AMD Cuts All GPU Prices Including R9 Fury X, Fury And Nano – Down To As Low As $569, $499 And $549 Respectively

Mr_Troll

Not really. Let's be honest here: on equal performance per dollar grounds, AMD will always loose. There's just currently too much bias against AMD from reviewers, from the public in general, etc. The only chance they have at moving cards is undercutting: worst margins are better than warehouses of unsold products.

More over, margins are not everything they're highly dependant on your sales volumes: it's why publishers and devs make more money during steam sales and such than at normal retail price: a tiny margin on 100k units it's a lot better than a large margin on 10k units since well the profits are not linearly tied at the same rate your production and distribution and marketing costs are.

I understand digital distribution making more money on sales rather than physical products. It costs very little to do all that in comparison.

Only thing I get is the whole not wanting warehouses full of stock when you could have sold it all for a little less profit. But still, this early on? They must have a lot still in stock.

I understand digital distribution making more money on sales rather than physical products. It costs very little to do all that in comparison.

Only thing I get is the whole not wanting warehouses full of stock when you could have sold it all for a little less profit. But still, this early on? They must have a lot still in stock.

True yet we're talking 5 to 10% discounts not 75%. Plus the main point is what I said: on a fair apples to apples sales AMD will loose to Nvidia. There's nothing they can immediately do about that without actually selling their stock and making back their costs at least even at the expense of better margins.

-------

Current Rig

-------

True yet we're talking 5 to 10% discounts not 75%. Plus the main point is what I said: on a fair apples to apples sales AMD will loose to Nvidia. There's nothing they can immediately do about that without actually selling their stock and making back their costs at least even at the expense of better margins.

Any cut in price like that is still a huge profit loss once you total everything up.

just buy dual Furys and enjoy damn good performance for a few years...

But Gemini is coming! :o

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Not really. Let's be honest here: on equal performance per dollar grounds, AMD will always loose. There's just currently too much bias against AMD from reviewers, from the public in general, etc. The only chance they have at moving cards is undercutting: worst margins are better than warehouses of unsold products.

More over, margins are not everything they're highly dependant on your sales volumes: it's why publishers and devs make more money during steam sales and such than at normal retail price: a tiny margin on 100k units it's a lot better than a large margin on 10k units since well the profits are not linearly tied at the same rate your production and distribution and marketing costs are.

And how sad is it that AMD has to be cheaper. Even when they deliver revolutionary tech like HBM, and built in AIO. But AMD is moving in the right direction. Crimson is a nice first step and gives hope for a much better step in the right direction.

Well not necessarily. In micro economics, we are talking supply and demand; and pricing there is a science. Here is a very simple illustration on the price set on a product in a market. P is the optimal price:

curve.jpg

Of course things are much more complex with shadow pricing, price elasticity, competition, and so on.

Like above, it can easily be a supply/demand thing. With a massive 4096 stream processors, both the chips and HBM might be low in supply, causing the initial launch price to be higher than needed. With supply slowly increasing due to better yield, SK Hynix, ramping up HBM production, etc, the price of the products might simply be cheaper to manufacture now, as well as stock is starting to build up properly. I wouldn't be alarmed at all.

Honestly I think the entire 300 series (as well as NVidia's 900 series) would plummet in price, come spring/summer next year, as the 14/16nm FF products might blow away everything on the market.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

But Gemini is coming! :o

meh, by now i am no longer even excited about it....

It was "due" in october (autumn)... i dont care... it will launch WAY too close to next gen GPUs, which will be as fast or faster on single GPU...

Any cut in price like that is still a huge profit loss once you total everything up.

Umm no: I just when over why that is not always the case, specially in the case of a weakened company like AMD facing strong resistance. But since you basically responded to none of the points made and just reiterated your opinion as if it was an absolute economical fact, I'll just move on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And how sad is it that AMD has to be cheaper. Even when they deliver revolutionary tech like HBM, and built in AIO. But AMD is moving in the right direction. Crimson is a nice first step and gives hope for a much better step in the right direction.

It seems like AMD's market share amongst average PC gaming consumers is lower than it is amongst tech enthusiasts like you find on this forum.

Because the 'geforce' brand name is more recognizable. And some people still propagate old myths such as "AMD driver suck" and when you start planting ideas like that in people's heads then it gets reinforced by every little problem that crops up. Because of Nvidia's brand strength and marketing even when they have serious problems people just criticize that particular problem rather than making general statements such as "Nvidia driver's suck".

