHONE OF 2014. Why cuz it had everything INCLUDING NFC... YET IT STILL WAS CHEAPER THAN THE 2 so shutup dude ofcourse it couldve had nfc theres no doubt. It wouldnt have added any cost.

You should calm down. I did mention I would like to see NFC and a microSD card slot. Other than that it's not lacking many features.

It lacks a better screen and water resistance, but neither one of those were on the 1+1 anyways. A better screen would cost more money. They also probably had to spend more money on the internals than the last one. Now I'm not saying that it's impossible to make it better for the same price, but why are you guys complaining about the 1+2, when other smartphone manufacturers are making pretty similar phones for 2x the price. Why is no one complaining about those phones being completely overpriced?

It lacks a better screen and water resistance, but neither one of those were on the 1+1 anyways. A better screen would cost more money. They also probably had to spend more money on the internals than the last one. Now I'm not saying that it's impossible to make it better for the same price, but why are you guys complaining about the 1+2, when other smartphone manufacturers are making pretty similar phones for 2x the price. Why is no one complaining about those phones being completely overpriced?

That's because other phones you don't buy out right. It's an unfortunate circumstance of the mobile carrier's grip on the industry. Either way, hardly anyone gets a phone out right nowadays, but One Plus is pushing the market in the right direction. 

That's because other phones you don't buy out right. It's an unfortunate circumstance of the mobile carrier's grip on the industry. Either way, hardly anyone gets a phone out right nowadays, but One Plus is pushing the market in the right direction. 

Other phones are available to buy out right so it's a valid comparison. If someone doesn't buy out right, then I don't see why they don't just go with a flagship.

On a side note, I feel like we as tech enthusiasts need to inform everyone about the LUDICROUS prices on new smartphones. People spends thousands of dollars every couple years on new phones but don't even realize it. Most of the time its a 200 dollar upfront cost with the rest put in monthly bills so they don't even realize it. I'm on T-Mobile and my 4 line plan is only 100-120 (I forget exactly how much) per month, not including phones which I buy out right. My friends are often paying 200 dollars or more per month because of the cost of phones in their contract and the high cost of plans from most other carriers (notably verizon or att).

Other phones are available to buy out right so it's a valid comparison. If someone doesn't buy out right, then I don't see why they don't just go with a flagship.

On a side note, I feel like we as tech enthusiasts need to inform everyone about the LUDICROUS prices on new smartphones. People spends thousands of dollars every couple years on new phones but don't even realize it. Most of the time its a 200 dollar upfront cost with the rest put in monthly bills so they don't even realize it. I'm on T-Mobile and my 4 line plan is only 100-120 (I forget exactly how much) per month, not including phones which I buy out right. My friends are often paying 200 dollars or more per month because of the cost of phones in their contract and the high cost of plans from most other carriers (notably verizon or att).

Yeah, I ALWAYS tell people to never get a subsidized phone. You end up paying way more than the phone is worth. They'd rather have a new phone now than wait a little longer and pay way less and have a cheaper bill.. I plan on getting my next phone used. But I just had to have the note 4 and now I'm paying like $780 for it lol .

About time OnePlus actually comes through on something like this. Wasn't the OnePlus One supposed to be invite free almost half a year before it was? Ridiculous.

Their invite system is one of the main reasons I gave up on that phone. Interestingly enough once I purchased my Note 5 (which cost me only $50 more than the OnePlus would have, and it's a much better device) I kept getting invites. I still get about 3 or 4 a month.

Always a day late and penny short, OnePlus.

What makes you want the ceramic one? I don't really see the appeal. It's not like it has much better spec inside it or something.

Chances are by that time there will be a much better device out.
The OnePlus 2 was rather disappointing.

I went with the Note 5, definitely the right choice! Couldn't be happier, and I think as long as they don't do anything stupid like inflate the size I'll be grabbing a Note 6 this year.

Saw some are even selling those invites. To buy a invite just to buy a stupid phone, is like spending real money on Get out of Jail Free cards in Monopoly.

Eh, if it's $10 or $20 it's worth it if it's something you really want. That amount is minimal in the grand scheme of the cost of the phone.

It's not like the OnePlus One where invites are selling for hundreds of dollars.

It's too late oneplus. Due to your invite system, I already have a wonderful new Nexus 6p...

You're much better off ;)

Did you forget to take your Midol today? Seriously, that's no way to talk to other members on the forum.

And yes, NFC does add cost to the manufacture of the device.

The OnePlus One was arguably the best device of 2014. I didn't like it. Therefore it wasn't the best to me, as well as some reviewers.

I shouldn't have to say this, but thanks for actually replying unlike @Zaryab.

You should calm down. I did mention I would like to see NFC and a microSD card slot. Other than that it's not lacking many features.

Honestly, a lot of these phones are higher priced but have nicer builds. They also have much more mature OS's. The OnePlus has a lot of bugs.

Also, the other companies actually invest into R&D and further the development of components within the phone. Their designing SoC's to compete with the others, they're improving on the displays, etc etc.

Is OnePlus? No.

If we saw every single manufacturer race to the bottom price wise, then we'd simply see less and less innovation year over year, and components would see much longer advancement cycles.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I went with the Note 5, definitely the right choice! Couldn't be happier, and I think as long as they don't do anything stupid like inflate the size I'll be grabbing a Note 6 this year.

Yeah, I wanted a pressure sensitive stylus, so that was my only option. At the time there was only rumors about note 5 not having a removable battery and SD card (I needed both). I have over 100 games for several systems on my phone, I can pair it with a tv and some controllers and me and my friends can PS1 it up allllll night on my phone, when it dies, I just pop in a new battery. The only thing I want from the Note 5 is that clicky stylus lol 

Eh, if it's $10 or $20 it's worth it if it's something you really want. That amount is minimal in the grand scheme of the cost of the phone.

It's not like the OnePlus One where invites are selling for hundreds of dollars.

Well other phones don't require you to buy a piece of paper first just to buy a new phone. The invite system is stupid and it's probably the only reason why their phones are "popular". Sadly, the invite system to them is a success, cause without it, them trying to compete with the big boys will be quite difficult.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

About time OnePlus actually comes through on something like this. Wasn't the OnePlus One supposed to be invite free almost half a year before it was? Ridiculous.

Their invite system is one of the main reasons I gave up on that phone. Interestingly enough once I purchased my Note 5 (which cost me only $50 more than the OnePlus would have, and it's a much better device) I kept getting invites. I still get about 3 or 4 a month.

Always a day late and penny short, OnePlus.

What makes you want the ceramic one? I don't really see the appeal. It's not like it has much better spec inside it or something.

Chances are by that time there will be a much better device out.

The OnePlus 2 was rather disappointing.

You're much better off ;)

Did you forget to take your Midol today? Seriously, that's no way to talk to other members on the forum.

And yes, NFC does add cost to the manufacture of the device.

The OnePlus One was arguably the best device of 2014. I didn't like it. Therefore it wasn't the best to me, as well as some reviewers.

Honestly, a lot of these phones are higher priced but have nicer builds. They also have much more mature OS's. The OnePlus has a lot of bugs.

Also, the other companies actually invest into R&D and further the development of components within the phone. Their designing SoC's to compete with the others, they're improving on the displays, etc etc.

Is OnePlus? No.

If we saw every single manufacturer race to the bottom price wise, then we'd simply see less and less innovation year over year, and components would see much longer advancement cycles.

I don't know what you mean. Other than samsung don't most buy components from others? RAM is samsung/hynix or whatever, displays for LG or another manufacturer, and SoC's from Samsung of Qualcomm, and sony image sensors. Who actually makes things other than OS tweaks?