Grounding without a case

Clanscorpia

Hi, I dont have my case yet and I want to test out all my parts so can I ground myself with just a psu? I'm on a wooden table on a wooden floor so I wont generate much static. Can I just keep touching my psu to discharge my static?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I build my PC's in my room on a plastic table, with socks on on a carpeted floor. Never had an issue, not saying you will but static discharge isn't as prevalent a danger as you might think.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Static electricity can be caused by clothing moving around as well. When using your power supply to discharge static, it must be off and plugged in. If you're testing parts, the power supply may not be available to discharge it unless it's in the Off position the entire time. If it's in the On position and you discharge static electricity into it, that will get transferred to your parts and could destroy them if anything is connected.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi, I dont have my case yet and I want to test out all my parts so can I ground myself with just a psu? I'm on a wooden table on a wooden floor so I wont generate much static. Can I just keep touching my psu to discharge my static?

Usually discharging isn't necessary but I just touch my PSU every time I am going to work on something just to be safe.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

plug your psu in and keep it powered off and touch it every few minutes or when youre about to pick up a sensitive component and you will be fine

wrist straps are nice and all but not needed and can sometimes just get in the way 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

this is completely unnecessary

Depends on where you live.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Static electricity can be caused by clothing moving around as well. When using your power supply to discharge static, it must be off and plugged in. If you're testing parts, the power supply may not be available to discharge it unless it's in the Off position the entire time. If it's in the On position and you discharge static electricity into it, that will get transferred to your parts and could destroy them if anything is connected.

power supplies are grounded whenever the power cable is plugged in

it does not matter if it is on or not

the static electricity discharges to gnd

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

power supplies are grounded whenever the power cable is plugged in

it does not matter if it is on or not

the static electricity discharges to gnd

Suppose someone uses an adapter. That unit is not grounded anymore and therefore cannot be used as a ground.

Depends on where you live.

no, its unnecessary

convenient maybe, but there is no place on earth where you must wear one of those

even if you are completely paranoid you can just touch the metal case or psu every few seconds and everything will be ok

Spoiler

no, its unnecessary

convenient maybe, but there is no place on earth where you must wear one of those

even if you are completely paranoid you can just touch the metal case or psu every few seconds and everything will be ok

Doing it every few seconds is highly inconvenient. If you live in an area where you DO need to do it every few seconds, why do that and just get a wrist strap? Additionally, at my work place, you MUST be grounded at all times - heel straps or otherwise.

Suppose someone uses an adapter. That unit is not grounded anymore and therefore cannot be used as a ground.

that still has nothing to do with it being on or not

and by "plugged in" i mean properly plugged in, with a grounded cable, and a house that has a grounding wire

it is extremely dangerous to plug a PC in with no ground, all instruction manuals for every PSU state this

an adapter like you described does not count as being plugged in, because the ground is not plugged in like it should be

Spoiler

Doing it every few seconds is highly inconvenient. If you live in an area where you DO need to do it every few seconds, why do that and just get a wrist strap? Additionally, at my work place, you MUST be grounded at all times - heel straps or otherwise.

if you are building a PC it is extremely easy to just brush up against the case every time before you pick up a GPU or something...

i mean the case is RIGHT THERE...youre putting the components in the case anyway,how hard is it to move a finger 2 inches

Spoiler

I cant be asked to touch the power supply every 30 seconds.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

if the PSU is switched on, it should provide a discharge for static. Certainly not safe though. It would discharge through the primary/secondary suppression capacitor. 24 pin obviously gets plugged in last

So get a metal wire, tape one side to your leg and the other side to your PSU, problem solved and cheap AF.

Or you could just take the non-ghetto way out and use a wrist strap. Slips on and off, and allows you to move around easier.

Or you could just take the non-ghetto way out and use a wrist strap. Slips on and off, and allows you to move around easier.

But if you go ghetto you save money which you can use to get better components and if you use a long enough wire moving around won't be a problem.

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

But if you go ghetto you save money which you can use to get better components and if you use a long enough wire moving around won't be a problem.

This wrist strap is $1.73. It is not likely to allow you to buy a more expensive component that's actually worth while.

Static electricity can be caused by clothing moving around as well.

Are you saying that I shouldn't wear clothes while building my computer? ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

This wrist strap is $1.73. It is not likely to allow you to buy a more expensive component that's actually worth while.

Well, for that money you can easilly make a ghetto fan controller and do some ghetto LED mods to your case.