2xGTX960s or 1 GTX 970?

SomeGreekGuy

Should I go with 1 gtx970 4GB now, or go with 1 gtx960 4GB now and in the future add a second one?

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

Get the most powerful single GPU you can initially,  if you can afford a 970 get that, if you can't get the 960(if you want to stay with Nvidia). As far as which one is faster that is obvious.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Get the most powerful single GPU you can initially,  if you can afford a 970 get that, if you can't get the 960(if you want to stay with Nvidia). As far as which one is faster that is obvious.

Well I know that much, but will the 2 960s in SLI be better than 1 970?

Cause I know that SLI doesn't scale too well...

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

One 390

Are you saying that cause you are team red or cause it's better for gaming etc?

Its better for gaming

It's going to be better in terms of price per performance for gaming and stuff, plus it has more VRAM.

Sig under construction.

R9 390 is the best 970

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

One 390 (Sapphire)

That puts me WAY out of my budget. Sugesting a 970 is pushing it...

Like the boys said, get an R9 390, it performs better than the 970 in most situations because of dat vram. 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

That puts me WAY out of my budget. Sugesting a 970 is pushing it...

Its cheaper than a 970...

I was going with the MSI r9 380 4G 4GB card, but the shop that I'm buying the PC from, doesn't have it anymore. So I'm out looking for something new.

I MIGHT be able to afford the MSI r9 390 8GB card, but it is REALLY pushing my buget.

What about the Asus Strix R9 380X 4GB Gaming?

Are you getting a prebuilt? Friends don't let friends buy prebuilts. Build it yourself and get a 390. Or 290 as long as it's a Sapphire.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Are you getting a prebuilt? Friends don't let friends buy prebuilts. Build it yourself and get a 390. Or 290 as long as it's a Sapphire.

I'm getting it prebuilt, so I have an extra 3yrs warranty on the PC.

I'm a noob and have never built a PC on my own, and I don't know a "PC Geek" to help me build it...

I kid you not, the shop only has one option for r9 390 Saphire cards, and it's 570 euros. That is half of my buget...

Well I know that much, but will the 2 960s in SLI be better than 1 970?

Cause I know that SLI doesn't scale too well...

SLI scaling varies on a game by game basis due to less than ideal SLI profiles or the lack of them all together on release. Generally speaking major game releases will also have a "game ready" driver that releases that usually has an SLI profile, in that situation you can expect about 30%+ scaling on the low end barring any bad driver releases or poor coding on the part of the game dev. Over time the profiles can improve and result in better performance but sometimes you can end up stuck in a situation where a new game releases and your stuck waiting for better drivers using both cards with poor scaling or even just one card due to a lack of an SLI profile. In some rare cases where you have no SLI profile attempting to run the game in SLI can result in performance that is worse than a single card or just flat out errors with the game like crashes and flickering.

That being said while 960 SLI is faster than a 970 you are more limited the lower down the tree you go, getting a 970 if you can afford it and adding another later will be a better decision than getting a 960 and adding another later. You should never buy two mid range cards to SLI right off the bat. You should always buy the most powerful single GPU you can afford and if you so desire make preparations for another GPU for SLI later by buying an appropriate motherboard and power supply. The alternative is forgoing the multi GPU setup idea entirely and just replacing your single GPU with another single GPU when it's not powerful enough anymore.

Relevant video

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Would you let someone else dress you? No, no you would not. There are videos of 7 year old children building PCs, its that easy. Warranties are only as good as the company who sells it, and if you build a PC you have the manufacturer of the parts which is much larger than the shop you're dealing with.

BUILD IT!

Would you let someone else dress you? No, no you would not. There are videos of 7 year old children building PCs, its that easy. Warranties are only as good as the company who sells it, and if you build a PC you have the manufacturer of the parts which is much larger than the shop you're dealing with.

BUILD IT!

Well then, would you mind coming to Greece to help me through a PC build?

Well then, would you mind coming to Greece to help me through a PC build?

In a heartbeat, if I had the money lol. I honestly didn't know ANYTHING about computers 6 months ago. I watched every YouTube video on building a PC I could find (how I found this forum) and built my own rig. Now I switch cards and parts testing different configurations without worry. You'll have a better PC and something to be proud of if you build it yourself.

There are 290x cards going for very low prices right now, don't forget them but avoid the blower type.

I'm getting it prebuilt, so I have an extra 3yrs warranty on the PC.

I'm a noob and have never built a PC on my own, and I don't know a "PC Geek" to help me build it...

I kid you not, the shop only has one option for r9 390 Saphire cards, and it's 570 euros. That is half of my buget...

OP, listen to @App4that, building your own PC is a much more economic route. Watch pretty much any build log on LTT, I suggest starting with the budget PC build guide. It's the equivalent of adult Lego.

If someone is building the PC for you, there's usually a hefty premium associated with putting it together.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

OP, listen to @App4that, building your own PC is a much more economic route. Watch pretty much any build log on LTT, I suggest starting with the budget PC build guide. It's the equivalent of adult Lego.

If someone is building the PC for you, there's usually a hefty premium associated with putting it together.

Actualy, it's free. Plus I get it at my front door.

:P

And it's not the assembaly that conserns me, it's the installing the software etc.