That's a marketing issue which AMD needs to eventually come out of. Amongst the enthusiast community they have come out of it to a large extent but not so for the larger consumer base.

just buy dual Furys and enjoy damn good performance for a few years...

Games like Failout 4 and Badport Arkham or that lame Batman game do not support dual GPU's.

Buying dual Furys is a waste of money.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

It seems like AMD's market share amongst average PC gaming consumers is lower than it is amongst tech enthusiasts like you find on this forum.

Because the 'geforce' brand name is more recognizable. And some people still propagate old myths such as "AMD driver suck" and when you start planting ideas like that in people's heads then it gets reinforced by every little problem that crops up. Because of Nvidia's brand strength and marketing even when they have serious problems people just criticize that particular problem rather than making general statements such as "Nvidia driver's suck".

That's a marketing issue which AMD needs to eventually come out of. Amongst the enthusiast community they have come out of it to a large extent but not so for the larger consumer base.

Honestly I think the issue is more b2b. Look around at gaming boutiques. Pretty much every place you can buy premade gaming systems, they come with NVidia as standard. A lot of places (especially here in Denmark), you simply cannot even pick an AMD GPU in your build.

That would explain why non techies tend to get NVidia: They simply don't have any choice, and don't know any better. They just buy the highest model number they can afford.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Honestly I think the issue is more b2b. Look around at gaming boutiques. Pretty much every place you can buy premade gaming systems, they come with NVidia as standard. A lot of places (especially here in Denmark), you simply cannot even pick an AMD GPU in your build.

That would explain why non techies tend to get NVidia: They simply don't have any choice, and don't know any better. They just buy the highest model number they can afford.

Yep - thing is - people in Bulgaria have it even worse since the adds go something along the lives of "Powerful 2GB GPU!" - it's a GT 610 2GB DDR3 - people pay the same they would for a 750 Ti in such a config but if an AMD system is available they just ignore it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yep - thing is - people in Bulgaria have it even worse since the adds go something along the lives of "Powerful 2GB GPU!" - it's a GT 610 2GB DDR3 - people pay the same they would for a 750 Ti in such a config but if an AMD system is available they just ignore it.

Yep people treat GPUs as plain basic memory not cards!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yep people treat GPUs as plain basic memory not cards!

Yep - and the bias is strong. From HardwareBG

"I want a new GPU around 500BGN (300-320$)

It must be 256-bit

It must be 2GB minimum

It must be enough for AAA games at decent settings

AMD not allowed"

He ended up overspending since he didn't like the 960-s bus. 380 was ignored. 380X was ignored

Yep - and the bias is strong. From HardwareBG

"I want a new GPU around 500BGN (300-320$)

It must be 256-bit

It must be 2GB minimum

It must be enough for AAA games at decent settings

AMD not allowed"

He ended up overspending since he didn't like the 960-s bus. 380 was ignored. 380X was ignored

Interested on the stupid reason he is avoiding AMD, must another one of those geniuses that think they will save much from the power bill.  

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Interested on the stupid reason he is avoiding AMD, must another one of those geniuses that think they will save much from the power bill.  

he didn't even bother to give a reason. He ended up with the 970 Turbo from Asus - the one that can melt it's own VRMs

he didn't even bother to give a reason. He ended up with the 970 Turbo from Asus - the one that can melt it's own VRMs

You can't reason with the unreasonable. :P

These price drops are awesome news along side the new Crimson software suite release. Now I'm REALLY tempted to sell both my 290's and get a Fury or Fury X instead. Crossfire is great... when it works. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

You can't reason with the unreasonable. :P

These price drops are awesome news along side the new Crimson software suite release. Now I'm REALLY tempted to sell both my 290's and get a Fury or Fury X instead. Crossfire is great... when it works. ;)

Fury Master race :D

Finnish retailers are still asking 649,00€ from Fury Tri-X.  :wub:

Damnit.. okay.  I am snagging a pair of Tri-X Fury's.  Screw it.  I need it.  Here I come 4k-ish.

Damnit.. okay.  I am snagging a pair of Tri-X Fury's.  Screw it.  I need it.  Here I come 4k-ish.

Can you get 3 and send me one as well? :) :)  :)

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Probably a few copies of Star Wars Battlefront included ;) ​

Probably a few copies of Star Wars Battlefront included ;) ​

Are you hinting at something?  B)