Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

I can maybe afford to buy a better cpu cooler after buying the q9650, on that g31-vs2 mobo you think its a good idea to overclock? Keeping in mind its there is a old generic psu.

With motherboards like that you only overclock dual cores. Quad cores can only manage a minimal overclock at best with motherboards like that+weak/generic PSU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

With motherboards like that you only overclock dual cores. Quad cores can only manage a minimal overclock at best with motherboards like that+weak/generic PSU.

alright makes sens

btw... dont get high hopes for that computer.. I'm siting on the fourth mobo  atm...  lga775 motherboards are so bad.. that probably is gonna work for a year or two .. and then its gonna die... and yes.. first one was asrock, second asrock, the third msi.. and now I'm on msi again.. so... its genuine trash

i have a system with a foxcon/hp board thats been running strong for 7-8 years maybe even longer, i dont know when it was built all i know is that it has an e2200 and a foxcon/hp board

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

i have a system with a foxcon/hp board thats been running strong for 7-8 years maybe even longer, i dont know when it was built all i know is that it has an e2200 and a foxcon/hp board

That's one of the better LGA775 manufacturers.

PMSL

LOLOL everyone is after him now for his statement.

That's one of the better LGA775 manufacturers.

really? then i should be ok upgrading the cpu to a c2q9400 and overclocking it a bit

whatever lga775 is old but strong

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

It was false though, and everyone else has motherboards not made by the worst manufacturers of LGA775 motherboards.

really? then i should be ok upgrading the cpu to a c2q9400 and overclocking it a bit

It depends on whether or not its on the compatibility list, how good the motherboard is (it can be of a high quality but still be limited as to how much you can overclock) and how good the PSU is.

PMSL

It was false though, and everyone else has motherboards not made by the worst manufacturers of LGA775 motherboards.

It depends on whether or not its on the compatibility list, how good the motherboard is (it can be of a high quality but still be limited as to how much you can overclock) and how good the PSU is.

well i'm not sure exactly what model it is, and i already plan on replacing the psu since i plan on putting in a dedicated gpu in it, well i plan on doing a decent overhaul on it aka getting more ram better cpu better gpu, better psu, better cooler, the motherboard only has 2 slots so i'm guessing its a lower end model

Spoiler

Foxconn has been around forever. Look at any motherboard made and almost all the connectors and various other components will be Foxconn-manufactured. Their boards are usually downright bulletproof.

I've had the chance to put a lot of 775 boards through the wringer over the years, it's still one of the most versatile and downright durable platforms around. I've even got an ECS P45 board that has survived very high overclocks on E8400s, and they're extremely spotty when it comes to quality.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Foxconn has been around forever. Look at any motherboard made and almost all the connectors and various other components will be Foxconn-manufactured. Their boards are usually downright bulletproof.

I've had the chance to put a lot of 775 boards through the wringer over the years, it's still one of the most versatile and downright durable platforms around. I've even got an ECS P45 board that has survived very high overclocks on E8400s, and they're extremely spotty when it comes to quality.

I've got an E6500K that survived a week of 2.2V @ the frequency wall of 4.4GHz......and my P5Q Deluxe is still going just fine. Although I think I killed my Xeon however.

PMSL

never new foxcon were good, i always thought they were one of the worse cheap guys

Spoiler

Might want something with more cache, Q9400 has its L2 cache cut by half vs the Q9650 which has the full 12MB. C2Q ending with 50 has the full cache size.

never new foxcon were good, i always thought they were one of the worse cheap guys

They're average, not the best nor the worst.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Might want something with more cache, Q9400 has its L2 cache cut by half vs the Q9650 which has the full 12MB. C2Q ending with 50 has the full cache size.

They're average, not the best nor the worst.

thats the only c2q that is on craigslist in/near Minneapolis so i'm sort of stuck with it but its still a good upgrade compared to the e2200 thats currently in the system

Spoiler

thats the only c2q that is on craigslist in/near Minneapolis so i'm sort of stuck with it but its still a good upgrade compared to the e2200 thats currently in the system

Plenty of used C2Q on Amazon

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Plenty of used C2Q on Amazon

And Ebay.

PMSL

The Q9650 is definitely a lot better of a cpu than the Q6600, but it is also a lot more expensive.  A few years ago I was still messing around with LGA 775 boards.  Both of those cpus can be overclocked substantially.  I don't remember how high I got the Q6600, I want to say 3.4 Ghz.  That cpu was extremely hot and I was not happy with 3.4Ghz so I moved on.  The Q9650 I had running at 4.1 GHz for over a year on a hyper 212, but I had a nice Gigabyte board that had ich10 chipset and was a beast for overclocking.  It was a great cpu.  Coolest part was I bought it used on ebay for 100, ran it for a year, then sold it for 95 on ebay! 

