Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

hey guys, i have this old office pc I've been using for awhile now. It has a Pentium d 945 at 3.4ghz, 2gb of ddr2 ram, no gpu and an old 54000rpm HD, 500w psu. I dont want to spend more then 100-150$ for upgrading or even getting a new system. I have alot of old stuff lying around, i have 4gb (2x2gb ddr2 800mhz), a hd 7770, a Kingston v300 ssd 64gb from an old rig. I plan to upgrade the pc with all these parts, only issue is i don't have a cpu. i found a Intel core 2 quad q9650 on ebay for 77$ used. Do you guys think i should go ahead and spend the money on such a old cpu? I could start to save for a brand new system, its just that i'm tight on money right now and cant afford to save alot.  Btw the mobo is asrock G31M-Vs2.

Please let me know any thoughts or tips you guys have and obviously if its worth it.

thanks

god no, you can get a Q6600 in the UK for £20

q6600 is older and slower the q9650, and i live in canada not the UK

god no, you can get a Q6600 in the UK for £20

If your worried about the motherboard it supports all of the desktop Core 2 Duo range, so its fine-its better than my P5K VM which handled a QX6850 quite well. And if you think a Q6600 is better, Q9650 spanks them.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G31M-VS2/

hey guys, i have this old office pc I've been using for awhile now. It has a Pentium d 945 at 3.4ghz, 2gb of ddr2 ram, no gpu and an old 54000rpm HD, 500w psu. I dont want to spend more then 100-150$ for upgrading or even getting a new system. I have alot of old stuff lying around, i have 4gb (2x2gb ddr2 800mhz), a hd 7770, a Kingston v300 ssd 64gb from an old rig. I plan to upgrade the pc with all these parts, only issue is i don't have a cpu. i found a Intel core 2 quad q9650 on ebay for 77$ used. Do you guys think i should go ahead and spend the money on such a old cpu? I could start to save for a brand new system, its just that i'm tight on money right now and cant afford to save alot.  Btw the mobo is asrock G31M-Vs2.

Please let me know any thoughts or tips you guys have and obviously if its worth it.

thanks

That should be a nice upgrade.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If your worried about the motherboard it supports all of the desktop Core 2 Duo range, so its fine-its better than my P5K VM which handled a QX6850 quite well. And if you think a Q6600 is better, Q9650 spanks them.

now that mug brought it up, i found a q6600 on ebay for 25$. I will not be OCing. Is paying 45$ more for the q9650 worth?

now that mug brought it up, i found a q6600 on ebay for 25$. I will not be OCing. Is paying 45$ more for the q9650 worth?

Yes, definitely. With it you get the improvements of the shrink from 65nm to 45nm (eg lower power consumption), a higher clock speed, a 5% IPC difference and newer instruction sets that improve performance in newer programs.

PMSL

Yes, definitely. With it you get the improvements of the shrink from 65nm to 45nm (eg lower power consumption), a higher clock speed, a 5% IPC difference and newer instruction sets that improve performance in newer programs.

Thanks alot man, appreciate the input!

Thanks alot man, appreciate the input!

I'm also saying this after buying my QX6850 after I bought my Xeon X5450 (which is about the same as the Q9650 except for being binned a lot higher-just for LGA771, although it can be used in LGA775 sockets with a mod). The Xeon X5450 is the same clock speed as the QX6850 and everything runs far better on the Xeon

PMSL

btw... dont get high hopes for that computer.. I'm siting on the fourth mobo  atm...  lga775 motherboards are so bad.. that probably is gonna work for a year or two .. and then its gonna die... and yes.. first one was asrock, second asrock, the third msi.. and now I'm on msi again.. so... its genuine trash

btw... dont get high hopes for that computer.. I'm siting on the fourth mobo  atm...  lga775 motherboards are so bad.. that probably is gonna work for a year or two .. and then its gonna die... and yes.. first one was asrock, second asrock, the third msi.. and now I'm on msi again.. so... its genuine trash

What were the PSU? Even the best motherboard won't last long with bad PSU-it took a 2.2V Pentium 4 631 to kill my P5K VM. And that thing was used 24/7 from 2009-2013 for recording TV programs until analogue signals were phased out (it was being used with a PCI TV tuner card).

