Should America ban guns?

Outright ban guns? No.

Have better control over who can own one and crack down on the illegal gun sells/importation? Yes.

Concur. I think it's more important to enforce current laws than to make new ones.

TopDollar, on 02 Dec 2015 - 7:56 PM, said:snapback.png

Absolutely incorrect. Purchasing a firearm at a gun show has the same exact federal and state requirements as it does from any where else. The only situation this does not apply is private individual sales.

actually there is no law that requires background check in private sales it is up to the seller (in most states)

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map.html

That is what I said.

Did not read your post because of this. If you cannot be bothered to take others seriously enough to read their thoughts and opinions, do not expect me or anyone else extend you that favor.

You should read it. I take everything seriously. I have no need to read the debate this time that has taken place here oh I lost count how many times before your thread, so I can tell you what was said without reading it.

Beside you will be surprised by what I posted. Don't be so quick to respond next time.

*edit

P.S. I did not say i could not be bothered to read previous posts. I stated it to let people know I didn't in case somebody already made the same point previous to my making a reply.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That is what I said.

yes but many of the vendors in gun shows are considered private sellers 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

By the way, I live not too far away from the shooting today in SoCal, about 10 miles south of San Bernardino. I can tell you the incident was insane. I actually drove by on the I-215 to I-10 on my way home today right as it was unfolding. A lot of schools, public, govt buildings, etc are still shut down and on lockdown. 

Regardless, banning guns shouldn't be an option. People with ill intent will still have access to guns while lawful citizens wont if a gun ban is in effect.

California has an ban on large capacity magazines, fully automatic long guns, and yet these sickos still had access to fully automatic long guns (presumable AK-47s). The ban didn't stop them, did it? (rhetorical question to point out how effective an ban actually is.)

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

By the way, I live not too far away from the shooting today in SoCal, about 10 miles south of San Bernardino. I can tell you the incident was insane. I actually drove by on the I-215 to I-10 on my way home today right as it was unfolding. A lot of schools, public, govt buildings, etc are still shut down and on lockdown. 

Regardless, banning guns shouldn't be an option. People with ill intent will still have access to guns while lawful citizens wont if a gun ban is in effect.

California has an ban on large capacity magazines, fully automatic long guns, and yet these sickos still had access to fully automatic long guns (presumable AK-47s). The ban didn't stop them, did it? (rhetorical question to point out how effective an ban actually is.)

Exactly as long a black market exist gun bans do nothing but hurt the legal (and responsible) gun owners.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Mental Illness - No gun/take gun away

Not a US Citizen - No gun

Criminal Record - No gun

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Maybe different states have better laws, but here in Massachusetts you cannot walk out the door with a gun on the same day.  

If I'm defensive in any way whatsoever, it isn't became I'm an American so much as I use to believe in fewer gun laws and as of recently, I think it would be better to enforce strict regulations ... ie... I've come to believe my original idea concerning guns was wrong.   We need a lot more regulations and if I had the authority, I'd even seek to rewrite the constitution to enforce those restrictions.

The whole idea of a gun for anyone who wants one isn't working, isn't a good idea, and what we have now in place isn't enough to prevent what keeps happening here.   

Obama said something I am forced to agree with... This doesn't happen in any other civilized society, only here (America).   He's right.  Something needs to give.  We have a problem and we need to face it.

Well, atleast we agree on one thing :) The US needs stricter gun laws.

Just to be clear, I have not read anywhere the shooters were using automatic weapons (I could be wrong though). One source said AR style rifles, but most have just said long guns. I do very much agree with your post though, don't get me wrong.

Our national regulations are a joke. A big fat trade show joke. What relevance is there if one city has regulations when you can drive 1-3 hours away and go to another county/state without them?

In Iowa (for example) You cannot buy a gun with out a purchase permit or a ccw period. Also you cannot purchase a gun without a NICs check (federally mandated all states must comply) done on site whether it is in a store or at a trade show. This is common in most states. The whole pooint of a purchase permit is the background is made prior to the purchase and the NICs check is to make sure noting has happened since the permit was issued.

Pretty basic stuff there I would say. There is a lot of misinformation out there about this process.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well, atleast we agree on one thing :) The US needs stricter gun laws.

? Not stricter gun laws. We have strict gun laws. We have over 20k federal laws on guns plus whatever laws that states have.

What we need is enforced gun laws.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hell no.

The gun has always been the great equalizer.

Since it's conception, the victor of fights did not have to be the biggest and strongest, it was the most skillful, or even the luckiest.

The gun is what allowed American freedom, as a common farmer would not have the ability to wield a sword like a british soldier could.

I actually have been asked: If jesus came down to earth and asked "should I make all guns dissapear?" I would still say know.

it's not an issue of who has them.

I have been accused of saying this just because of the "hardon" of owning a gun.

But tell me, when big Bubbah comes marching down the alley, 6'4" and could kill you with his hands, do you want to fist fight him, or fight him with a bullet?

The magic of a gun, is that it doesn't discriminate targets. A bullet doesn't get scared of the big guy.

against guns, we are all equals, and in a world where people will want to kill others, I'd rather it be on equal terms.

Did not read your post because of this. If you cannot be bothered to take others seriously enough to read their thoughts and opinions, do not expect me or anyone else extend you that favor.

Honestly the pages are going up so fast I don't really blame him

? Not stricter gun laws. We have strict gun laws. We have over 20k federal laws on guns plus whatever laws that states have.

What we need is enforced gun laws.

Not only that, but you NEED stricter gun laws. All they do Is a 5 minute background check, and even If you dont pass theres still a big chance you'll be able to purchase a firearm.

Honestly the pages are going up so fast I don't really blame him

Yup and beside whats the point of reading a rehash of this topic that has been debated on this site (i have lost count how many times) and just post my point.  ;)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Not only that, but you NEED stricter gun laws. All they do Is a 5 minute background check, and even If you dont pass theres still a big chance you'll be able to purchase a firearm.

Nope, the NICs takes 15 min, the permit to purchase takes 14-20 days to perform the background check thtas why it takes 30 days to get you permit after applying for it.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It should be manditory that everyone owns guns

Exactly how would that make anyone safer?

Exactly how would that make anyone safer?

In many many ways, look up Switzerland's crime rate.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Nope, the NICs takes 15 min, the permit to purchase takes 14-20 days to perform the background check thtas why it takes 30 days to get you permit after applying for it.

Question:  If people on the federal terrorist watch list (as in not allowed to even be on a commercial flight) are allowed to get a gun, who the heck is turned away by your background checks?  :blink:

Question:  If people on the federal terrorist watch list (as in not allowed to even be on a commercial flight) are allowed to get a gun, who the heck is turned away by your background checks?  :blink:

Didn't say it was perfect, thats just how it is supposed to work (you and I have had this conversion in the last thread)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Didn't say it was perfect, thats just how it is supposed to work (you and I have had this conversion in the last thread)

I was actually hoping there was more to it...

So I guess it's back to the fact that violence makes money for many people.  It's all about the "socio-economics"?.?.

I was actually hoping there was more to it...

So I guess it's back to the fact that violence makes money for many people.  It's all about the "socio-economics"?.?.

Honestly I wish it did work properly but its a government run program so that speaks volumes on its own...

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Honestly I wish it did work properly but its a government run program so that speaks volumes on its own...

Nah, don't blame the entity... it is the people.  No offense, but a minority of bad policy makers have dug a deep hole.  Show me the money!