Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650

i just hate it because it seems like anywhere else but here everyone says to get the 6300 no matter what, i dont hate people that have it just the cpu, yeah me too last thing i want would be a dead 775 board, since i dont want to go searching for one for my brother xD

Exactly! There are so many better cpus to chose from and its old, i never understood why people always suggest it. Its like people always aimlessly suggesting g3258 because they saw some benchmark videos. Im not saying its a bad cpu, there both great for what they were made for, but don't suggest it when other options are worth it over this.

I never understood the aimless hate people have for amd cpus, you get what you pay for, and its a damn good cpu for the price you pay. The 6300 is a good cpu for price rang and tier it focuses on. I used the 8320 for 2 years before i was able to afford myself 4790k, it was an awesome chip for my needs and price.

3 words: Screw AMD's CMT

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 words: Screw AMD's CMT

hopefully they get there act together with zen SMT.

hopefully they get there act together with zen SMT.

Yeah.....though it might end up only being a real upgrade from Sandybridge and older platforms (except LGA775/1366 Xeons)-that's if its any where near Haswell in performance.

PMSL

Yeah.....though it might end up only being a real upgrade from Sandybridge and older platforms (except LGA775/1366 Xeons)-that's if its any where near Haswell in performance.

I would chose am3+ platform with a 8350 over a lga775 any day, but maybe not after 775. Zen is apparently supposed to finally bring AMD back to the higher end like they used before, so hopefully it is near haswell or better.

I would chose am3+ platform with a 8350 over a lga775 any day, but maybe not after 775. Zen is apparently supposed to finally bring AMD back to the higher end like they used before, so hopefully it is near haswell or better.

2x Xeon X5470+cheap dual socket workstation motherboard (you can find them in the ATX form factor)+BSEL mod so that both run at 4GHz=better single threaded and multi threaded performance than an FX 8350.... :ph34r:   And with the way AMD has been acting prior to and after the launch of Bulldozer, I don't trust the predictions for Zen.

PMSL

2x Xeon X5470+cheap dual socket workstation motherboard (you can find them in the ATX form factor)+BSEL mod so that both run at 4GHz=better single threaded and multi threaded performance than an FX 8350.... :ph34r:   And with the way AMD has been acting prior to and after the launch of Bulldozer, I don't trust the predictions for Zen.

ok if you put it that way in terms of using dual xeons, and the extra work of BSEL mod then i guess its better, but how practical is that in the year 2015 LOL, Also that is a possibility, its all rumors until amd can actually show us the zen performance.

hey guys, i have this old office pc I've been using for awhile now. It has a Pentium d 945 at 3.4ghz, 2gb of ddr2 ram, no gpu and an old 54000rpm HD, 500w psu. I dont want to spend more then 100-150$ for upgrading or even getting a new system. I have alot of old stuff lying around, i have 4gb (2x2gb ddr2 800mhz), a hd 7770, a Kingston v300 ssd 64gb from an old rig. I plan to upgrade the pc with all these parts, only issue is i don't have a cpu. i found a Intel core 2 quad q9650 on ebay for 77$ used. Do you guys think i should go ahead and spend the money on such a old cpu? I could start to save for a brand new system, its just that i'm tight on money right now and cant afford to save alot.  Btw the mobo is asrock G31M-Vs2.

Please let me know any thoughts or tips you guys have and obviously if its worth it.

thanks

You said you're upgrading an old office PC, then what's the point of putting in a 7770. Unless you're planning on gaming on it too which would but arbitrary strain on such an old PSU. You can save money if you decide on selling the 7770 third-hand , sticking to onboard and putting the money toward a better CPU. Also what's the capacity on the HDD, and what sort of activities or software are you planning on running if it's an office setting pc

Is a vara bak wan

What?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

You said you're upgrading an old office PC, then what's the point of putting in a 7770. Unless you're planning on gaming on it too which would but arbitrary strain on such an old PSU. You can save money if you decide on selling the 7770 third-hand , sticking to onboard and putting the money toward a better CPU. Also what's the capacity on the HDD, and what sort of activities or software are you planning on running if it's an office setting pc

well i forgot to mention, the 7770 was being added so i can occasionally game on it, mostly low end games like cs go, or even the old crysis games, hence selling is not an option. The monitor is an old 720p monitor. q9650 is one of the affordable better cpus left for lga775, so a better cpu is not an option and spending more then 100$ on a old system, i might aswelll save and get a whole new system. I already have half of the parts. Besides occasional gaming just word documents, and web browsing for work related stuff. you think i should just start saving and just bear with this Pentium d for a few months? Most i can save by January latest is 100-200.

What?

OP's Username is an Ownage Pranks joke. 

well i forgot to mention, the 7770 was being added so i can occasionally game on it, mostly low end games like cs go, or even the old crysis games, hence selling is not an option. The monitor is an old 720p monitor. q9650 is one of the affordable better cpus left for lga775, so a better cpu is not an option and spending more then 100$ on a old system, i might aswelll save and get a whole new system. I already have half of the parts. Besides occasional gaming just word documents, and web browsing for work related stuff. you think i should just start saving and just bear with this Pentium d for a few months? Most i can save by January latest is 100-200.

Again, my concern is in regards to your old PSU and whether it can handle games such as Crysis - CS: GO. And if the most you can save by Jan is 200 then it's your call as to whether you want to put down that much onto a new CPU.

What?

Its an ownage pranks joke, similar to username

OP's Username is an Ownage Pranks joke. 

Again, my concern is in regards to your old PSU and whether it can handle games such as Crysis - CS: GO. And if the most you can save by Jan is 200 then it's your call as to whether you want to put down that much onto a new CPU.

AT LAST, some one recognized the joke! The psu is a 430w and the total power from the pc i think should be around 355w so this psu has some overhead. Im contemplating maybe go a low end amd route like 860k, 4gb ram, fm2 mobo, 430-500w psu and use the rest of the usable parts.

I'm surprised how far this post went. The linustechtips community is an awesome one ! Thanks again to everyone!