I wouldn't pay over $20 for a Q6600 only because I have bought more than one for that price, it's probably a steal but the market is the market.  The higher clocked 45 nm LGA 775 cpus like the Q9650 are probably still fetching a good amount.

I also overclocked a few of the dual cores while I was messing around.  Some of those cpus are so cheap it's crazy, and they are still way beyond capable.

The Q9650 is definitely a lot better of a cpu than the Q6600, but it is also a lot more expensive.  A few years ago I was still messing around with LGA 775 boards.  Both of those cpus can be overclocked substantially.  I don't remember how high I got the Q6600, I want to say 3.4 Ghz.  That cpu was extremely hot and I was not happy with 3.4Ghz so I moved on.  The Q9650 I had running at 4.1 GHz for over a year on a hyper 212, but I had a nice Gigabyte board that had ich10 chipset and was a beast for overclocking.  It was a great cpu.  Coolest part was I bought it used on ebay for 100, ran it for a year, then sold it for 95 on ebay! 

I wouldn't pay over $20 for a Q6600 only because I have bought more than one for that price, it's probably a steal but the market is the market.  The higher clocked 45 nm LGA 775 cpus like the Q9650 are probably still fetching a good amount.

I also overclocked a few of the dual cores while I was messing around.  Some of those cpus are so cheap it's crazy, and they are still way beyond capable.

Yea it is amazing, have you messed around with the Pentium Dual-Core E2160? That thing overlclocks like a bat out of hell and being at 1.8Ghz stock a 3+Ghz overclock is extremely noticeable 

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Yea it is amazing, have you messed around with the Pentium Dual-Core E2160? That thing overlclocks like a bat out of hell and being at 1.8Ghz stock a 3+Ghz overclock is extremely noticeable 

I hadn't even heard of it until I just looked it up to be honest!  I overclocked a few single core pentiums and one of the original dual core pentiums, I think pentium d?  But otherwise just e6x00 and the two quad cores.

I hadn't even heard of it until I just looked it up to be honest! I overclocked a few single core pentiums and one of the original dual core pentiums, I think pentium d? But otherwise just e6x00 and the two quad cores.

Yea the 2160 is almost same performance wise as the original Pentium Ds (netbust) at stock but when overclocked can be compared to or even better in some cases the Core 2 Duos around 2.66Ghz

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

did some oc and ran cb. It's at 3.8GHz

post-145129-0-98344900-1449117686_thumb.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

And Ebay.

Ye best bet is ebay, well atleast in canada i could not find any cheap ones besides ebay

Ye best bet is ebay, well atleast in canada i could not find any cheap ones besides ebay

Even in Australia I can find cheap ones (or their Xeon equivalent-still got 2 motherboards with the LGA771-775 mod+4 spare stickers).

PMSL

Luckily for me i can get the q9650 it for around  50-70$ in Canada

Luckily for me i can get the q9650 it for around  50-70$ in Canada

Which is about the cost of an LGA771 Xeon which needs a physical mod to the motherboard for LGA775. So its better value.

PMSL

I've got an E6500K that survived a week of 2.2V @ the frequency wall of 4.4GHz......and my P5Q Deluxe is still going just fine. Although I think I killed my Xeon however.

4,4GHz with Vcore = 2,2V ?

Wow... U got one shitty CPU :D

I did 4,37GHz (that's 30MHz less), with 1,52V : LINK (and it is bench stable : LINK).

And Yes, I know... E5400 isn't exacly a 6500k, but if U OC them - what's the difference again ;)

Also Q9650 is NOT worth 45$ (or 20$ extra), when U can have a Q6600/Q6700 for 25$.

Q6600 G0 can do 3GHz with 1333MHz FSB (by "BSEL mod").

Not sure about the older B3 stepping tho (I didn't play with it).

As for IPC/frequency difference : Q6xxx = Q9x0x at same Frequency/FSB.

Q9x50 are faster - True.

But that 50% extra cache won't make unplayable game, playable.

Showing is belivng :

Q6700 @ 3,69GHz with GTX 780 Ti vs. "few games" : LINK,

Xeon E5440 @ 3,69GHz with GTX 780 Ti vs. "few games" : LINK

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64