PMSL

My point is: is it 3x better? Does the q6600 or other older processors not provide better value for money?

hmm you are really out of luck, i have an lga 775 board that have been working fine for the past 8 years! (old workstation board with a q6600 converted to a t.v. console 5 years ago)

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

My point is: is it 3x better? Does the q6600 or other older processors not provide better value for money?

No, they don't.

PMSL

At stock speeds the q6600 has a really rough time. Get it over 3.4 and you do quite well.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

btw... dont get high hopes for that computer.. I'm siting on the fourth mobo atm... lga775 motherboards are so bad.. that probably is gonna work for a year or two .. and then its gonna die... and yes.. first one was asrock, second asrock, the third msi.. and now I'm on msi again.. so... its genuine trash

Chipset and quality play a big part with 775 boards. Better the chipset generally means a higher quality board. MSI and AsRock were very poor at that time, especially on the cheaper end. Asus and EVGA were kicking ass and taking names, Gigabyte was mediocre and Biostar was still available.

With 775 you get what you pay for.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Chipset and quality play a big part with 775 boards. Better the chipset generally means a higher quality board. MSI and AsRock were very poor at that time, especially on the cheaper end. Asus and EVGA were kicking ass and taking names, Gigabyte was mediocre and Biostar was still available.

With 775 you get what you pay for.

too bad I dont care... these posts always go far away from what people are asking.. soo.. whatever man... its not like I dont know this.. bakwan said he's got the asrock with g31 chipset.. so.. I just said its bad... you... I dunno how are you helping him with this....

Q6600 is not the must have quad core, just because ltt using it, its the must have cpu. And there are 2 revisions of them, the first one wasn't that good. All quads after the q6000 series runs at a newer process and faster fsb.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

btw... dont get high hopes for that computer.. I'm siting on the fourth mobo atm... lga775 motherboards are so bad.. that probably is gonna work for a year or two .. and then its gonna die... and yes.. first one was asrock, second asrock, the third msi.. and now I'm on msi again.. so... its genuine trash

All those motherboards are bad on the 775 platform, ASUS, Intel Gigabyte, Foxxcon, EVGA and XFX were the best (kind of still are) It has nothing to do with the platform but the manufacturers of the board. All my LGA 775 boards are working like champs except my 780i which appears to be a bad bios but still works but only with certain GPUs. Also I had 2 dead ASRock 775 boards and 3 dead MSI 775 based boards, both companies were bad then and have improved in quality over the years but due to my experience with them (yours also I assume) I will not buy any ASRock or MSI products new or used.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I got my Q9400 for 50€, so search for cheaper

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

I have a Gigabyte Mobo for 7 years now & nothing bad happened with it [emoji52]

too bad I dont care... these posts always go far away from what people are asking.. soo.. whatever man... its not like I dont know this.. bakwan said he's got the asrock with g31 chipset.. so.. I just said its bad... you... I dunno how are you helping him with this....

post-187531-0-80894000-1449073167.jpg

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

ive been using this lga 775 mobo for 6 years now and another pc also has the lga775 running the e8400 working completely fine for 5 years now. You just had bad luck man

Its pretty crazy how these 6 year old processors are stilling running good beyond basic computing needs

Yep. Though from my experience you always want them to be at lest 3GHz at stock (19-21% bottleneck with my Xeon X5450+GTX970), with anything that's clocked higher being better of course.

PMSL

Yep. Though from my experience you always want them to be at lest 3GHz at stock (19-21% bottleneck with my Xeon X5450+GTX970), with anything that's clocked higher being better of course.

I can maybe afford to buy a better cpu cooler after buying the q9650, on that g31-vs2 mobo you think its a good idea to overclock? Keeping in mind its there is a old generic psu.