How much does Nvidia sell gpus to board partners for?

lexidobe

nobody knows...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have tried numerous times to find out, but my searches have returned nothing of value. It doesn't help given that for Google searches, GPU is synonymous with graphics card...

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Reverse math - take out the price of the cooler metal, the fan motors, the plastic for the shroud, the silicon for the PCB, the memory and you get a good estimate

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

$20? $50? $200?

Presumably, it depends on which GPU they're selling. I'd imagine a GTX 970's GPU is sold for around $200-$230. That's the one I searched specifically for, and that's the closest answer I could find.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Reverse math - take out the price of the cooler metal, the fan motors, the plastic for the shroud, the silicon for the PCB, the memory and you get a good estimate

i would think about 40% of the price you pay is the GPU die...30% is the cost of manufacturing and materials, and 30% is the profit margin...this is COMPLETELY numbers out of my ass though.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That's confidential information. There is a reason you don't know.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That's confidential information. There is a reason you don't know.

What would us knowing hurt?

i would think about 40% of the price you pay is the GPU die...30% is the cost of manufacturing and materials, and 30% is the profit margin...this is COMPLETELY numbers out of my ass though.

I can't break it down that much (ie. I would say its X% actual cost and (100-X)% profit margin) but I bet the profit is more than that.  Probably like 50% (but hey I'm totally guessing too :))

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

i would think about 40% of the price you pay is the GPU die...40% is the cost of manufacturing and materials, and 20% is the profit margin...this is COMPLETELY numbers out of my ass though.

Aluminum Price 0.67 USD/lb (1,470.48 USD/t | 1,388.23 EUR/t) 26 Nov 2015 - 52 Week Low 0.65 USD/lb 52 Week High 0.95 USD/lb.

Copper Prices and Copper Price Charts. Copper Price 2.12 USD/lb (4,666.97 USD/t | 4,405.92 EUR/t) 26 Nov 2015 - 52 Week Low 2.05 USD/lb 52 Week High 3.02 USD/lb.

Virgin PET plastic prices averaged £989 per tonne in September 2014, a decrease of £24 per tonne since August, and a fall of £202 per tonne since a year ago in September.

Reference 980 weighs in at about 3 pounds. - most of that is the cooler so assume that 2$ are spent on the aluminum, 6$ on the copper and about 1.5$ for the for the plastic + 50$ for the fan motors and what not - you pay around 60-70$ for the cooler of a reference 980

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

What would us knowing hurt?

Because you're not the one buying them...?

They dont give out unnecessary information that could potentially be used to target them.

Do you tell strangers how much money you have in your bank account? What would them knowing hurt?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Aluminum Price 0.67 USD/lb (1,470.48 USD/t | 1,388.23 EUR/t) 26 Nov 2015 - 52 Week Low 0.65 USD/lb 52 Week High 0.95 USD/lb.

Copper Prices and Copper Price Charts. Copper Price 2.12 USD/lb (4,666.97 USD/t | 4,405.92 EUR/t) 26 Nov 2015 - 52 Week Low 2.05 USD/lb 52 Week High 3.02 USD/lb.

Virgin PET plastic prices averaged £989 per tonne in September 2014, a decrease of £24 per tonne since August, and a fall of £202 per tonne since a year ago in September.

Reference 980 weighs in at about 3 pounds. - most of that is the cooler so assume that 2$ are spent on the aluminum, 6$ on the copper and about 1.5$ for the for the plastic + 50$ for the fan motors and what not - you pay around 60-70$ for the cooler of a reference 980

i was factoring in cost for actual MANUFACTURING and R&D and publicity...those cost a lot of money ;)

aftermarket cooling solutions...you know...the good ones ;)

For reference design they are built by nvidia themselves and then sent to OEM...

i was factoring in cost for actual MANUFACTURING and R&D and publicity...those cost a lot of money ;)

they mainly go into the GPU core though - the actual PCB has little complexity compared to the core

yeah.  Again, can't give any real numbers but that cost is mostly R&D recovery, manufacturing, and profit.  Actual materials are probably in the <$20 region for even the best cards.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would estimate about 80% of retail price.  The actual cost of manufacturing is < $10 for the GPU and PCB, but they need to recover engineering expenses.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

they mainly go into the GPU core though - the actual PCB has little complexity compared to the core

aftermarket cooling solutions...you know...the good ones ;)

For reference design they are built by nvidia themselves and then sent to OEM...

Presumably, it depends on which GPU they're selling. I'd imagine a GTX 970's GPU is sold for around $200-$230. That's the one I searched specifically for, and that's the closest answer I could find.

I doubt it. Don't forget the retailer has to make profit and pay tax(unlike Amazon). The graphic card partners have to make profit after all the expenses of R&D, manufacturing and marketing things. A retail $350 graphic card with a $200 GPU from Nvidia is not going to happen.

Some companies even make custom PCBs....

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Some companies even make custom PCBs....

Again - not as complex as the core itself - the core houses billions of transistors whereas the PCB houses less I believe

NVIDIA is a public company. You can see their profit margins if you want.

As for the cost of the materials of a GPU, I can help with the reverse math somewhat.

At MSRP retailers are making something along the lines of 10% gross margin after marketing kickbacks from NVIDIA and the board partner (usually a passthrough from NVIDIA in many cases that they spend discretionally)

Regional branches of board partners are making in the neighborhood of the same amount - I suspect quite a bit less in some cases. 

Where my knowledge gets fuzzy is in how much the HQ is making on it when they sell to the regional branch - this is how the math works in order to reduce the profitability of regional branches and minimize taxes. I suspect it's in the neighborhood of 20%-30% because of how frequently I see regional branches barely making any money or even losing it and HQ doesn't seem to care and even has money to blow on huge tradeshow events (did anyone see MSI's booth at PAX Prime???)

As for how much it costs to build a GPU, that depends on your volume. The cost is in the equipment, and once you've done that, I suspect the capacitors and whatnot are a fairly small factor with premium card board cost (not including RAM) being in the neighborhood of 10s of dollars.

DRAM spot pricing is available online. You can assume big guys like ASUS or MSI are paying less than that on contract though.

I don't know how any of this stacks up for low end. I'm talking about gaming class cards.

NVIDIA is a public company. You can see their profit margins if you want.

As for the cost of the materials of a GPU, I can help with the reverse math somewhat.

At MSRP retailers are making something along the lines of 10% gross margin after marketing kickbacks from NVIDIA and the board partner (usually a passthrough from NVIDIA in many cases that they spend discretionally)

Regional branches of board partners are making in the neighborhood of the same amount - I suspect quite a bit less in some cases. 

Where my knowledge gets fuzzy is in how much the HQ is making on it when they sell to the regional branch - this is how the math works in order to reduce the profitability of regional branches and minimize taxes. I suspect it's in the neighborhood of 20%-30% because of how frequently I see regional branches barely making any money or even losing it and HQ doesn't seem to care and even has money to blow on huge tradeshow events (did anyone see MSI's booth at PAX Prime???)

As for how much it costs to build a GPU, that depends on your volume. The cost is in the equipment, and once you've done that, I suspect the capacitors and whatnot are a fairly small factor with premium card board cost (not including RAM) being in the neighborhood of 10s of dollars.

DRAM spot pricing is available online. You can assume big guys like ASUS or MSI are paying less than that on contract though.

I don't know how any of this stacks up for low end. I'm talking about gaming class cards.

Thank you for responding. Could we do a Hangout chat sometime? You are totally awesome.

Again - not as complex as the core itself - the core houses billions of transistors whereas the PCB houses less I believe

I was referring to how that would drop the price. :P

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White